PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman 3 (IMAX)

cinemabon
05-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Spiderman 3 – directed by Sam Raimi

*************SPOILERS***********************

From the opening credits, one gets the feeling Sam Raimi wishes to tie up all three films. As the credits play, we see key scenes playing in the background, which mostly involve the main characters and the guiding forces behind their motivations. In fact, Rami brings back characters from the first film, shooting new versions of scenes as we discover more details from the first story regarding Peter Parker (Toby Maguire), Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst) , and Aunt Mae (Rosemary Harris), as well as Parker’s friend, Harry Osborn (James Franco). All of this takes place in rapid-fire succession before the current film has legs.

All of the actors are equally accomplished, i.e., they cry on cue (I would say this film has too many teary scenes), the score is exciting, the editing fast paced with great continuity, and the sets are a marvel of the sublime mixed with the ridiculous. Raimi’s love of small characters adds a whole slew of small priceless vignettes, such as the child in the crowd, Jonah’s blood pressure, the ‘French’ maitre d’ and the landlord’s daughter, helping this film keep moving in its quieter moments.

Clearly, Sam Raimi loves New York City. His camera lovingly caresses the city with sweeping vistas reminiscent of Woody Allen’s “Manhattan” This time we get it in color and in IMAX (the large screen format I saw today). Little has changed. Parker is still a nerd without much money. Mary Jane is pursuing an elusive career in show business. Wealthy Harry still seeks revenge for his father’s death, knowing Parker is Spiderman.

By this time Parker is seriously courting Mary Jane. She seems receptive, too. However, Peter cannot see trouble brewing all around him. His ‘spidie’ sense doesn’t work with relationships. As Mary Jane’s career takes a tailspin, Spiderman is more popular than ever in the public eye. With friction developing between Mary Jane and Parker, enter the reincarnated Goblin (evident in the final moments of part 2). An incredible battle scene takes place in the alleys of New York between Spiderman and the new Harry/Goblin.

Far too early in the film for trouble to take Spidie by surprise, he defeats Harry but at a cost. Harry is beset with amnesia. His personality returns to his chummy self before the death of his father. On a romantic night in the park with Mary Jane, Parker is oblivious to a meteor that soft lands and spews out black ooze. This is the first true villain in this complex third chapter, Venom. The creature needs a symbiotic host in which to bond. It attaches to Spiderman and turns Toby into a slick womanizer in some rather comic scenes that break up the middle of the picture.

At the same time (still with me?) we have an escaped convict, Flint Marko, that during his escape from the police, falls into a pit of sand undergoing transformation due to a physics experiment. He then turns into the ‘Sandman’ (played by Thomas Hayden Church). The next battle scene happens when Parker finds out Marko is the real killer of his uncle (with new Cliff Robertson scenes). Spiderman seeks out and confronts the Sandman in not one but eventually three terrific battle scenes (the last is the enormous climax that fills the IMAX screen with great CGI stuff).

Whew! Wait! I’m still not done with this very complex story. When the Sandman first begins mixing things up in the city, he causes a crane to go screwy, crashing into a building where we see the second femme fatal, sensual Gwen Stacy (Bryce Dallas Howard) the police chief’s daughter (James Cromwell) fall from a building and gets saved by Spidey! Sparks fly when she kisses Spiderman upside down at a public ceremony (“Peter!” Mary Jane exclaims, “That was our kiss!”)

The film’s climax is as it should be expected, when the Goblin, Sandman, Venom, and Spiderman meet at a downtown street with Mary Jane again being threatened in the midst of this battle of the titans. Raimi does not disappoint his Spiderman fans delivering in spades. The film’s resolution is a bit unsatisfying and the subject of later discussion.

The film’s plot is ripe with moralizing, from Mary Jane, to Aunt May. Even Harry gets into the act when he interacts with his crazy dead father once more (also a new scene). Whether the fans will give the film enough repeat business will be the question of whether or not a fourth film will be in the works. I find that Raimi will not likely helm a fourth film. I make that guess by the way this film was written and cut. Raimi is making his final bow to the Spiderman series.

While the second film had great emotional heart (more than this film), this movie accomplishes what it set out to do, take the series to a proper conclusion, while still leaving open the possibility for more. I wouldn’t want to see another Spiderman without Sam Raimi at the helm. To me, Raimi has added heart and enough humor in all the right places to make this superhero series the best of all the superhero films. The Spiderman series gives Raimi his place in film history as the man that lovingly brought this comic classic to the screen.

Johann
05-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Yours is one of the few positive reviews I've read cinemabon.
The reviews on the imdb are quite negative. Overwhelmingly negative actually.

I loved Spiderman 2 and I like the first film.
I wonder how they screwed it up, especially after spending more money on it than Titanic.

I'll be seeing it on IMAX on my birthday.

I don't like the idea of Topher Grace playing Venom. He's too scrawny, too geeky, just plain wrong. I wanna see someone like Bill Goldberg in that suit! A massive hulking badass, not a sitcom darling who's about as bad as being stood up on a date.
Weird casting choice.
No idea who thought he's perfect.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have flipped through the hardcover book "The Spider-Man Chroncles" (making of Spidey 3) at Chapters and I don't like the stills of Topher in the suit. Venom is a massive, fearsome, imposing, ripped & shreded creature- with fangs of a hellion. This "movie-Venom" just doesn't look right.
But I'll see for myself- I may change my tune.
Hayden-Church is another story. He looks absolutely perfect as The Sandman. Dead-On. Can't wait to see the fight scenes with him. Looks like he popped right off the pages of the comics.

I really love the Spiderman costume they created for the films too- sleek, great color tones, excellent suit design. Very eye-pleasing. Fits like a glove on Tobey too- wouldn't it suck big time if they had a fabic suit that bunched up in the armpits or crotch?
Or if his mask hung on his head an Abu-Grahib special?
Wouldn't that be lame-O?
Kudos on making the costume look cool.

Despite all the negative reviews, I'm looking forward to seeing for myself.

tabuno
05-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Spiderman 3 which is likely to break opening day box office records is, in my opinion, an instant classic of popular movie fame. Like Jaws (1975) and Titanic (1997), this movie captures the important, vital essence of the emotional trials and important feelsing of our time. The "ripe moralizing" is an valuable contribution to this new century of movie making for the popular American public coming in the form of a comicbook hero. Much like Superman on television and the American way, Spiderman has turned Americans into looking seriously as well as comically at ourselves and values in a thrilling and exciting, entertaining way. While some of the special effects were below today's contemporary standards, the movie still resonates with a complex, substantive plot that Americans will be smart enough to comprehend and will be instilled with strong emotions that hopefully will leave them a little more open, empathic, and better as a human being for having experienced this movie. Nine of out Ten Stars and among my top 50 best movies of all time.

cinemabon
05-05-2007, 09:27 PM
I hate to pop Johann's bubble. I believe Sam and screenwriters Ivan Raimi (older brother physician turned writer) and well known Alvin Sargent (Oscars for Ordinary People and Julia) tried to cram far too much into the plot. Spiderman doesn't have one or two villains to contend with; he has four (if you include a failing relationship or holding onto his job versus the office kiss up). The inclusion of Venom almost seems an afterthought, making the gruesome creature that Stan Lee dragged out in several issues of Spiderman reduced to a few cameo appearances, which in the end is quickly diminished, as if they discovered they'd run out of time. Venom never gets to strut his stuff, so only in death, do we get a glimpse of what could be for the alien with a spidey complex.

I would not put too much credence in the reviews written at imdb.com. While I love the site as a resource, the people that often write opinions are hardly more qualified other than owning a computer with internet service.

I did check with rottentomatoes.com regarding overall opinion (which we've also discussed as variable on another column). Their cream of the crop however is much lower than the over all total in favor of Spider3; although I question their inclusion of some internet sites as being 'cream.' In my mind, the cream of the crop should be reserved for the mainstream print journalism. Even the obscure ones, such as Dallas Morning News, or Reel.com, should not be included as cream.

I am glad you are seeing the film in IMAX format. If you must see an overblown film with reliance on special effects, then this is the best way to see it, with all the stuff it thrown at you as loud as you can stand it. Happy birthday and enjoy.

tabuno
05-05-2007, 11:53 PM
cinemabon:

I hate to pop Johann's bubble. I believe Sam and screenwriters Ivan Raimi (older brother physician turned writer) and well known Alvin Sargent (Oscars for Ordinary People and Julia) tried to cram far too much into the plot. Spiderman doesn't have one or two villains to contend with; he has four (if you include a failing relationship or holding onto his job versus the office kiss up). The inclusion of Venom almost seems an afterthought, making the gruesome creature that Stan Lee dragged out in several issues of Spiderman reduced to a few cameo appearances, which in the end is quickly diminished, as if they discovered they'd run out of time. Venom never gets to strut his stuff, so only in death, do we get a glimpse of what could be for the alien with a spidey complex.

I've read about "too many villains to contend" with argument as a bad thing about Superman 3. I went into this movie not being really that interested in seeing it but as I sat through it, I was amazed as to how well the editing and script played out. I think that critics must be using the too many villains critique because they they themselves haven't realized that the popular audience is intelligent enough now to actually grasp the complexity of dense plots due to the increasing quality/nature of some of the cable television shows. When this movie is judged not on the source material as I haven't really been into Spiderman as a kid, the core of the movie is really amazing to me. This movie really is very, very good. I'm glad that no more time is devoted to Venom because the argument about their being too many villains might have been valid. The movie isn't about the villains as much as the moral/ethical and emotional turmoil of good and evil, of revenge and foregiveness that occurs among the good characters.

cinemabon
05-06-2007, 09:37 AM
The moralizing may have crossed the line to pontificating; however that said, I believe Alvin Sargent is probably responsible for bringing most of the humor to the piece and giving it nice touches here and there, such as the little girl selling the camera to Jameson (I won't give away the entire scene). Moments like that made Spiderman memorable to me, not when Mary Jane or Aunt May started to moralize about what Peter should do. We all know what Peter should do. If he had any real spidey sense, Peter should know as well.

FYI: according to deadlinehollywooddaily.com, the opening day for Spiderman 59 million is the largest in film history with the weekend total estimated today to top over 135 million making it the largest opening weekend domestic gross ever. The special midnight shows across the nation gave Sony-Columbia the first BO news by also being the first time the entire theater system allocated to run the special shows indicated they were sold out.

Read the entire article at:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/us-spidey-3-looking-bigger-than-1-or-2/

mouton
05-11-2007, 09:01 AM
SPIDERMAN 3
Written by Sam Raimi and Ivan Raimi
Directed by Sam Raimi

Mary Jane Watson: Everybody needs help. Even Spiderman.

As far as I’m concerned, you can drown those pirates at sea and banish that ogre to a land even further away because there’s only one sequel that matters this summer. SPIDERMAN 3 has finally swung through oncoming traffic and in and around the tallest buildings to land in theatres as the flagship film to launch the box office into summer. Legions of Spidey enthusiasts have had their tickets for weeks while critics have been waiting to review the latest installment in one the most successful and well-received film franchises in history. With expectations this high, its hard to imagine how Spidey could possible satisfy anyone fully. Yet despite the increasingly loud whispers of disappointment waiting to welcome SPIDERMAN 3, this critic slash Spidey enthusiast had himself one heck of a web slingin’ time and he’s not afraid to say it.

In the third, and what is sadly not likely the last in the Spiderman series, your friendly neighborhood Spiderman (Tobey Maguire) finds himself on top of the world. New York loves him; Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst) loves him; and subsequently, Spidey ends up loving himself a little more than he should. High on his own ego, he decides to make everything perfect in his life and ask MJ to marry him. Simple enough a concept but things get a little sticky when he has to deal with his uncle’s killer escaped from jail, his best friend’s obsession with getting revenge on him for his father’s death, having to compete with a new photographer at the Daily Bugle and MJ’s increasingly disastrous acting career. Oh, wait. I forgot that he also has to deal with The Sandman (Thomas Haden Church) and Venom (Topher Grace), the newest enemies to emerge in New York City, a city where freaks apparently flock to. It’s a lot for one man to handle, let alone one man with super human powers. Ultimately, it proved to be too much for another super human to handle, namely returning director, Sam Raimi. Taking over script duty with his brother Ivan, found a lot of interesting themes like revenge and ego woven into the Spidey web but so much going on leaves so little to fully develop. Scenes that would seem pivotal, like when Venom and Sandman decide to team up, end up feeling rushed while scenes that are entirely disposable, like when Spidey’s alter ego, Peter Parker, finds his “Saturday Night Fever” groove strutting down the streets of NYC, seem to go on forever.

While the first SPIDERMAN film, written by David Koepp (rumoured to be returning for SPIDERMAN 4) brought me to tears more than once, there is plenty to enjoy in SPIDERMAN 3 that allows forgiveness for the script problems. People seem to have forgotten that Spidey is here to entertain us. Sure it would be nice to be affected by the words being spoken as well but when the action is as tight and the special effects as vast as in SPIDERMAN 3, it is a pleasure to tune out for a while and enjoy the ride. With three enemies to fight off at any given moment, Spidey finds himself constantly reevaluating his approach. With the New Goblin (James Franco), Spidey has to fend off a very aggressive attacker that he doesn’t truly want to hurt. The Sandman, who enters and exits in a flurrying sandstorm that is a visual kaleidoscope of grain, is at times an insurmountable force. The fact that Spidey can’t effectively hit him only further shows how much energy is wasted on revenge (as he was the man who actually killed his uncle in his pre-Sandman days). And Venom is just plain frightening. Being under the control of the tar-like substance that transforms cocky photographer, Eddie Brock (Grace), into this fanged fright, amplifies all of your aggressive, negative behavior. For Spidey, fighting Venom is like fighting all the parts of himself that he tries so hard to leave behind.

When SPIDERMAN hit theatres a few in 2002, its energy was infectious. Hopes were high and the goods were delivered. Genuine admiration was formed for the hero but like any hero, people eventually want to tear them down out of jealousy. How quickly we forget the love and allow our expectations to be set so high that no one, not even a man who glides gracefully through the sky, could surmount them. Better than the second, not as good the first, SPIDERMAN 3 is falling prey to the audience’s need to be constantly wowed with something bigger and better that eclipses accomplishments that are already awesome. Sure Raimi got himself tangled up in his own overcomplicated web but there is no one who can spin it like he can. And if Raimi, Maguire and Dunst don’t return for future installments, you’ll all be wishing you hadn’t squashed this spider so quickly.

www.blacksheepreviews.blogspot.com

cinemabon
05-12-2007, 03:03 PM
I followed your link... excellent website! Did you design it yourself? Very professional. I must commend you on its execution.

*******************MAJOR SPOILERS****************

I'd like to discuss what inferences/meanings you took from Raimi's repeated flashbacks to Ben's death (as told in three versions in the film). In the first version, I understood that Flint Marko killed Ben. In the second version, I felt Raimi brought back the image of the original killer (Michael Papajohn), who turned out to be Marko's accomplice. However, in the third flashback, the accomplice shoots Ben, then blames Marko for the act by tossing him the gun.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment regarding Raimi's emphasis on certain scenes. Clearly the union between the two villains is a pivotal moment leading up to the climax. The script never explains why Venom, with its ability to outmaneuver Spiderman at his own game, would need Sandman at all.

As far as the story is concerned, I feel Raimi bit off more than he could chew. With the romance and personal side of this story being complicated enough, trying to bring in two villains overloaded the story with too many subplots, making it confusing. Raimi could cut the enitre Sandman part from the film without any loss in entertainment value. Make those scenes part of a fourth film. As it is, the ending is as unsatisfying as the complicated plot.

So Parker stands on the roof top, takes the time to wave goodbye to Sandman and lets his friend die? I heard a man behind me speak up, "The second movie was more emotionally satisfying than this one. What kind of ending is that?"

I couldn't agree more. Overall, the series is great. But like Star Wars ("Empire..."), the second film will always stand out as the one with the heart.

mouton
05-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Hey Cinemabon!

First off, thanks for the kudos. The webiste is really just a blogger premade layout that I've customized a teeny bit. I like it and it's real easy to use but I will be transitioning to an actual website one of these days.

Now, back to the spider at hand. I felt the flashback sequences to Uncle Ben's death (not to be confused with the death of the popular rice dish) were meant to show how we should not make presumptions about people or happenings. Peter's anger led him to believe he knew exactly what happened and as a viewer we should have felt the same. After all, the police told us he did it and he is The Sandman. Put two and two together and presto! Meanwhile, we all forgot to allow for innocence until proven otherwise. I think Raimi was playing with us a little there because the flashback where you see Flint kill Ben seems false and unmotivated, out of character even.

I fell the Spiderman movies have been running on less and less emotion. This is what happens when you have a crowd of special effects craved fans to satisfy. Problem is, you will lose those same fans if you deliver hollow goods. I revisited the first two Spiderman movies before seeing the third. I found the first to be surprisingly moving. Beautiful imagery but poignant musings on love and family as well as some genuine moments of vulnerability between Peter and MJ. In Spidey 2, I found Peter's lack of confidence to be the most engaging thing about it.
Spidey 3 had potential to explore ego, revenge and a deeper love between Peter and MJ. Instead, the most sentiment we got was a lesson from Aunt May about how you have to be ready to put your wife first if you're going to be serious about getting married. This is not only weak and tired but bad advice too. It puts the woman in her role as a man's possession and takes away from her own individuality. Maybe if there was a saring of this regard for each other, equality would have an easier time being achieved.

Anyway, that's a little more theory of why the modern institution of marriage is crumbling and a little less Spiderman.

Tell your friends about the the site!
Have a great day.

cinemabon
05-14-2007, 07:02 AM
Spiderman 3 - toujours perdrix, no?

mouton
05-14-2007, 02:56 PM
My French must be escaping me but Perdrix?

Johann
05-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Spiderman 3

Well you'll definitely leave the theatre knowing you saw something. I've been really struggling to write a review of Raimi's latest Spiderman film.

I really liked some sequences. The Sand-monster cgi was astounding- looked like the main place they spent the budget.

I'm really at a loss for words. I could not believe what I was witnessing with this 3rd intallment of Peter Parker and his insane life. I find myself looking for a way to convey the shock and awe of how Schumachered this franchise has become. They really nailed bad, and to borrow a line from the film, "it likes it".

Topher Grace is all wrong. This film is really disturbing. Spidey and everyone in his orbit's got issues.

I loved every scene with Bruce Campbell and J.R. Simmons- he's the perfect J.J. Jameson. Bryce Dallas Howard stuns and Kirsten Dunst is wonderful.

Tobey, I don't know what he was doing in this film but he delivered a lot of character wierdness that left me quite unsettled.

I don't know what to say about this film- lots of cliches.
It was Spiderman but it was also...
Raimi, you got some explaining to do.
This film stands in cinema history as a singular, box-office record setting phenomenon that I cannot fathom.

cinemabon
05-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Toujours perdrix... too much of a good thing!