PDA

View Full Version : Ira Sachs: MARRIED LIFE

mouton
03-30-2008, 04:36 PM
MARRIED LIFE
Written by Ira Sachs and Oren Moverman
Directed by Ira Sachs
Starring: Chris Cooper, Patricia Clarkson, Pierce Brosnan and Rachel McAdams

Richard Langley: I always felt marriage was like a mild illness, like the flu or chicken pox.

The biggest problem with MARRIED LIFE, the movie not the state of existence, is the tone set by its title. Before even setting foot in the theatre, your mind is filled with preconceived notions about the likelihoods the film will deliver. You cannot expect a film called MARRIED LIFE to show long term couples just as happy now as they were when they first met. In fact, in these cynical times, you might likely be disappointed if you didn’t see spouses abusing each other, scheming and plotting against the other or, if you want to be old fashioned, just plain cheating on each other. Perhaps to offset these expectations, writer/director, Ira Sachs, sets his story in the 1940’s, a supposedly simpler time when people were married and stayed that way despite their personal unhappiness. Even a setting as delicately composed as this one is not a good enough disguise for its contemporary sensibility. The film’s fate seems sealed as soon as the opening credits begin to roll. Similar in design and manner to television’s “Desperate Housewives”, a show that has built its reputation on couples scheming, they seem to announce Sach’s intention to give us exactly what we expect. Only when the final animated frame settles on a city skyline and you expect the real thing to take its place, Sachs reveals that it is in fact a reflection. With the lens pointing inward now, I wonder if I’ve spoken too soon.

Like the beginning of a marriage, for a while, it is good. The strings of the score swell and sweep you up into the sentiment like a warm wind taking you for a dance in the sky overlooking a quiet family-friendly suburban street. This particular street is home to Harry and Pat Allen (Chris Cooper and Patricia Clarkson). The two have been married for what might as well be forever and they still cherish and respect each other but whether they still love each other is a question that looms over their lives like a heavy cloud. Harry believes that love is defined by the desire to give constantly to the other person. Pat believes that love is sex. Despite their definitions being categorically on different pages, they are a solid, functional couple. However, Harry has found another woman, Kay (Rachel McAdams in a refreshing return that is more tender and vulnerable than past performances) for whom continuously being doted on is the perfect compliment to her lonely life. I suppose it doesn’t hurt that she is younger and beautiful but Harry conveniently avoids seeing this as the motivating factor for his affection.

And so Harry finds himself in quite the pickle. He doesn’t want to burden his wife with the embarrassment of a divorce but yet he cannot deny that he is no longer in love with her. Harry is a sensible businessman who lives his life with order and reason and is still able to embrace his more romantic sensibility, wanting his life to embody the love he feels. He racks his brain to come up with the tidiest, most logical solution to his dilemma and somehow, the best plan he can come up with is to kill his wife. He rationalizes that this will cause the least amount of pain to all involved, including his children. Is it me or is this the least rational course of action? Essentially, this becomes MARRIED LIFE’s main storyline and as it is ridiculous in concept, it also serves to undermine the intelligence of what was otherwise a fairly engaging film. Even Sachs seems unsure of this whole direction as he throws in a couple of painfully obvious scenes about how death can take away misery rather than add to it. If Sachs isn’t buying it, I’m not sure how he thought anyone else would.

Despite its shortcomings, MARRIED LIFE does plant a few seeds of wisdom in its perfectly tended garden. The banalities of spending every day of your life with the same person are accepted by most of the characters as a perfectly normal piece of the pie. With decades past between their time and ours, have we really changed all that much? There are so many things happening and left unsaid in any marriage with both partners none the wiser. Subsequently, we have fine-tuned an uncanny ability to exist in a state of comfortable misery. We may look elsewhere for distraction but so many never walk away from what they know isn’t working. Applying that same logic makes sitting through MARRIED LIFE entirely acceptable while you wonder what’s playing next door.

www.blacksheepreviews.com

Chris Knipp
03-30-2008, 08:39 PM
.He racks his brain to come up with the tidiest, most logical solution to his dilemma and somehow, the best plan he can come up with is to kill his wife. He rationalizes that this will cause the least amount of pain to all involved, including his children. Is it me or is this the least rational course of action? Essentially, this becomes MARRIED LIFE’s main storyline and as it is ridiculous in concept, it also serves to undermine the intelligence of what was otherwise a fairly engaging film. Even Sachs seems unsure of this whole direction as he throws in a couple of painfully obvious scenes about how death can take away misery rather than add to it. If Sachs isn’t buying it, I’m not sure how he thought anyone else would. It's odd that you take the movie's premise and say it "undermines" it's "intelligence" [sic]. It's the premise! Let me quote a review: "The movie is a goof on Hitchcock and Sirk—a period (late forties) soap opera with nasty sexual undertones and the omnipresent threat of murder" (David Edelstein, New York Magazine). Or another (Lisa Schwartzbaum, Entertainment Weekly): "Married Life congratulates its audience on a sophisticated, humorous complicity in the obvious immorality of Harry's murder plans. . ." If you have not tuned in to a movie, are not sharing in the "humorous complicity," how can you write about it? Things seem very muddled in your review right from the beginning, where you try to analyze the movie using only the title and opening credits. "They are a solid, functional couple," you say. What does that mean? Their marriage is a facade. And we're meant to see that. "Essentially, this [murdering his wife] becomes MARRIED LIFE’s main storyline and as it is ridiculous in concept, it also serves to undermine the intelligence of what was otherwise a fairly engaging film. " What!? Certainly, Harry's plan is "ridiculous in concept." It's meant to be. So you're saying, this would be a fairly engaging film if the director merely abandoned its basic premise? That makes no sense at all.

I am not defending the film. I don't think it succeeds very well either. It's a little too buttoned down, or as you put it too much a "well tended garden," for its drollery to be effective. However, your description of it, which takes a long time to get started, wouldn't be much help to people who haven't seen it or make much sense to those who have. You don't seem to have, or to convey, much sense of what the movie is trying to do. It may be a little unclear, but it's not that unclear.

I saw Married Life as an official selection of the New York Film Festival last September and my review (http://www.filmwurld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=18538#post18538) is in the Filmleaf "Festival Coverage" thread for the NYFF.

oscar jubis
07-14-2008, 11:41 AM
MARRIED LIFE

I avoided Married Life when it played at the Miami International Film Festival because I knew it would come to theaters. I missed it unintentionally during its brief commercial release in the spring. I finally saw it when it was recently screened again just as it became available on dvd. It's the first time writer/director Ira Sachs abandons the contemporary Memphis setting and oedipal scenarios of his two previous features: The Delta and 40 Shades of Blue.

It's unfair at this late date to criticize the thread-opening review by mouton (the last one he's posted at filmleaf) so I'll just refer to his concern with audience expectations when he writes: "Before even setting foot in the theatre, your mind is filled with preconceived notions about the likelihoods the film will deliver." He discussed his expectations relative to the title. In my case, it was the promotion trailer and the buoyant and brilliant opening-credits sequence that led me to expect something more comedic than the couple of chuckles Married Life delivered. Having adjusted my expectations a few minutes into the film, I settled for Sachs' ironic take on love and marriage at precisely the middle of the 20th century. I was disappointed that Married Life has little to say about the American post-war era and middle-class mores besides hackneyed observations about the era's demands for probity and conformity and the resulting dishonesty and hypocrisy. The focus is narrow in that it doesn't incorporate issues of race and class or project its themes into the future. Instead, Married Life invites contemporary audiences to regard the proceedings with smug superiority.

It's not that Married Life is significantly flawed but its limited ambitions are too obvious. Actually I found much to enjoy in its careful period recreation, its mixture of straight drama and suspenseful murder plot, and its wonderful performers: Patricia Clarkson and Chris Cooper always enhance any film in which they appear, and Pierce Brosnan and Rachel McAdams are gorgeous and well-cast. Moreover, film buffs will enjoy the numerous references to 1950s Hollywood, including Hitchcock's The Trouble with Harry and Vertigo.

Married Life is to some extent a meditation on the nature of love and marriage. The narrative stems from a bedside dialogue between Harry (Cooper) and his wife Pat (Clarkson). For Harry, marriage is a conduit to happiness, which derives from romantic notions of giving and receiving. Pat is a more enigmatic and perhaps problematic character. She tells Harry that for her marriage "is all about sex" but, when he hesitates to tell her he loves her, she weeps and develops psychosomatic symptoms even though she's getting sex from a neighbor. While not profound or especially insightful, Married Life fosters the viewer's consideration of what love means and what marriage represents. However enjoyable, the film ultimately evinces that this match between filmmaker and material was not made in heaven.