PDA

View Full Version : Julie Taymor's ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

oscar jubis
10-21-2007, 05:38 PM
"The next few weeks went by in a blur. People began to grow their hair; some affected British (or when they could pull it off, Liverpool) accents. A friend got his hands on a Beatles album unavailable in the U.S. and made a considerable amount charging people for the chance to hear John Lennon singing "Money (that's what I want)" at two bucks a shot. Excitement wasn't in the air; it was the air.

A few days after that first performance in the Sullivan show I spent an evening with some friends in a cafe. It was, or anyway had been, a folk club. This night one heard only Meet the Beatles. The music snaking through the dark, suddenly spooky room, was instantly recognizable and like nothing we had ever heard. It was joyous, threatening, absurd, arrogant, determined, tough and innocent.

It was not simply a matter of music, but of event. The event was a pop explosion; an irresistible cultural upheaval that cuts across lines of class and race and, most crucially, divides society itself by age. The surface of daily life (walk, talk, dress, symbolism, heroes, family affairs) is affected with such force that deep and substantive changes in the way large numbers of people think and act take place. Pop explosions must link up with, and accelerate, broad shifts in sexual behavior, economic aspirations and political beliefs; a pervasive sense of chaos, such as that which hit England in 1963 with the Profumo scandal, and the U.S. in the mid-60s with the civil rights movement, the Kennedy assassination, and later the Vietnam war, doesn't hurt."
(Greil Marcus, The Rolling Stone History of Rock & Roll)

Julie Taymor's Across the Universe is a musical about that "pop explosion". It is also a triumph of art versus commerce. Or more specifically, Taymor prevailing over Revolution Studios chief Joe Roth, who wanted to release a significantly shorter, studio-sponsored version. Across the Universe is certainly ambitious: to tell the story of the 60s in America using the best pop songbook of the era: the songs of The Beatles.

During that turbulent decade, a culture and a society became transformed by the civil rights and feminist movements, an unpopular war, the assassinations of charismatic leaders, and millions demanding radical change. Taymor dramatizes the era by weaving a plot propelled by songs. These are mostly performed by actors playing fairly representative characters. There's middle-class girl Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood), whose boyfriend dies in Vietnam. She moves to the big city and develops political consciousness. Her older brother drops out of college and fails to avoid getting drafted into the Army, but not before introducing Lucy to Jude (Jim Sturgess). Like John Lennon, he grew up in working-class Liverpool. Jude comes to America searching for better prospects and the father he's never met. These are easily recognizable, somewhat archetypal characters befitting the nature and aims of the film.

Some of the well-known songs used in Across the Universe are transformed by the new arrangements and context given. At a slower tempo and without the insistent backbeat that turned it into the group's first #1 hit, "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" becomes a melancholy song about undeclared passion. It's sung here by T.V. Carpio, as a high school girl named Prudence (by now you've figured the names of the characters are borrowed from Beatles songs) who can't reveal her attraction for a cheerleader. Not in 1964; not in small town Ohio. "It Won't Be Long" is presented as a carefully crafted girl-group ditty of staggering intensity, a mythical celebration of The Boy. Perhaps the most ingeniously used lyrics belong to "Let it Be". The first verse is sung by a black kid using a car to shield himself from riotous violence then, most poignantly, it becomes a gospel hymn during what turns out to be the kid's funeral. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", initially a break-up song for joplinesque Sadie and her guitarist boyfriend, is also used to mourn the death of Martin Luther King Jr.

Other numbers stand out for their choreography, or their mise-en-scene. "With a Little Help From My Friends", in which the joints being passed around are imaginary (to avoid an "R" rating), evokes scenes from Richard Lester's Beatlemania celebration A Hard Day's Night. The made-for-TV Magical Mystery Tour is echoed during "I Am the Walrus", which includes a memorable cameo performance by U2 frontman Bono. Elements from both Yellow Submarine and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band mesh effortlessly in the breathtakingly inventive "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite", reportedly the two surviving Beatles' favorite number and one producer Roth planned to exclude from the theatrical cut.

Simply speaking, Across the Universe works. It's a consistently entertaining, often delightful and moving film that achieves its lofty goals. That doesn't mean one can possibly agree with every one of the thousands of artistic decisions involved in choreographing, arranging, and giving narrative context to the beloved songs. Morover, there's a downside to having actors like Ms. Wood and Mr. Sturgess do their own singing_at times, they are just adequate. It'd be unreasonable to expect them to deliver musical performances of the caliber of Bono's or Joe Cocker's magnificent "Come Together". Having said that, Across the Universe is on its way to becoming a cult hit, the type to which viewers return periodically, with affection. I know I will.

Johann
10-22-2007, 10:08 AM
You nailed it man.
You definitely get the movie.

It's got that same counter-culture purity that Milos Forman's
Hair has, with less drugs and hippies- those were art students who were expressing themselves.

I'll post about it more later- still got no time!

Do you like the Guess Who?

No time left for you
On my way to better things
I found myself some wings
Got
Got
Got no time

tabuno
10-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Speechless. I can't express this movie better than has been so eloquently accomplished.

Johann
10-23-2007, 09:00 AM
This movie was a totally artistic statement by Julie Taymor, a director who has creativity coming out of her pores.

Her aesthetic eye is astounding. The sharpness and authority with which she presents her stories means she's confident, bold and very clear on what she wants to do.
Theatrical elements are flaunted, and art students or live theatre goers will appreciate seeing sets and props that are sheer art.

The songs are classics, re-interpreted but not cheesy- you walk a tightrope when covering these, and like Oscar mentioned "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was transformed into a lament. It works.

I was wondering if I might be wincing at some pretention sometimes, some heavy-handed tripe, but no, Julie turns on dimes, she keeps it fresh, she keeps propelling the images and story forward, she keeps the originality up, never losing the reason why she's making the film.

I like how she takes 60's stereotypes and cliches and turns them into something that will make people think. the whole time I was watching I couldn't help but feel as if she's saying:
The 60's were hard, but a few people with artistic intuition tried to show the world the way to live: ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE.. Janis and Jimi are perfect archetypes for this type of film, which I also felt could've been cringe-inducing, but again, Taymor soars, making them out to be free spirits with brains, which is 1000% what Janis and Jimi were.

Sadly there was no Jim Morrison archetype, but he doesn't really fit into a movie loaded with Beatles songs. The only Beatle song Jim loved was "Blackbird" off the White album.

I can see some people leaving the theatre not knowing what to think (other than wow! what great images and songs!), I can see a lot of dumb people not understanding what Taymor was doing, not seeing how she's using the 60's as a mirror for our current horrifying repeat of Vietnam.

We got no Martin Luther King's today
We got no youth hitting the streets en masse protesting the horrific shit that psychopathic governments shove down our throats.
Nobody cares anymore.
Nobody's taking up the torch, which is much heavier than it was back in the day. Nobody seems to be awake, nobody seems to be conscious of what's going down. Things are getting worse minute by minute, second by second.

This film is an attempt to stir something up in the souls of people who know deep down that we are in the collective hurt locker.
It's for people who respond to art and ideas in a strong way, who get inspired by revolution, who know it must come, before it all goes down.

We need more artists like Julie Taymor.
We need gauntlets, thrown down so hard they dent concrete.

Where are the fucking leaders?
Where are the fucking revolutionaries?
I pray that they're not just in movies.

oscar jubis
10-24-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm glad you guys liked my review. Thanks for taking the time to tell me so.

Johann
10-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Quite welcome, Sir.
You honored the movie.

Edit in order for Mr. Marcus' name?

oscar jubis
10-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Correction made. Thanks.
Watched the film for the second time. Saturday audience visibly younger, more audibly responsive, but only a chuckle when a character said: "when I'm 64..."; and absolutely no reaction to "she came in through the bathroom window" in reference to Prudence. Unable to comprehend how anyone would fail to be moved by several numbers. I like this "Hey Jude" at least as much as the original, perhaps more.

Johann
10-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Beatles fans must love this movie- the references are numerous.

I laughed at the bathroom window thing- I was like "why is she coming in that way? wait a minute... ha ha!"
Clever woman, that Julie Taymor.

The Stawberry Fields part was great- with the dripping berries on the canvas...very symbolic. I think John Lennon would've loved the film. And I'm not surprised that Ringo and Paul love "Mr. Kite"- that is the centrepiece of the movie to me.

The only song to me that seemed a little forced was "Revolution"- that song should've had a better scene and better images. Seeing Jude just going around singing that song was more Jesus Christ Superstar than a political artistic statement.

But I'm just being picky. The whole film is a treasure, a real treat.
I don't know if I'll buy the soundtrack. The originals are perfect as is. (Once from the heart, it don't have no expiry).

I look forward to Taymor's next masterpiece with huge anticipation.

Is there anybody going to listen to my story?

tabuno
10-30-2007, 01:31 AM
I don't believe I'd want to trade in our original Beatles music for the soundtrack to ACROSS THE UNIVERSE yet at the same time, I would love to have the DVD. The combination of both music and visual is something even more stimulating as it touches more senses.

Johann
10-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Amen on that Tabuno.
This was one of the best films of the year.
I'll take one Across the Universe for twenty Fast and Furiouses.

There's a Fellini whimsy in some parts, there's a declaration of independence, there's a cry of love, there's point-blank jabs at misguided American foreign policy, and there's a reminder that Love means something.

You know what song would've fit right in here?
"I Don"t Want To Be A Soldier" by John Lennon.
It's from his solo days, and it packs a punch that would've been right at home in this film.

Johann
11-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Lots to say about this movie.
It's a jewel.
Saw it again for the third time and it is tremendous.
Still.

33 Beatles songs, all delivered with passion and tribute.
Thank you Julie Taymor.
The film flows, from first frame to last.
It's an absolute expression of freedom, a cinematic gauntlet.

Love it to death.
The story begins slowly, then it creeps up on you, then it surprises you, then it hits you with yet another dynamite song adaptation. Then another.

Julie Taymor is a genius.
I say again: Happiness is a Warm Gun is a scorcher.
For real.
I wanna marry Salma Hayek.
Drop to your knees gorgeous.
All songs in the film have serious punch (they're Beatles songs man!) but "Happiness" is a scorcher.
I don't know what it is, but that particular song packs a wallop.
The hospital beds, the multiple Salma Hayeks, whatever it is, this film has got some serious-ass MOXIE.

Just an absolute pleasure to sit in front of.
Thank you Julie Taymor.
You are a much-needed breath of artistic air.
Much-needed.
Thank you Julie.
THANK.
YOU.

Johann
11-13-2007, 07:47 AM
I also really loved the new version of "I Want You" from Abbey Road- that was a powerful sequence with Uncle Sam, no?
I want you so bad it's driving me mad...

The soldiers man-handling the recruits, that awesome CGI with the dental/health checks, the slamming foot locker shipping you out- that's exactly what the military is bubba.
You are a packaged product, inspected and certified, ready for deployment. Hoo-ha grandma.

Other songs that hit me right between the eyes-uh:

-"Across the Universe"- that is in my top three of fave Beatles tracks. It's just so well written...

-"Come Together"- Joe Cocker donning many hats- just wicked wicked filmmaking. A Beatle video that never was...

-"I Am the Walrus"- Bono knocks it out of the park. He's a huge Beatles fan so it's not hard to see him honoring the Fabs. He was one of the highlights of the film. "Watch how another cat swings, man!" The bus was totally psychedelic: ("Weird Load") and the Magical Mystery Tour similarities are awesome. Just awesome.
"Either you're on the bus, or you're off the bus..."

-"Hold Me Tight?"- one of the first songs of the film, with the poodle skirts, Madison Time type dancing, great vocals, just really really fresh and cool.

I could go on and on about the songs and the way Julie Taymor presents them. Just watch the fuckin' movie man. You owe it to yourself.

Oh Darlin'
Please Believe Me