PDA

View Full Version : Susanne Bier's THINGS WE LOST IN THE FIRE

oscar jubis
10-28-2007, 09:27 AM
What sets apart Danish helmer Susanne Bier's new Things We Lost in the Fire from her previous films is only the language spoken. Her Hollywood move didn't require compromising her style or abandoning her central themes. The films by which Bier achieved an international reputation involve complex people facing tragic situations within the context of the family unit. She's not afraid of "big" emotions, perhaps because she knows she can handle them without resorting to melodramatic devices. Things We Lost in the Fire also fits that description, and Halle Berry and Benicio del Toro are every bit as accomplished as the Danish thespians that were so impressive in films like Brothers and Open Hearts.

Berry is Audrey, a housewife and mother whose husband Steven (David Duchovny) is killed when he attempts to protect a woman from her enraged husband. Audrey has always disapproved of Steven's friendship with his heroin-addicted childhood friend Jerry (del Toro). Audrey knows Steven would want Jerry at the funeral, so she sends her brother to fetch him. It becomes evident that Jerry has lost the only person who didn't abandon him when he became a heavy user. Audrey tentatively assumes her husband's role in Jerry's life and draws closer in order to help him. She asks Jerry to move into her garage. Afflicted by tragic loss and the burden of helping her 6 year-old son and 10 year-old daughter through the crisis, Audrey, and the kids, begin to rely on Jerry.

Bier's desperate characters have always been multi-faceted. Jerry may be vulnerable and self-destructive but he's also smart and generous. Benicio del Toro, one of our best actors, imbues him with warmth and humor, even when Jerry is being put though the familiar, low ebbs of an addict's life. What's most interesting and sustaining about Things We Lost in the Fire is Audrey's ambivalence about her relationship with Jerry, her constant push-and-pull. Particularly rewarding are passages in which Jerry assumes a benign, paternal role in the lives of the kids. He fills a void in the kids' lives where dad used to be. Berry effortlessly conveys Audrey's conflicting appreciation and resentment towards Jerry.

The most common criticism aimed at Things We Lost in the Fire concerns Steven being too good to be true; too "saintly", in the words of a prominent critic. Indeed, he is depicted as a thoughtful husband, loyal friend, good samaritan and "genius" real-estate developer. And I'd agree he is the film's least interesting character. But Steven is clearly a secondary character. One only seen post-mortem, in flashbacks. These are, to some extent, the memories of those who loved him; what they miss about him.

Bier is "the new kid in town" and her fame and recognition is well-deserved. Both Brothers and Open Hearts are slated for Hollywood remakes. Her last Danish film, After the Wedding, received an Oscar nomination, and good reviews when it opened in US theaters in the spring. Bier has a knack for finding fresh angles from which to approach familiar situations. Things We Lost in the Fire, her first English-language film, is no exception.

Chris Knipp
10-28-2007, 11:59 AM
I can't see this in Paris! I think it's coming here later; I saw a trailer. Of course I will be interested. We disagreed on Brothers. I thought it was a bit forced. But of course she is an interesting director. And I'm excited to see what she does with Benicio del Toro.

oscar jubis
10-28-2007, 03:58 PM
A bit forced but also "powerful", you said about Brothers. Don't expect anything different from her American film. Even her trademark extreme facial close-ups survived the continental trip. Mr. del Toro could get nominated thus giving the film some needed press. Americans watch the films the press tell them are important and worth getting off the couch for.

Chris Knipp
10-29-2007, 06:21 AM
\i hope you get to see NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN--opening \Nov. 8 I think. I cannot see many mainstream movies coming that look interesting. I guess SWEENEY TODD. THERE WILL BE BLOOD (P.T. Anderson). It looks bad, so far. I don't know what foreign films will open.

oscar jubis
10-29-2007, 09:18 AM
It's going to be hard to keep up with the number of potentially good movies coming out.
Lust, Caution has been here for a couple of weeks and I have yet to watch it. Rendition and Reservation Road deal with issues of pressing concern. Same goes for Robert Redford's LIONS FOR LAMBS with Cruise, Streep, and Redford himself. Mike Newell brings his adaptation of G.G. Marquez's LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA with Bardem. There's also MARGOT AT THE WEDDING (you've seen it), Todd Haynes' I'M NOT THERE (ditto), THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY (you like), NO COUNTRY (on Nov. 21st in NY/LA), Sidney Lumet's BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD, and the film I'm most excited about, already highly praised by Hoberman and Rosenbaum at fests and hated by those who like their art neat and safe or don't like art at all, from Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko): SOUTHLAND TALES.

Then comes December...

Chris Knipp
10-29-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm interested to see Southland Tales too, which has been around a while, but not available to us.

I also like I'm Not There.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is showing here in Paris by the way.

I'm afraid those "of pressing interest" movies look pretty bad from trailers and reviews. You didn't mention Redacted. Of course that is a bit of a mess, and has been generally panned already. In the Valley of Elah, I would consider a worthy stab at "pressing interest", possibly better than the others. I think Redacted has a hell of a lot more edge to it than Rendition etc.

Anyway thanks for mentioning these because they are supposed to be serious and for some reason I couldn't find anything like that on the "upcoming relase" websites just now.

Maybe like me you aren't really too excited by the sound of Lust, Caution. I let it pass in NYC.

oscar jubis
10-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Redacted opens in November too (although who knows how all these films are going to fit into available screen space) and looks interesting. We've established you like Elah more than me. I'm not passing on Lust Caution. I was on my way there a little while ago and the traffic was unusaully heavy so I turned around (hate catching a film that's begun). It will play here at least for one more week.

Chris Knipp
10-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Of course you should see Lust, Caution and you should see Redacted. I'll doubtless see Lus, Caution when the opportunity arises. Too bad about the traffic. That has happened to me in driving to San Francisco from the East Bay. Sometimes the traffic is terrible on the Bay Bridge and you just have to abort the mission.

I am in Rome now, and i hve seen Coppola's new movie, Youth without Youth. Strange thing. But to see it here with original soundtrack is cool.