PDA

View Full Version : Don't Bother, really - MI:III

cinemabon
05-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Roller Coaster

The first amusement park ride has been launched for the summer, and this year’s spearhead is MI: III, otherwise known as Mission Impossible Three. While Mr. Cruise and company are competent actors capable of emoting, the story is just plain silly, and the plot even sillier: an evil man, dealing in arms, is about to deliver the ultimate weapon to the terrorists (the McGauffin). Tom’s mission is about stopping the villain and finding the mole in the organization. If it sounds vaguely familiar, then, by golly, you’d be absolutely correct!

The reason we go to these (Look Out! X-Men III and Pirates II are coming! They’re breeding like rats!) is not because they are good or even interesting movies. We go because we stand in line at the amusement park for the same thing, a thrill ride. We marvel at the stunts and hold our breath to see if our hero will make it, only to find out the whole thing is fixed for a happy ending from the start. Darn! I was hoping for a horrible death, too bad.

Mr. Cruise is the first out of the chute with more junk to follow. This reviewer won’t bore you with the details, only to say, I’ll see you at that snaking line going back and forth. I secretly like the thrill ride. I know it isn’t good for me, like too much chocolate, but oh, what the hell…

Johann
05-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Ebert gave it two and a half stars, mentioning in his review that he's at a point where he doesn't care anymore, been there, done that.

I see you agree.

oscar jubis
05-05-2006, 02:24 PM
There's not a whole lot new that I haven't seen besides MI-3 and the "Weinstein-cut" of Chen Kaige's The Promise (I'm boycotting it in favor of the cheap, import dvd with the original, half-hour longer original cut). So, I'm heeding your advice and staying home this weekend. There's also a Mexican-Indie playing called Toro Negro (Black Bull) but it doesn't inspire confidence. I'll probably check out Poseidon though. I think it's next week.

Johann
05-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Sunday is gonna be a real treat for me:
Amadeus: The Director's Cut is showing at the Bytowne.

This is in my top ten of all-time favorite films.

HorseradishTree
05-05-2006, 05:01 PM
While that does sound like a prize, I've got Strangelove playing at a local cinema tomorrow. Screw prom! My date is Peter Sellers!