PDA

View Full Version : Kaci Lemmons: Talk to Me (2007)

Chris Knipp
07-23-2007, 04:29 AM
Kaci Lemmons: Talk to Me (2007)

Talk to Me could say more

Review by Chris Knipp

In the late Sixties a populist DC radio station called WOL was losing its audience when a newly released ex-con, Ralph Waldo "Petey" Greene Jr. (Don Cheadle), who had done a radio show for the prisoners, talked himself into a gig and became a local icon at a time when black was beautiful and the black local audience had to have somebody who could keep it real. Petey became such a notable figure--he probably influenced many who followed--because he couldn't do it any other way. He's a natural, and his roughness came when it was the voice people needed to hear.

The middle man in this transformation of DC radio is the black program manager Dewey Hughes (Chiwetel Ejiofor) who sees Petey in prison when visiting his own inmate brother. Hughes is initially scornful, but Petey wins him over and he overrides the trepidations of the white station owner, E.G. Sonderling (Martin Sheen).

Talk to Me is lively and hilarious in its early segments when Cheadle is almost all ghetto schtick. Even if the essence of the gate-crashing episodes was already blown for anybody who saw the trailer; even though it's not much more than spiced-up sit-com material (Ella Taylor wrote, "I felt as though someone had trapped me in a time-warped episode of 'The Jeffersons'"), it's still outrageous fun, and as a straight man, Ejiofor is fine because he gives Dewey Hughes such authority. It's a laugh, maybe a relief, to see the staid and gentrified Don Cheadle--the African humanitarian; the college roommate of Adam Sandler; the boon companion of Clooney and Pitt and Damon--get a chance to act down and dirty, rude and black. But the movie works at this point because of foils, starting with Dewey. Ejiofor and Cheadle are great together. The early scenes are all sharp and well paced.

If only the movie could have maintained its opening level of energy and outrageousness, but it can't. At the center is the radio talk, and Petey's message is so simple that it doesn't go very far, not the way his on-the-air lines are written. Then Petey's story turns tragic. He's a small man whose rough life brought him down: he smoked and drank too much and despite his cockiness he had serious self doubts. Whether it was "being real" that led him away from rising beyond the radio station to become a national figure or just the same fear that hit him the first time he went on the air at WOL, Petey is no Richard Pryor. Why the comedy turns to a tragedy is a complicated internal story that might be developed better in a simpler, more articulate format--in a play. Cheadle does the decline of Petey Greene almost as well as he did the opening street-hustler schtick. You can hardly look at his face at times toward the end: its defiance has so clearly turned to defeat. But the movie feels lacking in unity.

Did this even have to be a bio-pic--does it contain enough material for one? If the director, Kaci Lemmons, and the writers, Michael Genet and Rick Fumuyiwa, had had something more particular to say, things might have gone differently. Instead the movie, despite some strong scenes and consistently good acting, is uneven in tone and focus and style. The cinematography is a jumble of clumsy crowd scenes, fake video, sit-com style interiors, and extreme close-ups. The tone, as suggested, rambles from cocky and outrageous to earnest and maudlin. As a biography Petey's story is shallow and anecdotal--and the historical background, despite the strong emotional passage on the assassination of Dr. King--Petey's moment of true leadership--lacks depth and specificity too. Mostly it's history through clothes and hairstyles.

As is the way of bio-pics, Petey's downfall is defined through a single episode, when Dewey Hughes gets him a chance to appear on the Johnny Carson Show and he completely blows it, embarrassing everyone. Petey almost runs off in the half hour before he's to go on camera, and we suspect he'll just get drunk, as he did before opening a James Brown concert right after the M.L. King assassination and DC riots he helped quell. When Hughes later declares that when he was growing up he learned everything from the Carson show about the world beyond the projects he lived in as a youth, that's another dead end in character development. And surely the downfall of Petey Greene was more complex than this.

Cheadle's versatility is impressive of course, but Ejiofor is more interesting to watch after a while. As Petey's manager it's he who goes through the biggest changes, tonsorially and as it were morally: aside from changing moustaches and hair styles he goes from Oreo twerp to manipulative ass to full-fledged mensch. He socks Petey after the Carson debacle and they have a falling out, but they get back together and, though it's shown only in a single shot, we understand that he reconciles with his incarcerated brother too, whom he had treated rudely in an opening scene. A fine actor, Ejiofor is stunning in this movie. Even if her booty-shaking struts are standard issue, as Vernell Watson, Petey's faithful girlfriend, Taraji P. Henson (of Hustle and Flow) displays exceptional panache, especially in the early scenes. Cedric the Entertainer and Vlondie Curtis-Hall do good work as the other two black disc jockeys on WOL. But it can't be said that the movie itself has any particular distinction. This is yet another movie that comes down to a few good performances, and, as A.O. Scott has noted, "a fair number of funny, dirty jokes." As several writers have said, this is a potent reminder of a time when people listened to radio and when media voices talked back to power instead of being its mouthpiece. But you'll get a lot more of those funny, dirty jokes and insight into those times if you listen to a Richard Prior record.

mouton
08-14-2007, 07:04 PM
TALK TO ME
Written by Michael Genet and Rick Famuyiwa
Directed by Kasi Lemmons

Petey Greene: Wake up Goddammit!

Times are hard. It’s the spring of 1967 and the tension culminated alongside the civil rights movement has not only reached its boiling point but is about to boil right over. When the movement’s most prominent leader, Martin Luther King Jr. is assassinated, his messages of brotherly love and non-violent approaches to change are forgotten. Riots erupted nationwide in over 60 cities as an immense collection of anger was expressed through unrest and displaced ferocity. In Washington D.C., the city was calmed in part by the voice of one man, a radio DJ by the name of Petey Greene. His morning call-in show was the kind of success that unified its listeners and polarized both their spirits and convictions. Petey prided himself on staying true to himself and speaking that truth no matter what the consequence. The people responded to his frank honesty with devotion and respect. So when he went back on the air to talk the people of Washington down off their ledges on the night of Dr. King’s death, it was the trust that had already been established that soothed the fire in the souls; they healed together. After that night, Petey’s career was never the same. TALK TO ME, the new film by Kasi Lemmons, tells Petey’s inspiring story. Only it doesn’t so much tell it as manipulate it into a conventional narrative about shared friendship and separate dreams designed for maximum emotional impact.

Petey Greene (Don Cheadle) is first discovered by Dewey Hughes (Chiwetel Ejiofor) as he broadcasts in prison. The two men are instantly placed in juxtaposition to each other in the context of the film. Petey may be in a literal prison but Dewey is in a prison of his own design. The two will need each other to break out and reach the heights of their potential but they must first get past their instinctual dislike for each other. From where Dewey stands, Petey is the kind of black man what gives everyone else a bad name by playing to type and giving into violent, illegal impulses. Meanwhile, from where Petey stands, Dewey has sold his soul to the white man, walking and talking like his white colleagues in an effort to hide his black skin as best he can. The irony is that they both feel that the other is doing a great disservice to the community and that they themselves are role models for the new black identity. Both actors give strong, commanding performances. Cheadle pushes his versatility further as the raucous button-pusher with a turn that is both volatile and reckless. On the other side of the glass, Ejiofor exhibits restraint and an internalized fire that gives his intentions away no matter how hard he tries to mask them. Both could be contenders come awards season if the words coming out of their mouths weren’t so formulaic and plain.

While Lemmons may not have made TALK TO ME into the socially telling film it could have been, she does manage moments of insight, tension and brotherhood. Most of these moments are found in the broadcast booths and offices of real life R&B music station, WOL. Prior to getting a job at the station, Petey had grown comfortable speaking his mind to whoever would listen. Whoever would, would always be limited in number. When finally faced with his first time at the mic, expectations are high. After all, Petey has the pressure of being a natural and he’s never had to perform for anyone but himself before. He’s also never had to watch his tongue before, but he, along with the station owners, soon learns that in order for Petey to be Petey, he’s got to just let the words flow. That said, he also learns that a powerful voice comes with responsibility so in order to continue having that voice in such a public and corporate forum, he can only push the line so far. After all, no matter real the station tries to keep it, the white suits who run the show and sign Petey’ checks have sponsors to answer to.

It’s a shame that a movie with such a funky soundtrack would be lacking in so much soul but TALK TO ME still manages to keep a solid enough groove to keep it alive. I just wish Lemmons had spent more time heeding Petey Greene’s message, to keep it real because the truth is what people respond to above all else. Instead, the watered down reality of Petey’s path to fame and examination of the relationships that got him there has been mangled and crammed into a pretty picture that the masses can enjoy. The story of a man who told it like it was is told here as politely as Hollywood will allow.

www.blacksheepreviews.blogspot.com

Chris Knipp
08-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Petey may be in a literal prison but Dewey is in a prison of his own design. The two will need each other to break out and reach the heights of their potential but they must first get past their instinctual dislike for each other. Nice. I liked that.
TALK TO ME, the new film by Kasi Lemmons, tells Petey�s inspiring story. Only it doesn�t so much tell it as manipulate it into a conventional narrative about shared friendship and separate dreams designed for maximum emotional impact. This is a criticism, right?
Both actors give strong, commanding performances. Cheadle pushes his versatility further as the raucous button-pusher with a turn that is both volatile and reckless. On the other side of the glass, Ejiofor exhibits restraint and an internalized fire that gives his intentions away no matter how hard he tries to mask them. Both could be contenders come awards season if the words coming out of their mouths weren�t so formulaic and plain. I like that too. Excellent statement. These to me are the highlights of your review, and I think we're pretty much in agreement, except I would have mentioned more about the fun parts of the movie, the sassy talk stuff--though sure, you do refer to it clearly here, "raucous button-pusher with a turn that is both volatile and reckless. . ."

Biopics are sort of a trap. It takes tremendous talent to transcend the genre. I just saw El Cantante, which is an even more dismal failure, despite Antony and Lopez being fun to watch. This is on a higher level, but not up to Ray or Walk the Line. David Edelstein has a discussion (http://www.slate.com/id/2109967/)of biopics from three years ago that's kind of interesting; he and readers mention many, but he hasn't much good to say about most of them. Actually Amazon has an outstanding "Best Biopic" list which includes:
Schindler's List
Raging Bull
Malcolm X
Patton
Elephant Man
[then skipping the next six]
Walk the Line
Kundun
Ray
Erin Brokovitch

Erin Brokovitch, really? Maybe, but isn't that just a highlight of somebody's life, which isn't a "biography", right? Talk to Me at least takes Petey through the rest of his life.

We have to define biopic somehow as about someone worthy of note, newsworthy or memorable, not just a slice of the life of anybody.

mouton
08-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Highlights of people's lives are the new biopic. Just look at Capote. You learn so much about the man through the telling of one chapter of his life. Loved that one.
Ray? Really. Overrated. Walk the Line, loved. Schindler's List is even similar in that we know of him from his involvement during the war.

As far as Talk to Me goes, I would have to agree with you that it would have been a better picture with a stronger focus. I felt they were just scratching the surface of these two men and what they each so clearly represented. Dewey is not just a straight man, as you put it, but he's a black man trying to walk like a white man. To explain the complexity of that away with some lame later scene where he gives a nod to the Tonight Show for teaching him everything he ever needed to learn about how to be a man and rise out of the projects. It might have perhaps been a more successful effort had they focused more on one of the men and shown how the other shaped their life. Instead, we end up with very little conclusion on either of them.

As for the not mentioning the more fun aspects of the film, I didn't have too many. I was surprised by how flat it left me. I was enjoying everyone on screen but the film was rarely elevating itself to a place of consistency and depth. I feel that both actors might be forgotten come awards season given the mediocrity of the film. It's a shame because Cheadle is an Oscar calibre actor (what does that mean really?) and Chiowetel should have had many doors opened with this performance. Both might go overlooked.

That said, it is being mostly well received so what do I know?

Oh, and that was criticism ... I genuinely felt the screenwriters were really trying to force us to care by shaping the story into an emotional manipulation instead of letting Greene's life inspire audiences all by itself, like the way his words did at the time.

Chris Knipp
08-14-2007, 08:20 PM
I genuinely felt the screenwriters were really trying to force us to care by shaping the story into an . emotional manipulation instead of letting Greene's life inspire audiences all by itself, like the way his words did at the time. I hadn't quite thought of that but you're right. I disagree with you on two things: that it was never funny. The early scenes are quite droll and Taraji P. Henson playing Greene's wife Vernell is always amusing. And that "the new biopic" is just highlights. Anything is told in highlights in a movie, which hasn't the time to go into the depths of a book, but a biopic is a film biography, and a biography is a life, and in most cases, it is a saga. Unfortunately in more cases than I'd like to mention, an artist's (including musician's) film biography, it's always a cliched tale of dysfunction and woe. God forgive that any great artist should have his or her life together. When I say "biopic" I don't mean a slice of life, but something that follows the development of someone of note over a period of years.But that's because I'm thinkinf of a Film biography and not a biographical film/film with biographical elements.
The interesting thing is cinema is such a suggestive medium you can create the sense of a whole life with a string of highlights. But not just one, please.

I was moved by Lady Sings the Blues. But what a bummer. Visual artist movies are too cliched for me, including Pollack.

mouton
08-14-2007, 08:26 PM
I've not seen Pollock but what you described regarding the artists' lives on film is the crux of my Walk the Line review. I went on about how surprising it is to watch different people with the same repeated problems. How can there be so many simliarities ... difficult upbringings, loss, cheating, drugs, rehab etc ... when these are REAL people??

Anyhow, I did not mean to neglect Henson ... her scenes are hilarious. She's got great energy and the raw nature of her relationship with Petey in the film was refreshing.

Chris Knipp
08-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Yes! The picture has charms, it just doesn't go in the right direction. I think Ejiovor is very powerful, by the way, though in the context it's slightly wasted. BUu you acknowledge that in the paragraph I quoted, "Ejiofor exhibits restraint and an internalized fire that gives his intentions away no matter how hard he tries to mask them. . ." I've missed a lot of his performances, but remembered him from Dirty Pretty Things. Seems like he was a little lost in Inside Man and Children of Men. I missed Kinky Boots, which would be a lot of points for him and cast off the macho image.