PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead July-December 2007 Movies

tabuno
05-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Besides "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," (July 13th), Hairspray (July 20th), the last half of 2007 has a number of intriguing movies worth considering:

July 11, 2007: Drama/Mex(Foreign, drama). A potentially, raw, gritty Latino "Babel" movie.

July 13, 2007: Interview (Drama). Actor/Director Steve Buscemi again tries at directing in this independent movie about a veteran reporter's attempt to interview of starlet with fascinating consequences. A potentially intimate and powerful movie.

July 20, 2007: Goya's Ghosts (Historical drama). An intense and lavish biodrama about the artist Goya during the Inquisition directed by Milos Forman

July 27, 2007: Camden 28 (Documentary). A timely documentary about 28 individuals who risked prison in protesting the Vietnam War.

July 27, 2007: Moliere (Bio-Comedy, foreign). A rich looking, French comedy about the dramatist of the 17th Century.

August 1, 2007: El Cantante (Biodrama). A Latino version of "Walk The Line" (2005) with Hector Lavoe, the inspiration behind Salsa as the center of attention.

August 3, 2007: Bourne Ultimatum (the third installment). The intelligent and sophisticated espionage franchise attempts to continue its good fortune.

August 3, 2007: The Ten (Drama). A quality production of ten contemporary vignettes based on biblical commandments. Could this movie be a "Crash" (2005) clone multiplied by 10?

August 10, 2007: Stardust (Fantasy). A lavish fantasy film with A-Class stars, including Peter O'Tooele, Robert DeNiro, and Michelle Pheiffer as well as special effects trying to combine both fantasy, action, adventure.

August 31, 2007: Wristcutters: A Love Story (fantasy, drama, comedy). A more focused independent whimsical, intimate fantasy dealing with suicide and the afterlife.

September 7, 2007: The Savages (Comedy/Drama). An independent movie that revolves around sister (Laura Linney) and brother (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) who find themselves having to deal with each other brought back together to take are of their father who is suffering from dementia.

September 21, 2007: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Western). A high quality, rich production bio-drama about the famous Western outlaw, starring Brad Pitt.

September 28, 2007: The Kingdom (Thriller). An big-picture action-thriller set in Saudi Arabia. Think an explosive "Syriana" (2005).

September 28, 2007: Across the Universe (musical). A contemporary version of "Moulin Rouge" just prior to and during the Vietnam War.

October 12, 2007: The Golden Age (historical drama). Another lavish historical drama/thriller set with Cate Blanchett Queen Elizabeth and Clive Owen as Sir Walter Raleigh.

October 12, 2007: Margot at the Wedding (Comedy Drama). A family drama starring Nicole Kidman directed by Noah Baumbach.

October 12, 2007: Rendition (Espionage thriller). A possibly controversial espionage drama dealing with the secret rendition activity by the CIA (something that closely parallels actual events in today's American intelligence services in dealing with terrorism) starring Academy Award winner, Reese Witherspoon.

October 26, 2007: The Martian Child. (Drama, Science Fiction theme). John Cusack plays an adopted father to a boy who believes he's from another planet. John's sister, Joan also stars in the movie along with Amanda Peet.

November 2, 2007: American Gangster (Crime). A likely Academy Award contender, this movie has an all-star cast based on a true story cult hero from 1970s Harlem.

November 16, 2007: Beowolf (Historical Animation Fantasy). All star cast in this animated classic.

November 21, 2007: Enchanted (Fantasy). An animated, live-action fantasy.

December 7, 2007: The Golden Compass (fantasy) with Nicole Kidman.

December 12, 2007: Nanking (Documentary History). Woody Harrelson helps in this movie about Japan's invasion of Naking, China, a dark episode in Japan's history, possibly an Asian Schindler's List version as documentary.

December 21, 2007: P.S. I Love You (Comedy Romance). A movie about a grieving widow who gets a list of ten activities to do from her late husband.

December 25, 2007: Charlie Wilson's War (War, Action). Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman involve themselves in roles about the arming of Afghan rebels by CIA.

oscar jubis
05-22-2007, 05:54 PM
From the films you list to be released during the summer, these have received good early notices:
Drama/Mex, Interview, Camden 28, Moliere, Wristcutters, and The Savages.

Chris Knipp
05-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Moliere stars Romain Duris and looks like fun.

I saw Drama/Mex at the London Film Festival 50 last October and in my short comment (see Festival thread) I said
GERARDO NARANJO: DRAMA/MEX (2006). Feisty, sexy interwoven tales of couples striking out on their own and just striking out in modern-day Acapulco. Rough-looking, but very promising, with good casting and acting. Not unworthy of the country that has given us Alfonso Cuarón, Guillermo del Toro, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Ricardo Benet, et al. The omnibus film Paris je t'aime may have a lot of duds but I still would not miss if for some of the directors and some of the actors. That as well as Moliere I saw trailers for when I went to see Away from Her the other night so they are coming soon to the East Bay as is Zoo, the documentary about bestiality (all to Landmark Theaters). Ditto La Vie en Rose.

You also seem to have missed William Friedkin's Bug, from the amazing Tracy Letts play, which is opening very soon, and I also mentioned it in the London Film Festival thread thus:
WILLIAM FRIEDKIN: BUG (2006). A stunning film version of Tracy Letts's mind-blowing play about trailor-trash paranoia, in Letts's adaptation. Includes terrific performances, with a surprisingly menacing and gritty turn by Harry Connick, Jr. as an ex-con boyfriend But opens wide this Friday, and I'm heading to NYC that day.

What about Ocean's Thirteen?