PDA

View Full Version : Darren Aronofsky's THE FOUNTAIN

mouton
12-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Hmm ... It always surprises me when I start these threads. I would've expected someone would have jumped on this one already. Anyhow ...

THE FOUNTAIN
Written and Directed by Darren Aronofsky

THE FOUNTAIN reinvigorates the meaning of “labour of love.” Writer/Director Darren Aronofsky’s ambitious offering had many eyes on it from the moment of its conception, through its disastrous pre-production period and even more so now as it finally unrolls into theatres. When his last film, REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, struck many a chord amongst many a different viewer (it is a compelling plea to not use drugs as many people watch the film high and never want to touch the stuff again), people knew they had a young genius in Aronofsky. Naturally, Hollywood wanted him all to itself. The problem is that Aronofsky is anything but Hollywood. When THE FOUNTAIN got the green light from a major Hollywood studio, conditional to Brad Pitt’s attachment to the project, Aronofsky found himself in a new world. In this world, budgets blow up to $75 million, stars back out, funding disappears and you can spend $20 million without shooting a single frame. When THE FOUNTAIN was shut down, Aronofsky would not let go. This is the film his heart wanted to make and so he scaled the budget down to $35 million and found a new cast and new funding. Somehow though, while everyone scrambled to get THE FOUNTAIN made, no one seemed to notice what a hard sell it was going to be. Aronofsky attempts to show in an hour and a half that we as humans are not of our bodies but that the soul, life and love are eternal; that the death of our physical bodies is both a natural and necessary part of what we know as life; that we should neither fear it nor fight it but accept it as peacefully as possible. He attempts to tell this by stretching his story over a thousand years. Though the vastness of his ideas lose some focus around the edges and struggle to remain congealed, THE FOUNTAIN remains incredibly beautiful with piercing performances by Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz that plant the seeds necessary for Aronofsky’s ethereal ideas to grow in the souls of his audience. Despite all the love given, the roots could have still used a little more water.

Jackman and Weisz play Tom and Izzi Creo in the year 2000. Izzi has an inoperable tumor in her brain and not much time left on earth. Tom is a scientist, a rational man who believes that death is no more than another disease that can one day be cured. As Tom tries to play God, Izzi embraces that she will soon meet God. Jackman plays Tom as tortured and desperate and his performance is in direct conflict with Weisz’s embodiment of Izzi as a creative beacon of repose and understanding. Yet they still manage to share a life together, one that is clearly based on a deep and engrossing love that binds them, thanks to a tender, caring chemistry between Jackman and Wiesz. The present day chemistry needs to be solid in order for the bookending to fall into place. 500 years later, Tom finds himself traveling through space towards a dying star in order have that life that is fading be reborn in the tree of life he is traveling with. 500 years earlier, Tom finds himself searching for the tree of life in order to give himself and his queen (an earlier incarnation of Izzi) eternal life. It is in these two extremes that Aronofsky exhibits his strengths and weaknesses. The future scenes are organic and spiritual making his quest seem plausible in an other-worldly fashion but the past sequences, told as a story and not confirmed as an actual past life, seem stagy and forced.

Aronofsky’s ambition opens minds to new possibilities but it also takes on too much. A common thread was obviously necessary to tie three story elements that span a thousand years but he focuses on two threads instead, causing a struggle. Tom and Izzi’s love anchors the center story but though Izzi is present in the past and future, their love is not the central issue. There is an expectation that it would be more prominent that is never fulfilled. Instead, what Tom cannot deal with in the central story becomes the focus in the later and prior. No matter when, Tom is always seeking the key to eternal life. Death brings about rebirth and Tom must spend a thousand years trying to figure that out. It is ultimately Tom’s journey but Izzi is so compelling that she draws attention away from him. Despite this, the timelessness of his quest shows how fighting against death is an unnatural exertion that limits potential when one is fortunate enough to be alive that can also only reach its true potential by crossing through death.

There is no dispute that Aronofsky is a genuine artist and genius in his own right. THE FOUNTAIN shows his insight, his openness and his innovation. How else can one describe the usage of chemical reactions in a Petri dish shot with a microphotography camera as the backdrop for the future scenes? The technique is even intrinsically linked to the themes of the film. Obviously the scientific approach is an extension of Tom’s profession but the approach was also chosen to give the film a timeless feel and avoid the dating that can sometimes happen with CGI. But for all its ingenuity, THE FOUNTAIN never feels like it has fully translated from Aronofsky’s complex mind to the screen. That being said, there are worse places to be trapped than the mind of a genius.

oscar jubis
12-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Brooklyn native Darren Aronofsky showed promise with his intriguing debut Pi, and Requiem for a Dream, an effective cautionary tale. Six years later, The Fountain arrives into theatres and the questions I had about its tortuous production history have been answered. This riff on immortality calls into question Mr. Aronofsky's storytelling skills, and the script is peppered with clunky lines of dialogue. Most of these were written for the director's fiance, Ms. Rachel Weisz ("I feel different every moment, every single one of them" she says while taking a bath). But Weisz is playing a writer facing impending death with grace and dignity, while Hugh Jackman is saddled with the role of a petulant doctor prone to temper tantrums and grandiosity ("Death is a disease, it's like any other. And there's a cure. A cure - and I will find it" he exclaims loudly).The filmmaking features some attractive overhead zooms but Aronofsky is overly enamored of close-ups and extreme close-ups. It's become a crutch for the director. Walk into a theatre playing The Fountain at random moments and most likely you'll encounter Jackman's mug emoting. No film I've seen this year has greater potential as fodder for comedy skits. And that's not funny.

Chris Knipp
12-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Daren Aronofsky: The Fountain (2006)

Life, death, love, I'm okay with those things

Review by Chris Knipp

"Spanning over one thousand years, and three parallel stories, The Fountain is a story of love, death, spirituality, and the fragility of our existence in this world."

I confess myself not a fan of Aronofsky, and this ambitious excursion into sci-fi metaphysics does nothing to banish my previous annoyance at his muddy avant-gardism (Pi) and his simpleminded tract on drugs that unaccountably was greeted as hip (Requiem for a Dream). After a longish pause, he has taken another direction, one of greater ambition but no greater clarity or good sense. He now has a beautiful girlfriend, mother of his child, Academy Award winner Rachel Weisz, whom he’s made the center of a movie about—what? You be the judge, but obviously it touches on modest topics like love, death, spirituality, and the fragility of our existence in this world, seeking to encompass them through a three-pronged story-line about:

1. A present-day medical researcher, Tommy Creo (Hugh Jackman), working on monkeys with brain tumors in hopes of finding a cure for his wife Izzi’s (Wiesz’s) tumor; she has one too. This leads to some medically and scientifically questionable procedures (unlikely ones too) which a distinguished supervisor, Dr. Lillian Guzetti (Ellen Burstyn) strenuously disapproves of.

2. A Spanish explorer, Tomas (Jackman, looking for the fountain of life (or youth) in Latin America, urged on by Queen Isabel (Weisz), with trouble afoot from Grand Inquisitor Silecio (Stephen McHattie). Encounters with Mayan hierophants dressed up like in Apocalypto also occur. Thre's some hand-to-hand combat, but nobody's heart gets ripped out.

3. Meanwhile in the future sometime a sort of astronaut or guru is floating in outer space, sometimes in the yoga position. His name is Tommy (Jackman) and his guiding spirit is …..you guessed it, Izzi (Weisz). He seems to be the custodian of a magical tree.

Variations in chevelure distinguish the two stars in the separate time-frames. In sequence 1, Jackman has the unshaven look, with a down-flop hairdo. In No. 2, he’s lushly bearded. In 3, he’s as bald as an egg. Weisz’s hair lengths vary appropriately.

Now, themes do emerge, and they’re grand. "Death is an act of creation," the Maya priest (who’s into killing people) says. "What if you could live forever?""Death is a disease, like any other," medical researcher Tommy shouts. "Death frees every soul," somebody says. Tomas samples the sap from a magical tree. Dropped on the ground it makes a stripling spring up instantly covered with leaves. Tomas applies it to a wound and the wound closes. He drinks a big glob of it and that is a big mistake. He’s covered with striplings, springing out of his body. Back to the drawing board on that one.

The plight of researcher Tommy and his brave but doomed wife Izzi gets most of the screen time, and this is the segment that is easiest to parse into a narrative (though it's corny and punctuated with vapid dialogue), while not only is the development of the other segments spotty, their relationship to each other and the main plot remains incoherent, at most symbolic.

Jackman is a good sport; it’s not his fault that his futuristic guru and his conquistador are mere fragments and his recurrent stints as the nervous researcher are stagy and less convincing than a TV hospital series. Weisz is a radiant beauty and a warm presence; she has a few moments when her emotions seem real. Her Spanish queen is just a static cameo. Ellen Burstyn adds class to a minor role. It’s hard to speak of direction.

The uncertainty of this project is indicated by the fact that it is an attempt to redo a glossier one for which Warner Brothers put up $75 million (of which $20 million was spent), and which was to star Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. Irreconcilable differences between Pitt and Aronofsky were cited. Brad and Cate apparently went off to do the equally over-ambitious but infinitely superior Babel This pickup version was made for less than half the original budget. It appears corners were cut on the lighting. It is dim. The movie itself is a murky mess.

This is one genius whose mind I don't want to be trapped inside of.

oscar jubis
12-15-2006, 08:29 PM
I hadn't heard about this "genius" tag elsewhere. I thought the first film showed promise and the second one works well. What The Fountain shows is that perhaps Pitt is more of a "genius" than Aronofsky.

Chris Knipp
12-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Ha! I'm just referring to mouton's "genius tag."

There's more to Pitt than meets the eye. If he can play off Clooney, he's a smooth operator.

mouton
12-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Aw, Chris. Thanks for the nod there at the end. I thought it at first to be a quirky coincidence but obviously, it's more of a response. I should be more specific. I was intrigued by PI but I did fall asleep half way through my first screening. I did not enjoy REQUIEM FOR A DREAM the first time I saw it. I felt it was overdone and there were far too many repeated uses of visual gimmickry. Upon second viewing, forced at the hands of die hard fans, I came to appreciate the performances and plights much more. With THE FOUNTAIN, my roommate had come home the night before I saw it, moved by the entire experience. I had to see what it was all about. Frankly, I found it to be about too much. You can feel Aronofsky reaching for so many theories on death and love everlasting, leaving the concepts unfinished. I did however connect with some of his themes, who isn't a little intirgued by death really? And I was entirely taken in by the lights and colours of the future sequences. I even find most people too harsh on Jackman's performance. I felt him to be surrounded by idiots in the experiment scenes but he still stood tall amongst the apes. All this to say, Aronofsky has obviously got something that sets him apart from the rest of the pack. He's got a good eye, an innovative approach to style but he is still working on his formulation of thought.

One last thing, Chris. There is a minor error in your text. Tom and Izzi's last name is Creo, not Oreo. Albeit Creo is a cheesy character name given roots in the word, "believe" but it isn't a supermarket cookie.

Chris Knipp
12-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the correction on the name, mouton. I'll fix that.

People, maybe predominantly young people, are conditioned one way or another to love this movie. It pushes the right buttons for them. It therefore, for them, doesn't have to be logical or well written or connected or even decently lighted. It's awesome--to them. The IMDb Comments section is full of "Tens." Best I ever saw, etc. The person I know who loves this movie recently turned sixteen. I think Aronofsky has appealed to a young audience in his previous outings too. Pi had a kind of fake profundity. It was foggy, but felt deep and original. As for Requiem for a Dream, that really baffles me. It is such a crude anti-drug tract. I am anti-drug myself, but having dealt addiction directly, I have a somewhat nuanced and three-dimensional view of this subject, which Aronofsky fails to exhibit in the film. What it has going for it is fab ulous looking young people --Jennifer, Jared -- and a Burstyn willing to look awful and go for broke in her role; and a sharply stylized look and style that for some, seems both "druggy" and cool. But a style doesn't make a good movie out of this simplistic stuff. So I differ from you on this director, and unlike Oscar, did not think he showed promise, only that he'd gotten lucky with audiences and reviews. He really ran into trouble with The Fountain. It went wrong, and he foundered, and the structure is sketchy. Since the movie tanked critically and lost money for the company, I should think he's going to have to go back to making lower budget stuff. And maybe that will be good for him.

I said nothing against Jackman, though I was making fun of the movie's contrasting hair styles. I do not think he looked bad or poverplayed anything. He isn't the kind of actor who could ever look bad, or conduct himself in an embarrassing manner. That's what I ment by saying he was a good sport. He's also dashing and handsome. And he can sing and dance! This should have been made as a musical!

Johann
12-19-2006, 09:41 AM
I'm interested in this after seeing the trailer.

It may be flawed but it seems as though it's a Looking-Glass type of fantastical story, not unlike Gaiman & McKean's MirrorMask, which I have very high praise for.

This is the kind of film that I love "giving it up" for, or as Ebert said, decisions can be deferred for a couple hours.
(Especially with some herbal tea enhancement..)

And Hugh Jackman's performance has been lauded as oscar-worthy. Seems like a movie at LEAST worth checking out.

oscar jubis
12-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Herb does improve this type of material, but I like CK's idea that it shoudda been a musical. I just rewatched MirrorMask, which is vastly superior, more fun, more daring, more inventive, etc. than Fountain.

Chris Knipp
12-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Johann, I think you're going to find that this is a pretty wan effort. It ain't got the juice. But try it if you want to. We did. Join the exfountain club.

Johann
12-20-2006, 07:08 AM
You guys are really leaning on my predilection to see it.
I take your suggestions seriously.

I'll weigh in later.

Chris Knipp
12-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Okay.