PDA

View Full Version : The Prestige

Johann
11-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Fine fine entertainment from Christopher Nolan.

I love the look and feel of Nolan's films.

This is a very well acted movie with beautiful production design and artistic cinematography.

2 magicians are at war, and the intrigue is weighty.

Bale is one of the best actors working today, Hugh Jackman is no slouch, Caine is always in fine form- what can you complain about?

Not much- Scarlett Johanson is beyond sexy- she's uber-sexy.
Sexy to the zillionth power. Damn.

Excellent. Can't wait for THE DARK KNIGHT.

oscar jubis
11-02-2006, 09:35 PM
The Prestige appeals to that human drive that strives to create order out of randomness and to find a solution to an enigma. The Nolans provide the generic content-based mysteries, then slice and dice the narrative and serve it scrambled. The filmmakers maintain a perfect balance that keeps the viewer intrigued and engaged by doling out clues gradually. The viewer's confusion and disorientation is accompanied by a feeling that the film is faithful to an internal logic which becomes increasingly evident. This internal logic involves an element of science fiction one simply must accept in order to embrace the film.

Audiences today are not particularly enamored of period pieces like The Prestige. There is no way this film will gross as much as Saw III or The Departed. Yet what is happening is that The Prestige is generating a lot of "repeaters". Folks who've simply got to see it again. The plot is very elaborate and many go back hoping to find answers to lingering questions regarding what I'll call narrative minutiae. On first viewing, the viewer is thoroughly occupied with puzzle-solving and establishing a sense of chronological order. I expect that a second viewing will put the viewer in touch with the plight of the two central characters in a more affecting manner. I'm hoping The Prestige will hold up after repeat viewings and make more of an emotional impact on me. This is a good movie, but I don't know yet how good it is. It's also a bitch to review; one wants to discuss the intricate plot but doing so would spoil it for the reader who hasn't seen it.

Johann
11-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks again Oscar.

The Prestige will definitely hold up on repeat viewings.
It's a beautiful movie.

The twists and turns build on one another until you don't know what to believe.

I was impressed with Hugh Jackman's performance.
He was really good.
Everyone was great in it.

I suppose some people would have to see it again and again to catch what they might have missed but I followed it no prob.

It's a sly film.
Clandestine moviemaking, as it were.
Nolan's a magician himself.
I love the man's STYLE.
Tasty filmmaking- edgy and compelling.

oscar jubis
11-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks to you for opening the discussion. I have to admit there's a detail or three I haven't quite figured out, although the important stuff is fairly obvious if you follow the directive to "watch closely". I have to watch The Prestige again, for many reasons. I hope it stays in theatres longer because I won't be able to watch it again for a couple of weeks. Do you think it's ok to discuss plot material in the future when other regulars have had a chance to watch it?

Johann
11-08-2006, 07:35 AM
No one has really said if they are going to see this or not, so I don't know- should we discuss the plot?

The only thing that had me scratching my head was *someone* being willing to kill themselves for a trick- is THAT really believable? You're willing to go to those lengths just to one-up a rival? And as it was pointed out on the imdb the audience saw him alive when the murder takes place- that wouldn't hold up in court!

BTW- the reason I said Jackman was really good is because he played his double. I liked the "plotting" scene at the bar- that was when I said to myself that Hugh is a better actor than I thought he was.

BYZANTINE INTRIGUE....

Oh yeah- I forgot about Lord David Bowie as Tesla.

I loved his accent and his "scientific" mind.
Bowie seems to like roles that have him playing interesting historical figures.

oscar jubis
11-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Johann
No one has really said if they are going to see this or not, so I don't know- should we discuss the plot?

I'm going to go ahead and do precisely that and issue a clear warning:

SPOILERS BELOW. STOP READING AND GO WATCH THE PRESTIGE.

A question I have is whether the death of Angiers' wife, which originates their rivalry, was entirely accidental. I think that is what we're meant to assume since the film never returns to that issue. When we first see Borden in court we think he was accussed of killing her but later we find out he was charged with the murder of Angier. Nothing more is said about the woman's death during a magic trick.

The only thing that had me scratching my head was *someone* being willing to kill themselves for a trick- is THAT really believable? You're willing to go to those lengths just to one-up a rival? And as it was pointed out on the imdb the audience saw him alive when the murder takes place- that wouldn't hold up in court!

Excellent. There's two levels of discussion. One is whether the film is faithful to its own internal logic, which is broad enough to include the use of a cloning machine, the "original" Angier being willing to die (even though there'll be an exact replica of himself to supplant him), and the Borden twins having such unity of purpose (so much so that there are folks who keep insisting there's only one Borden and the other one is a clone). The second level of discussion involves whether or not the viewer can think of these characters as resembling human beings (hence, as you put it, "is THAT really believable? You're willing to go to those lengths just to one-up a rival"). I don't want to come to firm conclusions without a second viewing but I think my answer to that question is NO. Angier and the Bordens are fantastic confections in a film that has a lot to offer (a must-see movie-movie) but perhaps not emotional resonance.

Bowie seems to like roles that have him playing interesting historical figures.

He's played Pontius Pilate, Andy Warhol, and now Nikolas Tesla. He does voice work in Luc Besson's new animated film Arthur and the Minimoys.

Johann
11-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Awesome post man.

Um, I admit I was a little skeptical about Angier's wife's death- when Jackman issues an "I suspect you" missive, I was wondering what the hell his problem was.

Why would Bale (Borden) intentionally kill his wife?

But he doesn't exactly quell the matter, does he?

We are led to believe something else, and that's why it's a great movie. Nolan is revelling in his storytelling. His career is something I've got a keen eye on.
Batman is a DC God, and Nolan's been the torchbearer of late.

His resurrection of a nearly killed franchise of a character I've been reading since a lad is serious to me.

If The Prestige is the kind of project he does between batfilms, then we got a modern genius director on our hands.

I second your order to see this film if you haven't already.

Chris Knipp
11-19-2006, 02:53 AM
I will catch this when I can. As so often happens, the trailers make the movie look maybe more conventional than from your comments it apparently actually is.

I'm not going to read your specific discussions now though.

oscar jubis
11-23-2006, 02:12 PM
You might want to see this soon because it's beginning to "phase out". First four posts are safe for Prestige virgins.

Chris Knipp
11-23-2006, 06:37 PM
It will be soon.