PDA

View Full Version : Michelangelo Antonioni 1912 - 2007

cinemabon
07-31-2007, 03:33 PM
This article reprinted from Associated Press posted today:

Italian filmmaker Antonioni dies at 94
Father of modern angst, alienation directed ‘Blow-Up,’ ‘L'Avventura’

Updated: 9:07 a.m. ET July 31, 2007
ROME - Italian director Michelangelo Antonioni, whose depiction of alienation made him a symbol of art-house cinema with movies such as “Blow-Up” and “L’Avventura,” has died, officials and news reports said Tuesday. He was 94.
The ANSA news agency said that Antonioni died at his home on Monday evening.
“With Antonioni dies not only one of the greatest directors but also a master of modernity,” Rome Mayor Walter Veltroni said in a statement.
Antonioni depicted alienation in the modern world through sparse dialogue and long takes. Along with Federico Fellini, he helped turn post-war Italian film away from the Neorealism movement and toward a personal cinema of imagination.
In 1995, Hollywood honored his career work — about 25 films and several screenplays — with a special Oscar for lifetime achievement. By then Antonioni was a physically frail but mentally sharp 82, unable to speak but a few words because of a stroke but still translating his vision into film. The Oscar was stolen from Antonioni’s home in 1996, together with several other film prizes.
His slow-moving camera never became synonymous with box-office success, but some of his movies such “Blow-Up,” “Red Desert” and “The Passenger” reached enduring fame.
His exploration of such intellectual themes as alienation and existential malaise led Halliwell’s Film Guide to say that “L’Avventura,” Antonioni’s first critical success, made him “a hero of the highbrows.”
The critics loved that film, but the audience hissed when “L’Avventura” was presented at the 1960 Cannes Film Festival. The barest of plots, which wanders through a love affair of a couple, frustrated many viewers for its lack of action and dialogue, characteristically Antonioni.
In one point in the black-and-white film, the camera lingers and lingers on Monica Vitti, one of Antonioni’s favorite actresses, as she plays a blond, restless jet-setter.
“In the empty, silent spaces of the world, he has found metaphors that illuminate the silent places our hearts, and found in them, too, a strange and terrible beauty: austere, elegant, enigmatic, haunting,” Jack Nicholson said in presenting Antonioni with the career Oscar. Nicholson starred in the director’s 1975 film “The Passenger.”
From economics to filmmaking
Antonioni was born on Sept. 29, 1912, in the affluent northern city of Ferrara. He received a university degree in economics and soon began writing critiques for cinema magazines.
Antonioni’s first feature film, “Story of a Love Affair” (1950) was a tale of two lovers unable to cope with the ties binding them to their private lives. t Antonioni grew more interested in depicting his characters’ internal turmoil rather than their daily, down-to-earth troubles. The shift induced critics to call his cinema “internal Neorealism.”
After the international critical acclaim of “L’Avventura,” which became part of a trilogy with “The Night” (1961) and “Eclipse” (1962), Antonioni’s style was established. He steadily co-wrote his films and directed them with the recognizable touch of a painter. His signature was a unique look into people’s frustrating inability to communicate and assert themselves in society.
On Oscar award night, his wife, Enrica Fico, 41 years his junior, and “translator” for him since his 1985 stroke, said: “Michelangelo always went beyond words, to meet silence, the mystery and power of silence.”
The first success at the box office came in 1966 with “Blow Up,” about London in the swinging ’60s and a photographer who accidentally captures a murder on film.
But Antonioni with his hard-to-fathom films generally found it hard to convince Italian producers to back him. By the end of the 1960s, he was looking abroad for funds. American backing helped produce “Zabriskie Point” (1970), shot in the bleakly carved landscape of Death Valley, California.
Asked by an Italian magazine in 1980, “For whom do you make films” Antonioni replied: “I do it for it an ideal spectator who is this very director. I could never do something against my tastes to meet the public. Frankly, I can’t do it, even if so many directors do so. And then, what public? Italian? American? Japanese? French? British? Australian? They’re all different from each other.”
Using sometimes a notepad, sometimes the good communication he had with his wife and sometimes just his very expressive blue eyes, Antonioni astonished the film world in 1994 to make “Beyond the Clouds,” when ailing and hampered by the effects of the stroke.
With an international cast — John Malkovich, Jeremy Irons, Irene Jacob, and Fanny Ardant — the movie wove together three episodes based on Antonioni’s book of short stories “Quel Bowling sul Tevere” (“Bowling on the Tiber”) to explore the usual Antonioni themes.
Worried that Antonioni would be too frail to finish the movie, investors had German director Wim Wenders follow the work, ready to step in if the Italian “maestro” couldn’t go on. But Wenders wound up watching in awe and letting Antonioni put his vision on film.
Antonioni is survived by his wife. He had no children. ANSA said that a funeral would be held Thursday in Antonioni’s hometown of Ferrara in northern Italy.

oscar jubis
07-31-2007, 06:41 PM
How strange that Bergman and Antonioni died on the same day. Two giants of cinema. Antonioni's death was not a surprise as he suffered a stroke that left him partially paralized in 1985 and has been "physically frail", as the AP report states, for a long time. Taiwanese director Edward Yang also passed away recently, on June 29th at the age of 59. Incidentally, as far as I know, the last time Antonioni was seen in public was a retrospective of Yang's films at a Rome theatre. Antonioni was a big fan of Yang (YiYi), whose films have been poorly distributed in the US. These great artists will live forever in the wonderful films they left behind.

Chris Knipp
08-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Both of these directors are ones that defined what made film exciting when I was young and they were doing their best work and a new Bergman or Antonioni movie was an event. They don't make them like that any more. I've only seen one Edward Yang film, but it is marvelous and he too is a great loss.

oscar jubis
09-16-2007, 11:20 PM
I went to a screening of Antonioni's amazing Blowup this weekend. One of those films everyone admires because of its surface aesthetics but provokes disparate interpretations of its content. This was my second viewing and I still don't feel I have full command of its multiple meanings.

However, the screening of Zabriskie Point which I have never seen, had to be aborted because of severa sound problems with the available print. This is not a universally admired film. Antonioni's sole American-made film is an episodic, anti-establishment, counter-culture mixed bag. Now I am resigned to watch it on vhs, which is decidedly less than ideal. All I could watch was the opening docu scene in which Berkeley student discuss what it means to be a "revolutionary". The image was fine but there was a horrid noise coming out of the speakers every few seconds so Mike, the projectionist at the Cosford, decided he couldn't show it like that. Oh well...

Chris Knipp
09-16-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm glad you like Blow-Up. Some people recently have written negatively about it, but I've always liked it. Zabriskie Point is another story--that seemed to be a flop to me, but since I liked The Passanger/AKA/Professione: reporter much better on seeing the revival of it at the NYFF last year, I would be hopeul Zabriskie would reveal beauties I missed the first time around. For sure, Blow-Up holds up very well indeed. Too bad you couldn't see Zabriskie on a thatrical screen--certainly like so much of Antonioni it is full of vast vistas, which won't come through as well on video.

Just got to NYC and the NYFF press screenings begin tomorrow with Schnabel's The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and Suo's I Just Didn't Do It.

cinemabon
09-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Blow up was so chic, so mod... I had a 35mm camera and fantasized about having orgies in my studio... well, I shared the studio with about twenty students... but what the hell, a guy can dream, right? Vanessa Redgrave appeared so enigmatic... the subplot never really explained... and all that SYMBOLISM which I had to write a paper on... the black nuns dressed in white... what is the meaning of that? I still don't know. SOMEONE EXPLAIN IT TO ME AFTER ALL THESE YEARS. Curse my film instructors!

L'Aventura was probably the better film of the two, if you can stand it.

oscar jubis
09-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Sometimes the short, off-the-cuff posts are the ones that generate replies. Thanks. This took a couple of minutes whereas my longest review of the year (Panahi's Offside), which took a few hours to write, isn't likely to get any comments.

Back to Antonioni. Blowup is a very beautiful movie, like the films that preceded it. But it's also a departure for Antonioni. It's perhaps the most optimistic of his films, at least based on my interpretation. It is, at its most basic, about an artist's humanization (for lack of a better term). He travels from a rather mechanized existence to more open engagement with others. The artificiality of the two studio shoots at the onset is contrasted with the playfulness of the last scene with the teen wanna-be models. The film culminates in an unforgettable scene involving a mimed tennis match initially regarded with sarcasm by "the artist" who then surrenders and returns the imaginary ball so the match can continue.
Another way Antonioni departs from the preceding masterpieces is that he goes beyong realism in several scenes here. Two come to mind: 1) The artist returns to the suburban park at night and finds the proof he needs in the form of a corpse, but it's odd that the corpse shows no signs of violence: no blood, or bruises, or signs of struggle. It looks as if the corpse was prepared for burial and placed there. 2) Back to the buoyant final scene. Notice that even though we cannot see it, we can clearly hear the pock-pock of the imaginary tennis ball.

Zabrieski Point is widely regarded as a lesser film. I'm actually surprised it is "full of vast vistas", based on some of the reviews I've read.

Chris Knipp
09-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Hemmings' character also begins by emerging from an undercover shoot at a homeless shelter, another indication he's becoming less swinnging London and more engage'. The primary way Blow Up differs from Antonioni's previous work in mood and content is that it's in English and not shot in Italy. Its mise-en-scene owes a lot to the London of that moment of the Sixties Begin with that; other differences follow. His work is rooted in place, despite the alienation of those spaces.

Er, I have seen Zabriskie Point. It's shot in the desert, hence "vast vistas." Don't trust me, just see it and see. I assume it is available.

oscar jubis
09-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Yes, I've read about the love scene at Zabrieski Point. That's probable the most memorable part of the film. The rest is apparently not quite as picturesque.

Johann
03-10-2008, 02:42 PM
I haven't stopped thinking about The Passenger since I saw it at the Bytowne.

Brilliant, excellent film that I actually have few words to write a review for.
It's pure, instinctual filmmaking, from a real artist with a real eye.
So grateful I got to see it on the big screen.

Antonioni is a cinema God and he is greatly missed.

oscar jubis
03-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Just a couple of days ago I discussed The Passenger with director Ariel Rotter (The Other, also about a man who assumes the identities of dead men). That final, meandering shot from inside a hotel room, out the window, around the plaza, and back inside the hotel is unforgettable. And I didn't have the benefit to watch it on a theater screen.

Chris Knipp
03-11-2008, 10:19 PM
You may recall that in his tribute (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/movies/12scor.html) to Antonioni last summer in the NYTimes, Martin Scorsese wrote of
the remarkable last shot of “The Passenger,” where the camera moves slowly out the window and into a courtyard, away from the drama of Jack Nicholson’s character and into the greater drama of wind, heat, light, the world unfolding in time.I commented (http://www.filmwurld.com/articles/features/nyff05/passenger.htm) on the long tracking shot earlier when I saw the new print shown at the 2005 NYFF, and so has everybody else who's written about the film, and it's very Antonionni-esque with its emphasis on aimlessness, ambient sound, and lonely spaces. There are brief descriptions of the process of setting up the shot, involving the construction of a whole hotel room on the courtyard with collapsible walls. It's said Antonioni did the shot to avoid the conventionality of showing a dead man. But one would hope that something more than that is of significance in the film.

oscar jubis
03-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Good stuff. Thanks Chris. I hadn't discussed this ending here before, but back in 2003 I posted a list of favorites of 1975 which has The Passenger at the top tied with Barry Lyndon, Nashville and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Johann
03-12-2008, 03:16 PM
I found other shots than that last poetic one just as great,
like the shots of Jack next to beautiful architecture, the shots of him getting frustrated at his land rover being stuck in the sand, the various locales of the cities he visits...beautiful beautiful movie to watch.