PDA

View Full Version : Lars von Trier: The Boss of It All (2006)

Chris Knipp
06-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Lars von Trier: The Boss of It All (2006)

Koncept Komedy

In Lars von Trier’s small-scale, Automavision (computer-edited) Danish-language film comedy Ravn (Peter Gantzler) is the spineless (but mean) CEO of an IT company. He’s such a people-pleaser he’s hidden his real rank all along so the staff won’t resent his more unpopular decisions. Now on the verge of selling the company out from under them, he calls in a "self-important, out-of-work" actor, Kristoffer (Jens Albinus) to play the role of "boss of it all"—be his front man by proxy to sign the papers. Lars himself pops up at the middle and end as a voice and at the beginning as a voice and a reflection—just long enough to mock himself and us. He also makes fun of Danes for their sentimentality and giggling and chatter, and, because the buyers of the company are Icelandic, he makes fun of Icelanders for their over-reliance on their ancient sagas and their petulant rages.

Americans don’t take a beating this time, though there’s one American member of the company cadre, Spencer (Jean-Marc Barr) who’s completely ineffectual around the office because he can’t finish a sentence in Danish. Lars has lots of fun with actors here, and of course with offices and corporate manipulations. Kristoffer has some kind of quixotic idol called Gambini whose "masterpiece" is a droning monologue of a chimney sweep. He puts soot on his forehead for luck when embarking on his role. As the boss, previously known to staff via e-mails only as Svend E., Kristoffer is completely inept, but the six-person startup cadre members nonetheless react to him as if he were the real deal and are variously ready to beat up, have sex with, or marry him. The women act like women (with especially nice turns by Iben Hjejle and Mia Lyhne), and the men act like children. They weren’t even meant to see him: that’s just the first thing that goes wrong—due to the actor’s excessive zeal, he goes and introduces himself. As he gets in deeper and deeper—with zero preparation—he finds himself constantly begging Ravn for secret coaching sessions "on neutral ground" (which includes the zoo). But these do nothing to limit his amazing ability to gum up the works for everybody, especially Ravn. Things turn farcical when Finnur's lawyer shows up and turns out to be Kristoffer's ex-wife, Kisser (Sofie Grabol). Will she give away the game?

This all makes a lot of sense if you’ve seen Von Trier’s earlier film, the semi-documentary The Five Obstructions (2003), in which he and his filmmaking mentor Jørgen Leth teamed up to provide, indirectly, a kind of skeleton-key to his mind. The Dogme filmmaking "vow of chastity" reflects von Trier’s own masochistic, Brechtian, but—given the grimness of some of his film content—surprisingly playful need to be forever imposing new rules and limitations that challenge actor, filmmaker, and audience. The Five Obstructions, where the director spars with mentor Leth, shows that he’s also an affectionate and modest tease. "Although you can see my reflection, this film won’t be worth a moment’s reflection," is his personal opener to The Boss of It All.

That "moment’s reflection" von Trier says we won’t need suggests on the contrary how reflexive and clever all this actually is. The film, which could be seen as a sort of droll, deadpan parody of "The Office" (though von Trier says he hasn’t even seen the TV series), is a set of characters and premises that create their own movie, just as the computer editing device does. And just as we’re startled and appalled at times by the ugliness of shifting light and sound levels and pointless jump cuts the Automavision produced, von Trier and his actors may have been surprised at how some of the set-ups turned out. Will Svend, AKA Kristoffer, sign over the company to the growling Icelander, Finnur (Fridrik Thor Fridriksson)? Even he doesn’t know. He has to "consult" his "character." And that makes him, like Lars, a big tease. The Boss of It All may be more intriguing than funny—and there will be those, primed too intensely by Dogville and Manderlay, who’ll see it as merely cruel and misanthropic, but it’s a complete change from his recent stuff, and yet utterly in character.

oscar jubis
07-14-2007, 11:57 PM
THE BOSS OF IT ALL (2006)

Lars von Trier took a break from his "USA: Land of Opportunities" trilogy to bring us this experimental satire of office politics and corporate machinations. Experimental in that the "cinematographer" is a computer program called Automavision, which randomly selects camera angles, frame composition, and sound filtering. The results are both interesting and ugly, with off-center compositions galore, intermittent ambient noise, and over 1500 jump cuts. Moreover, at times von Trier provides voice-over commentary which forces the viewer to maintain a critical distance and to be fully aware of the artificiality of the enterprise. He ridicules the premise and characterizes the film as insignificant and forgettable, effectively disarming his critics from the start. He even chastises the "cinematographer" for using a "primitive, pointless zoom".

In the tradition of The Prisoner of Zenda, Kagemusha and Dave, the premise involves the recruitment of someone to impersonate a powerful figure. In The Boss of It All, Ravn (Peter Gantzler) has hidden the fact that he owns a company by creating an imaginary boss that lives abroad and communicates via e-mails with six principal employees. Each has a different picture of "the boss of it all" based on e-mails received. Ravn plans to sell the company to an Icelander who has no intention of employing any Danes_Trier has fun invoking the centuries-old aspersions between Danes and Icelanders. So Ravn hires an actor (Jen Albinus) to impersonate the boss during this critical period of negotiations with the Icelanders and dismissal of the loyal employees. The fact that Ravn doesn't give the actor the preparation he needs to be credible renders the plot implausible. I would not be surprised if this effect was intended but I certainly don't find it laudable.

The characters are mostly one-note archetypes. Ravn is a typical Dane, according to the auteur, in that he avoids conflict and hates being the "bad cop". There's an obsequious woman who wants to marry "the boss" and another who thinks he's gay and needs the expert sex she can offer. The men include a hick who insists on solving any perceived insult with a punch_like Gary Cooper in Mr. Deeds Comes to Town, and a bad method actor obsessed with an inane monologue written in 1969 ("or was it late 1968", he wonders).

The Boss of It All is peppered with bits of disposably absurd humor. Yet von Trier's assertion that it's "not worth a moment's reflection" is nothing but the preemptive defense mechanism of a man of many self-confessed insecurities. The ugly, sliced images and disorienting sound mix can't hide a blistering critique of current management practices and capitalist maneuvers.

Johann
10-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Today I saw Lars von Trier: Finding Truth in Film, a 43-min. interview with the master.
The interview was made by "Films for the Humanities & Sciences" and shot at his production facility in Copenhagen.

"many self-confessed insecurities" is right, Oscar.

Trier is visibly uncomfortable during the whole interview, his hands shake, he looks away from his interviewer a lot, he struggles to find words and second guesses questions, he admits his failings and seems incredibly self-conscious.

But how and why he makes his films the way he does comes clean through. He doesn't mince on some things:
I don't believe in secrets. It's wrong.
Family is psychological, not biological.
We must kill this "Nationalism".
I have this obsession with trilogies.

He talks about his background/family, his fear of flying, America and Hollywood (and how Nicole Kidman wasn't paid Hollywood money for Dogville-she came to him, willing to play any part he had in mind. He calls her brave, a rare actress) and very basic, not-too-deep notes on how he actually makes a film. The DVD is only 43 minutes but well worth your time. Mr. Trier HATES interviews, he never does 'em, so if you worship the dudes' films like I do, ya gotta check it out.

oscar jubis
10-10-2007, 09:31 AM
I'd like to watch this interview. If you know how I can access the dvd you mention let me know. I love Lars for his openness, self-criticism, willingness to experiment. I don't love everything he does mind you. I think it's good he's not vain in that he doesn't feel he has to make a great film every time. The Boss of it All is good in many respects, but it's not a great film. Lars is more than willing to admit he made one ugly-to-look-at picture but it was interesting to experiment with "automavision" and see what happens.

I'm extremely interested in the new film he wrote and narrated called The Early Years: Eric Nietszche Part 1. The director is Jacob Thuesen (one of my fave films at the 2006 MIFF was his Accused, which remains tragically undistributed). The Early Years... is apparently a faux biopic turned film school memoir and just premiered at Toronto.

Chris Knipp
10-10-2007, 10:45 AM
It may be available at some university libraries.

Johann
10-10-2007, 01:24 PM
I saw the interview @ Ottawa U (media resources lab) and I have no clue where you can buy it. Maybe google it?

Haven't seen The Boss Of It All but I will, no question.
Trier is a giant breath of fresh air to cinephiles.

He seemed pretty down on the fact that Nicole's schedule didn't allow her to do the whole trilogy. The interview was done after Dogville but before Manderlay. He discusses women in his movies after being prodded about his female characters being "pathetic".

Are his female characters pathetic?

Chris Knipp
10-10-2007, 03:38 PM
The answer to that wouldn't be simple.

oscar jubis
10-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Johann
He seemed pretty down on the fact that Nicole's schedule didn't allow her to do the whole trilogy. The interview was done after Dogville but before Manderlay. He discusses women in his movies after being prodded about his female characters being "pathetic".

Are his female characters pathetic?

I watched the interviews included on the Manderlay 2-disc and these topics were covered.
The characterization of his female characters as "pathetic" (and even some unfair accusations of misogyny) started with Breaking the Waves, reached a peak with the release of Dancer in the Dark and died down with the revenge-fueled conclusion of Dogville. The characters played by Emily Watson and Bjork are innocents characterized by self-sacrifice who become fatal victims. Whether that makes them "pathetic" or not is a matter of opinion. I did feel pity toward them. Lars said these characters were inspired by a character in a Danish fairy tale who made a great impression on him when he was a kid.

Chris Knipp
10-11-2007, 12:24 PM
It seems to me now that Trier gives everybody a hard time.