PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Macdonald: The Last King of Scotland (2006)

Chris Knipp
09-29-2006, 10:02 PM
KEVIN MACDONALD: THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND (2006)

Toxic temptations

In this film Kevin Macdonald, a Scot, directs James McAvoy, a Scot, as Nicholas Garrigan, a brash, spirited, and foolish young doctor just out of medical school in the early 1970's who overnight becomes a close associate of Idi Amin (Forrest Whitaker), the new dictator of Uganda. Amin had served in the British army and developed an admiration for the Scots. He gave himself the title "His Excellency President for Life Field Marshal Al Hadji Dr. Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, King of Scotland, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular." He liked to dress his soldiers in kilts and have them sing Scottish songs.

Before this Macdonald made Touching the Void and other documentaries, including One Day in September, about the Munich Israeli Olympic team massacre. This film, which is not a documentary and departs freely from fact at least at certain key points, is based on the 1997 novel by Giles Foden, which concerns the doctor. But Macdonald’s writers, including Jeremy Brock, who penned Mrs. Brown, and Peter Morgan, who scripted Frears’ The Queen, have jazzed up the more bland original character and made him younger and bolder. Garrigan has picked Uganda at random. He is attractive and dashing: he’s already flirting with the pretty blonde wife of the head of the rural medical clinic he’s come to work in, when he’s grabbed, with her, to "save" the paranoid Amin. The newly ascended President for Life has hurt his hand in an accident involving a farmer’s cow. Garrigan impresses Amin by not just calmly fixing his sprained hand but also grabbing his presidential pistol and putting the cow out of its misery.

When Amin learns Nicholas is a Scot, he takes off his military shirt complete with medals and trades it on the spot for a "Scotland" T-shirt Nicolas is wearing -- for his son, Campbell. Amin has another son named Macgregor.

Almost immediately thereafter Amin persuades the young doctor to leave the clinic and become his personal physician in Kampala, the capital (where the movie was shot), sets him up with a Mercedes and a posh apartment in the presidential compound and makes him a most trusted consultant, allowing him to decide on the design for a major building. Observing this exceptional access, a cynical British diplomat (Simon McBurney) approaches Nicholas and cautions him to "keep in touch," an offer the young man initially rebuffs.

Garrigan’s seduced, as are we, initially, by Amin’s charisma and charm, and only gradually does he become skeptical and eventually horrified as he realizes he’s the intimate of a ferocious dictator who, estimates say, killed off 300,000 of his citizens, as well as expelling all the Asians from the country. What’s interesting is how the daring young man as we see him can hardly help being thus seduced; how the two men seduce each other. But Nicholas is in a terribly weak position when things go wrong. Whitaker and McAvoy play off each other nicely as they act out this process.

Several dramatic events involving Garrigan in the two-hour film’s latter segment strain credulity, including the way the young doctor’s escape is intertwined with the Entebbe plane hijacking incident, and the kinds of trouble he gets into on the way to that escape.

What makes this film, whose plotline can scarcely compete with that of the more multileveled and thought-provoking The Constant Gardener, and which has a grainy newsreel look that’s undistinguished, is Forest Whitaker’s astonishing performance as Idi Amin Dada. Whitaker usually plays soft spoken, sensitive types. This time he nails a range from fearful to seductive to terrifying, connecting them with a seamlessly explosive energy. One would say Whitaker is this picture, except that it’s unmistakably also young McAvoy’s. Essential to the film is the way McAvoy, who’s had mostly more minor and more purely physical roles before (he was the fawn in Narnia) plays off Whitaker beautifully and woos us too with his convincing enthusiasm and dash. This is a very watchable but also disturbing movie which one wishes might have maintained greater verisimilitude. When documentarians embroider the truth, sometimes they go off way too far. But this is not unusual: a great performance in a less-than-great movie. We have to take what we can get, and in The Last King of Scotland we get a very wild ride.

oscar jubis
10-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Chris Knipp
This film, which is not a documentary and departs freely from fact at least at certain key points, is based on the 1997 novel by Giles Foden, which concerns the doctor. But Macdonald’s writers have jazzed up the more bland original character and made him younger and bolder.

Yes. According to Foden, the characters in his book are a combination of research, memory and imagination. The Last King of Scotland's scriptwriters took further liberties. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but those interested in the real dictator would get closer to the truth by renting the documentary General Idi Amin Dada: Autoportrait (a Criterion dvd release).

Several dramatic events involving Garrigan in the two-hour film’s latter segment strain credulity, including the way the young doctor’s escape is intertwined with the Entebbe plane hijacking incident, and the kinds of trouble he gets into on the way to that escape.

The thriller elements begin to predominate over the last half hour and they are quite effective as genre pleasures. Certain events do strain credulity, particularly from a historical point of view, but the intertitle at the beginning states the film was "inspired" rather than the more widely used "based" on actual persons and events.

What makes this film, whose plotline can scarcely compete with that of the more multileveled and thought-provoking The Constant Gardener

The Constant Gardener is more "thought-provoking" in my opinion because its themes have more contemporary relevance. But that film also surrenders to the requirements of the thriller genre towards its conclusion.

Forest Whitaker’s astonishing performance as Idi Amin Dada. Whitaker usually plays soft spoken, sensitive types. This time he nails a range from fearful to seductive to terrifying, connecting them with a seamlessly explosive energy.

The Last King of Scotland will have a longer theatrical run because of the publicity that Whitaker's deserved Oscar nom will generate. It may leave theatres only to come back as a re-release after the Academy announces its nominees.

I agree with your take on this film, Chris. I would just like to add than there's a subplot involving Garrigan and Kay Amin, one of the dictator's wives. I doubt very much their relationship has any factual basis. But it gave me an opportunity to take pleasure in another great, small performance by Kerry Washington (Lift, Ray). I've been a great admirer of her since her breakthrough performance in the independent film Our Song (2000).

Chris Knipp
10-21-2006, 05:30 AM
As you probably know the film is based on a novel and the doctor character is largely invention, including no doubt the affair with Amin's wife, which other reviewers have noted is pretty preposterous. This isn't a great film but I think if offers pleasures as well as acting of amazing depth.

\I'm inLondon at the LFF and saw Forrest Whittiker in person. He is a tall, elegant man.

oscar jubis
10-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Garrigan is a composite character. Half of him is based on Bob Astles, a former Brit soldier widely perceived to have been Amin's closest advisor. They used to call him "White Rat". He couldn't escape at the end of the regime and ending up serving 10 years in a Kampala jail for his participation in Amin's dictatorship. The "other half" of the character of Garrigan is based on interviews Giles Foden conducted with British doctors serving in Uganda during the 70s.

I think that rather than say The Last King of Scotland is "not great" or "less than great" we should simply call it "damn good". Even the thriller elements don't bother me. I accept the film as a thriller inspired by history rather than a factual account of what happened in Uganda in the 70s. It doesn't claim to be that. The affair between Garrigan and Kay is believable thanks to the excellent performances and the chemistry between the actors.

Enjoy London and report back on your experiences at the LIFF.

Chris Knipp
11-11-2006, 09:08 AM
I think I have reported on my LFF viewings in a thread--also here

http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?t=691

I may write in more detail about some of the individual films when I get a chance.

There is always some reason to feel discomfort about heavily fictionalized history. As you yourself note, one has to go elswwhere to get closer to the truth, and young people can often gain a distorted picture of history through loose fictionalizations like this. The movie doesnàt really show the monstrous behavior of Amin in very concrete terms; it just shows that he has dangerous mood shifts.

As for 'damn good,' vs. 'not great,' the reason I used 'not great' is that arguably the performance by Forest Whittaker is great, and it's in the ontext of a less-than-great film, which sort of takes the film itself down a peg. I'm not really sure what 'damn good' means, and don't think you usually use that term. I'd go for highly watchable or enjoyable, but flawed. Some of it is wildly implausible, and that's not so good.

oscar jubis
11-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Chris Knipp
I think I have reported on my LFF viewings in a thread--also here
http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewtopic.php?t=691
I may write in more detail about some of the individual films when I get a chance.

I had seen your London post and wanted to reply but one can't respond to any threads that go into "Festival Coverage". As for myself, I'd rather keep my festival coverage in the General Section so folks can reply and let me know they are interested. It's an incentive to keep going when time and energy are in short supply. So I'm glad you mentioned your London coverage here. I'd be very interested in longer reviews of Drama/Mex and Bug (it's interesting that the film was singled out by FIPRESCI at Cannes' Quinzaine de Realisateurs yet it got trashed by Variety's #1 crit Todd McCarthy).

Here in Miami, I watched the world premiere of the latest comedy by Pascal Thomas. It's called Le Grand Appartement, starring Mathieu Amalric and Pierre Arditi (the 2-time Cesar winner and Resnais regular). It was the opening film of a French series. Enjoyable, well-acted, ebullient-often-wacky comedy based on an overwrought premise.

But the film I'd like to mention to you is the new Costa-Gavras (Like Almodovar, he's no longer using his first name). It's called Le Couperet and it's the best film I watched at the Fort Lauderdale Film Festival. It's a shame this one isn't getting distributed. If you're still in Paris you may want to check out the dvd. I might write a post about it if I find the time.

the reason I used 'not great' is that arguably the performance by Forest Whittaker is great, and it's in the ontext of a less-than-great film, which sort of takes the film itself down a peg.

Down a peg from great still results in a film people should watch. I agree that some plot turns are implausible but what matters is that The Last King of Scotland is reasonably faithful to the man that was Idi Amin and to the close relationship he developed with a white foreigner who grew into a type of advisor/confidante of the dictator.

Chris Knipp
11-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Am still out of the country but in Italy now. Whenever I get the time and energy I will try to expand comments on Bug and Drama/Mex as well as some other new movies I have recently seen. Don't know about Le grand appartement but I like to see what Amalric does. When you say Le couperet isn't getting distributed I assume you mean in the US.
(it's interesting that the film was singled out by FIPRESCI at Cannes' Quinzaine de Realisateurs yet it got trashed by Variety's #1 crit Todd McCarthy) Which of the two? I assume you mean Drama/Mex and will check Variety's review of it. He could have been put off by its rough look, but its full of good stuff.

oscar jubis
11-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Oh Italia!
Le Grand Appartement was enjoyable but not memorable. It opens in Paris on December 27th.
Of course I mean Le Couperet is not being distributed in the US. Shame. By know it's absolutely clear to me that there are a lot more good-to-great foreign-language films that are NOT distributed than those that are distributed. There are many ways to access these films but they are relegated to obscure, outsider status.

No, it's BUG that got a FIPRESCI prize and got destroyed by McCarthy.

Chris Knipp
11-18-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm glad the excellent Bug got the Fipresci prize. As you'll see I've written about it on the site now, but I haven't had the time or energy to do Drama/Mex; I still hope to, some time later if I don't get too distracted when I get home.

Another LFF film we saw that is worth writing about is The Singer, with Depardieu and Cecile de France, and I would like to write about that.

Chris Knipp
11-18-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm glad the excellent Bug got the Fipresci prize. As you'll see I've written about it on the site now, but I haven't had the time or energy to do Drama/Mex; I still hope to, some time later if I don't get too distracted when I get home.