PDA

View Full Version : Tales of the Four Seasons by Eric Rohmer

Howard Schumann
07-31-2006, 10:31 AM
TALES OF THE FOUR SEASONS

Films directed by Eric Rohmer (1990-1998)

Although each film can stand alone, Eric Rohmer, like an expressionist painter, is an artist whose work can be best appreciated as pictures in a larger exhibition. His latest series of films (Six Moral Tales, Comedies and Proverbs) called Tales of Four Seasons according to Rohmer, "focus on attractive, intelligent, self-absorbed if not entirely self-aware young women who present their dilemmas with clarity and elegance and express their feelings in inspired and witty dialogue." While the majority of his films examine the romantic dilemmas of younger women, his final film in the cycle, An Autumn Tale focuses on the desires of more mature women.

Rohmer has been described as an existential filmmaker yet the films in the Four Seasons series seem closer to idealism or what some might call magic realism. Whether or not Rohmer entertains the notion that we create our own reality (being a Catholic I would guess that he does not), his characters act as if they do. Their world, though highly structured, is full of subjectivity, a world in which they are aware that they shape their own destiny. Like Mathilde in Jeunet's A Very Long Engagement, Felicie in A Tale of Winter trusts the universe that things will work out. She is not passive but simply knows that through the power of her intention, she will find her missing lover. Her action of returning to Paris is triggered by an epiphany inside a cathedral, in which she says, "I didn't think. I saw. I saw my thoughts."

Rohmer's women see beyond the limitations of the "real" world and know that miracles are possible. While A Tale of Springtime and An Autumn Tale have to do with matchmaking, the matchmakers know that all they have to do is initiate an action and the rest will lovingly take care of itself. They refuse to "settle" for what is comfortable but know that there is an ideal love that they can "create". The journey of the Four Seasons is both an outer one, reflecting the magnificent French countryside as it changes from season to season and an inner one, mirroring the power of possibility. Out of a desire to end a nagging dissatisfaction with the ordinariness of their lives, they are willing to take risks and the series leaves us with the glow not only of the seasonal light of the natural world but with the inner sense of natural knowing.

A TALE OF SPRINGTIME (Conte de Printemps)

Directed by Eric Rohmer (1990)

Jeanne, a charming woman in her thirties, meets Natasha, a college student at a party and they strike up an unlikely friendship Bored with the party, they return to Natasha's apartment in Paris where her father's frequent absence allows her to invite Jeanne to stay for a week. While some thoughts may run to deviance or intrigue, A Tale of Springtime is Eric Rohmer territory and that means sparkling conversation, complex characters, and a slowly unfolding plot in which everyone discovers something new about themselves. Springtime is the first of Rohmer's Four Seasons series and, while we may not always be sure where we are going, we are always sure that there is an artist in firm control.

Both Jeanne and Natasha are smart and well spoken but each seems vaguely dissatisfied with their life. Jeanne (Anne Teyssedre), a philosophy teacher in high school, has lent her apartment to her cousin but refuses to stay at her boyfriend's place because of his inclination toward disorder and cannot quite come to terms with the question of whether or not she is in love with him. Natasha (Florence Darel) is a very talented pianist with romance and matchmaking on her mind; however, she is resentful of her divorced father's girlfriend Eve (Eloise Bennett), and has some serious thoughts about lining her father Igor (Hugues Quester) up with Jeanne.

Outwardly sweet but inwardly manipulative, Natasha suspects that Eve has stolen a family necklace that her father promised to her and tells the story to Jeanne, hoping to turn the teacher against her father's lover. When Igor shows up for a rare family dinner, all four participate in a philosophical conversation that leads to a clash of personalities. Each tries to impress the other with their knowledge and engage in some banter about Kantian philosophy, and it is easy to get lost among all the priori's and the posteriori's. The scene, however, is not really about philosophy but about how each character is revealed through their reactions and responses. Igor and Jeanne are attracted to each other but are leery of being manipulated. They cannot really be with each other because of that little voice chattering away in the back of their minds telling them to be cautious. As Jeanne says, "I spend too much time thinking about thought".

Unlike most Rohmer works, music is very much a part of this film, and the use of Beethoven's lilting Spring Sonata provides just the right touch. Though not on the top rung of Rohmer's films, A Tale of Springtime is a wonderfully entertaining way to spend two hours. It stands as a perfect example of how our considerations can sometimes get in the way of our aliveness and true self-interest. Characteristic of Rohmer, while each character is flawed and a bit lacking in self-awareness, they are very human and we identify their foibles as our own. By the end of the film, they have become a part of our lives.

GRADE B+

A TALE OF WINTER (Conte d'hiver)

Directed by Eric Rohmer (1992)

Felicie (Charlotte Véry), another of Eric Rohmer's attractive, smart, but terminally indecisive women is still feeling the effects of the abrupt end to her summer romance five years ago. Having mistakenly given her lover Charles (Frédéric van den Driessche) the wrong address as he was leaving for the U.S., she cannot really love other men and holds onto a strong belief that Charles will one day show up and all will be right with the world. Eric Rohmer's second film in his Four Seasons series, A Tale of Winter, is one of his most engaging romances, a film that like the Shakespeare play of the same name, postulates that passion and strong intention can lead to totally unexpected results.

The opening sequence shows Charles and Felicie enjoying the sun, making love, then parting at the end of their vacation. The scene then shifts to Christmas in Paris five years later. Elise (Ava Lorachi), the daughter she had with Charles is now four years old and has seen her father only through photos. Felicie has two lovers but none suit her. Maxence (Michael Voletti) is a heavy set, not too deep hairdresser who is moving from Paris to Nevers and wants Felicie to come with him. She loves being with him but is not madly in love with him. After first saying no, she agrees to go to Nevers but once there, has yet another change of heart after an epiphany about Charles during a visit to a cathedral and returns to her mother in Paris.

Felicie's other suitor, Loic (Hervé Furic), is a bookish librarian who is obviously crazy about her but whom she just wants as a friend. He is a Catholic intellectual and Felicie is more free-spirited and they engage in typical Rohmerian exchanges about Christianity, reincarnation and the nature of the soul. A new awareness opens up when she visits the theater with Loic to see Shakespeare's A Winter's Tale. When she sees King Leontes bring a statue of his wife to life after being told, ''It is required that you do awake your faith'', her own ability to "awake her faith" is evoked and leads to one of Rohmer's more upbeat and satisfying conclusions.

GRADE A-

A TALE OF SUMMER (Conte d'ete)

Directed by Eric Rohmer (1996)

Previously posted on FilmLeaf

AN AUTUMN TALE (Conte d'automne)

Directed by Eric Rohmer (1998)

It is autumn in the Rhone valley and grapes are being harvested. Magali (Beatrice Romand), the owner of a small vineyard inherited from her parents, lives alone and attends to her vineyard with the same care she gives to her frizzy black hair. She tells her best friend Isabelle (Marie Riviére), a librarian, that she has no interest in meeting men. "At my age," she says, "it's easier to find buried treasure." Isabelle, however, has her own ideas on the subject and takes out an ad in the local paper to find a suitable partner for her friend. Winner of won the award for Best Screenplay at the Venice Film Festival, Eric Rohmer's An Autumn Tale, the final film in his Four Seasons series, is about matchmaking but this time it is about the need for companionship of older women with grown children.

Like many Rohmer films, a complex web of events and relationships arise from seemingly simple acts of friendship. Isabelle meets Gérald (Alain Libolt), a courteous and laid back salesman through her ad and goes to lunch with him a few times enjoying the idea that she can be still be seductive. After toying with the notion of keeping him for herself, she finally confesses that she is happily married and the whole seduction routine was simply a ploy to introduce him to her best friend Magali. The situation becomes further complicated by the desires of Rosine (Alexia Portal), her son Leo's (Stephane Damon) girlfriend, to set her up with her ex boyfriend Etienne (Diedier Sandre) a philosophy teacher with a penchant for younger women.

Unaware of the others matchmaking efforts, in a true Shakespearean twist, both Gerard and Etienne are invited to the wedding reception for Isabelle's daughter Emilia (Arelia Alcais) and the way it works itself out is delightful to observe. None of this of course unfolds according to plan but the beauty of the film is not the plot but the gradual development of complex three-dimensional characters through typically Rohmerian intelligent and witty dialogue. An Autumn Tale, though it contains some fanciful romantic intrigue, unfolds in a spirit of playful adventure, without guile or mean-spiritedness. Like the conclusion of Lindsay Anderson's O Lucky Man, we smile for no reason and Rohmer leaves us with a dance of joy and a final song: "If life is a journey, we hope your weather's fair, wild flowers are green and blue, travel safely, all of you".

GRADE: A

Chris Knipp
07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm so glad that you're going back and commenting on Rohmer's films. For me they they seem almost ageless, and I never seem to tire of them. As we've discussed before, his people are self-centrered and frivolous and often "terminally" indecisive (even the ones in his earlier films were), but they're also charming, intelligent, and articulate, and their problems are ones that we have all encountered at one time or another in our lives. Your opening quote from Rohmer saying that he latest series "focus on attractive, intelligent, self-absorbed if not entirely self-aware young women who present their dilemmas with clarity and elegance and express their feelings in inspired and witty dialogue," shows that he knows exactly what he's doing. The comparisons to Shakespeare are interesting -- and to his late plays, obviously there is an analogy with Rohmer's late work which this has to be, since he's about 86 now -- and still working. That comparison is something really worth thinking about. Thank you.

Howard Schumann
07-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Chris Knipp
I'm so glad that you're going back and commenting on Rohmer's films. For me they they seem almost ageless, and I never seem to tire of them. As we've discussed before, his people are self-centrered and frivolous and often "terminally" indecisive (even the ones in his earlier films were), but they're also charming, intelligent, and articulate, and their problems are ones that we have all encountered at one time or another in our lives. Your opening quote from Rohmer saying that he latest series "focus on attractive, intelligent, self-absorbed if not entirely self-aware young women who present their dilemmas with clarity and elegance and express their feelings in inspired and witty dialogue," shows that he knows exactly what he's doing. The comparisons to Shakespeare are interesting -- and to his late plays, obviously there is an analogy with Rohmer's late work which this has to be, since he's about 86 now -- and still working. That comparison is something really worth thinking about. Thank you. I did get a Shakespearean feel from the way all parties came together to work things out in An Autumn Tale. That reminded me of Twelfth Night and also of Bergman's Smiles of a Summer Night. I especially enjoyed these last films I've seen by Rohmer because, unlike some other director we've talked about recently, he hasn't built luck and chance into an all encompassing philosophy but can see the power of each individual to alter the circumstances of their life.