PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in IMAX

cinemabon
07-11-2007, 08:37 PM
“Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” Directed by David Yates

The only way to see a film is in a theater, and the only way to see “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” is in the 70mm IMAX format with the special 3-D segment during the battle sequence at the end (about ten minutes). In this format, one can appreciate the detail and precision of the set designer and decorator as the camera lovingly moves through the famous sets this time a bit slower so we can soak up every frame. Unfortunately, in a few close-ups, we also see some of the excessive make-up being applied to Daniel Radcliff’s face, making him appear a year younger than his current eighteen years. This has the effect of being disconcerting, probably not a problem in 35mm.

The kids at Hogwarts have grown up, pimples and all. Harry’s first kiss is a bit embarrassing as director Yates takes the shot a few beats longer from three different angles, actually diminishing his first step into adulthood. Harry’s preoccupation with Cho carries over from the last book/film to where his infatuation comes to fruition. However, the film drops off where the book resolves what happens next. Daniel Radcliff still lacks giving us emotional payoff when it counts, being a little reserved when he needs to let go. Ron (Rupert Grint) is there for comic relief as usual. He towers over Harry, having grown considerable since the last film. Hermione (Emma Watson) is there as the sensible voice of reason. She simply has to look determined all the time, something she does very well.

Television director David Yates tends to focus his widescreen lens a little close at times, especially for 70mm, as we can count the pores on Harry’s face, fine for television, terrible when blown up to 100 feet. Also missing is John Williams brilliant score, with only tiny bits thrown in here and there. Instead, we have another TV transplant, Nicholas Hooper, whose forgettable orchestrations only manage to get in the way during the climax. Screenwriter Michael Goldberg (Contact, Peter Pan) has literally cut Rowling’s book to ribbons. In a series of newspaper headlines (Gee, where have I seen that technique before? This is a throw back to films from the 1930’s!), he skims through major portions of the novel, sometimes leaving out important information, such as how Voldemort came to be (his history explained in the novel). The flying creatures, whose vital importance is touched on at the beginning and then ignored. The main characters are simply “flying” them as we head into the 3-D scene with no explanation as to how the others, who could not see them previously, are suddenly riding (“Yahoo!). The big confrontation scene with Dumbledore is reduced to a few sentences at the end of the film, merely to sum up feelings.

Those objections aside, Yates has managed to get to the essence of the novel (albeit the Reader’s Digest version) and still tell the story with most of the elements in place. Delores Umbridge (Imelda Staunton, also of British TV) is played devilishly rotten to the core in her fiendish plot to take over Hogwarts, while the rest of the familiar Hogwarts cast returns to fill in with their obligatory appearances. Enough of the emotion and power that Rowling put into this fifth story is mixed in small doses to make the payoff at the end fairly satisfying. The duel in 3-D is a must for fans. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen as exciting duel in 3-D than this presentation, with arcs of magic flying about in thrilling “comin at chya” sensation in that format. However, it nearly arrived with too little too late.

“Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” is a mixed bag; with some disappointment for those of us that bother to read, while probably very rewarding for those just fans of the film series. I would say, to get the real story, read the novel, which is a fun mixture of lighthearted growth and the dark side of wizardry. Yet, this is a film site, and we are moviegoers at heart. This film has entertainment value; it should do well with Potter fans. As to the readers, we must retreat to our porches and rocking chairs for the remainder of the summer, reading the final novel that is certain to bring heartbreak and finality.

oscar jubis
07-13-2007, 04:50 PM
You seemingly contradict your statement that the Imax 70 mm. format is "the only way" to see the movie when you remark that:

"Unfortunately, in a few close-ups, we also see some of the excessive make-up being applied to Daniel Radcliff’s face, making him appear a year younger than his current eighteen years. This has the effect of being disconcerting, probably not a problem in 35mm."

and later:

"Television director David Yates tends to focus his widescreen lens a little close at times, especially for 70mm"

I haven't been to an IMAX theater in about 8 years. My problem with it is not being able to see the whole frame without moving my head. And getting dizzy.

*I guess Imelda Staunton is "of British TV", but she also won a ton of acting awards, besides Oscar and Golden Globe nominations for her magnificent titular performance in the theatrical film Vera Drake.

cinemabon
07-14-2007, 02:15 PM
I suppose I did contradict; then to clarify, I should have said the only way to see this film is in IMAX. However, Yates managed to make a few shots too uncomfortably close. The vast majority of the shots have the best moderate to short focal length needed for that format. While Imelda Staunton has worked in film (mostly independent), her principle work is British television. I did enjoy her performance in "Order of Phoenix" as Delores Umbridge; spot on, as the British say.

mouton
07-15-2007, 10:22 AM
I wanted to see this film in IMAX but my brother, who is a Harry Potter but, did not want to. Apparently, it makes him all queasy. Guess I missed out. Here's my review of Harry Potter on a plain ol' screen ...

HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX
Written by Michael Goldenberg
Directed by David Yates

Harry Potter: The more you care, the more you lose. Maybe it’s better to …
Hermione Granger: To what?
Harry Potter: To go it alone.

Consistency oddly both enhances and takes away from the Harry Potter experience. Like the books, the films have a built-in structure that allows for them to not bother with coming up with fresh ways to start and finish each film. A new academic year at Hogwart’s School of Witchcraft and Wizardry begins and ends with the film following suit. While this familiar structure doesn’t allow for surprise, it is the adventures the take place between these two bookends that define each film. And despite a new rule of conservative values and repression falling upon Hogwart’s, it is the constantly appreciative and awed faces of Harry, his few friends, his professors and the legions of fans watching that make HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX one of the most solid in the series. Being a part of one of the most successful film and literary phenomenon of all time has not jaded a single player in the least. Doing justice to a lushly imaginative world without making itself into something more serious than it is and managing to have fun while working hard has allowed Harry & co. to find a comfortable, satisfying stride.

Under the new direction of British television director, David Yates, Harry finds himself facing a darkness that is brooding and growing inside of him. In his fifth time out as Mr. Potter, Daniel Radcliffe continues to add new levels to Harry’s personality, becoming increasingly more introverted throughout the series. Here is a boy whose parents were killed and dons a scar that certifies him as the wizard the world has waited for. Dealing with his own demons and the weight of being something of a chosen one is so much for this young man’s shoulders to bare that social interaction and expectation become more difficult. Radcliffe’s Harry is a boy becoming a man. He knows he is destined for great things but he also knows how much there is still to be learned and how far there is still to go. The storm that goes from raging to calm in his mind on a regular basis is so taxing that his instinct is to cut himself off from those that always have his back. It is noble to wish to spare those he cares for from his pain but it is also telling of his fear to be close to people who might one day also be taken away from him.

Detachment and repression are common themes in THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX. While Harry imposes rules upon himself, new addition to the Potter cast, Delores Umbridge (Imelda Staunton) ushers Hogwart’s into conservative times, placing value on paranoia and control. With this comes the greatest challenge for Yates. How do you make a movie about magic where the characters are forbidden from performing any? Yates overcomes this by driving the magic underground and pitting the students against enemies both frivolous and frightful. Staunton’s tart persona has plenty of pucker, making her the teacher every kid wants to exact sweet revenge upon. Despite her stern hand, she is merely an irritating distraction when compared with the looming return of Lord Voldemort. The denial steeped around his return and the subsequent nondisclosure to the public make THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX an atypically topical Potter film. The implications made when the ruling powers manipulate the press and silence those who oppose them are unexpected and yet never take away from the plight of Harry and friends. Suffice it to say that come the end of this film, their growth as people will ensure they are no longer treated like simple children. What is most striking about their maturity is they don’t even know it’s happening.

With so much emotion being forced inside, it is exhilarating and liberating by the time the climax comes and all is finally unleashed. It’s an awful lot like being in the head of an adolescent. HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX also manages its own magic by cramming the longest book from the Potter series into the shortest running time of any of the films while maintaining all the elements necessary to make the story whole. Weaving in layers of thematic insight and giving more depth to Mr. Potter himself brings the film from magical to meaningful. And after five installments, bringing something new to the spell without ruining the recipe or changing the consistency is a pretty impressive trick unto itself.

www.blacksheepreviews.blogspot.com

oscar jubis
07-15-2007, 01:44 PM
"I wanted to see this film in IMAX but my brother, who is a Harry Potter but, did not want to. Apparently, it makes him all queasy." (mouton)

It's reassuring to learn I'm not the only one. The Miami IMAX closed years ago for lack of interest. There's still one in Fort Lauderdale, I think.

cinemabon
07-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Mouton, I appreciated your comment about this being the longest book with the shortest film running time... the reason? So much about Black's house and his character is left out. When the end arrives in the film, the audience does not feel the same impact as the readers did when the inevitable takes place. While the "bookends" of coming and going to Hogwarts, as you put, do frame each story, this particular book had very significant details that director Yates completely ignored or decided to cut, or Warner Bros. did. Either way, this might alienate the very fans the franchise relies upon to boost the box office receipts. I noticed the BO is ahead this weekend. But in a very crowded summer of big Hollywood offerings, this Harry Potter, usually a Christmas release, may end up as the least money maker of all. If it does, I can understand why. It seems to me that Warners is trying to maximize profits, cutting the budget, and gutting the novels in their execution on film. Thank goodness we always have the books to read anytime to remind us what it is all about, and why fans of the series love Harry Potter, because Rowlings wrote such wonderful stories.

mouton
07-15-2007, 04:45 PM
I would tend to agree with you on Warner's approach, cinemabon. Perhaps that was why they hired this director as he guaranteed he could get it in on time. I only mentioned it in the review as I thought it was interesting. When it comes to Harry Potter movies, I struggle to disclose that I do not read the books. My entire interaction with Potter is cinematic. As a piece of film on its own, I found the film satisfying. As to whether it captured all it should or could have from the book, I'm afraid I cannot comment. I did feel that the story line with Harry's girlfriend/first kiss could have been cut from the film if they weren't going to develop it any further anyway. The character was introduced in the last film but I personally found the fourth to be messy and incomplete. Here she comes and goes with zero impact on the grander scheme. This will likely be the lease successful in the franchise but it is my third favorite in the series.

I saw the film with my brother, as I mentioned earlier, and he felt this was his favorite of the entire series. He is a big fan of the books. I'm not sure what he was basing that opinion on but ours always differs. He thought the third was akin to a Gap ad while I thought it had the most depth of the entire series.