PDA

View Full Version : Don't Come Knocking (2005) (Germany)

hengcs
11-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Director: Wim Wenders
Cast: Sam Shepard, Jessica Lange, Tim Roth, Gabriel Mann, Sarah Polley

The official website ...
see
http://www.dontcomeknocking.com/
or
http://www.sonyclassics.com/dontcomeknocking/

The film made its debut at Cannes Film Festival 2005.
Noteworthy, the entire film is in English.
;)

My thoughts:
-- Without reading any synopsis, I thought the film moves kind of leisurely for the first half an hour or so, but soon the audience will start figuring out where the story is heading ... and for the rest of the film, I credit the film for describing human relationships very well ... it is often "complex", "complicated", and "confusing" (i.e., for the characters) ...
-- I also like the Western feel of the film and in particular, the song, "Lonely Man" ... wow ...
Noteworthy, Earl (i.e., Gabriel Mann) does his own vocals! ... wow ...
-- The cinematography is nice, and a few of the transitions between scenes are memorable ...

-- Interestingly, the title of the film "Don't Come Knocking" is very apt with several levels of meaning ...
... the film will zoom in onto a sign in the protagonist's trailer that reads "Don't Come Knockin' ... If The Trailer's Rockin' " (to highlight the protagonist's way of life ... and also, to lay the ground work for where the film is going)
... Don't Come Knocking?! ... a rejection by the son of his father ...
... Don't Come Knocking?! ... one is so happy but yet so sad to see a returning ex lover again ...
... Don't Come Knocking?! ... need a place for solace? a parent has the door always open ...
... Dont' Come Knocking?! ... hey detective, trying too hard to locate the missing star?! ...
... Dont' Come Knocking?! ... hey audience, got a question or two?! ... trying to understand what the film is driving at? ... go figure out ...
:)

What could be better ...
-- I thought the pacing for the first half an hour could pick up a bit ... so that audience will be keen to know what happens next right from the beginning ...

Conclusion:
The last one hour or so is excellent in terms of describing human relationships ... "complex", "complicated", and "confusing" (i.e., for the characters) ...
definitely a watch for those who like drama (as a genre) ...
;)

Chris Knipp
12-13-2005, 01:42 PM
I and a group of friends saw this in Paris when it opened in mid-October and we were all disappointed by it, several of them more so because they were previously greater admirers of Wim Wenders than I was. Wim Wenders, Sam Shepherd, Montana, in Paris! We were all excited about it, and all let down afterward. Of course Sam Shepherd, the main actor, wrote this, and it deals with some of his perennial themes: breakdown of parent-child relations, contrasts among siblings, the alienation and craziness of the American family, Western style. This mixture seems to be recooked to fit with interests of Wenders in the American landscape and Hollywood myths. It's a reunion, and potentially an important one: Shepherd also wrote Wender's much admired Paris, Texas of 21 years ago. But they've both gotten a lot older and some of the edge has gone off. I like you, hengcs, was particularly impressed by Gabriel Mann's song and intensity, though he overacted otherwise. His wild rants and tantrums seemed drawn out and tiresome. Neither Sam Shepherd's nor Jessica Lange's performances were among their best. She's more effective in a briefer similar role role in Jarmusch's Broken Flowers. His plays and performances have had so much more punch in the past.

The movie has a nice look, but its vision of the American West, even where it handsomely evokes the austerity of Edward Hopper and alternates that with contemporary tackiness, ultimately turns out to be pretty conventional. The plot lacks credibility in the conception of Howard (Sam), whose age and the current time setting don't gibe with the chronology of his supposed fame as a western star. Other scenes lack resonance or credibility. It's hard to care very much about Howard ultimately, perhaps because he seems to care so little about himself. Nothing quite comes off and this film seems utterly forgettable. This left me with so little response one way or the other than I didn't even write a review of it at the time. I had almost forgotten it till somebody just brought it up to me again. I don't think it's going to do particularly well critically in the USA when it gets its limited release in mid-March 2006; we'll see. It got some good reviews in Paris upon its October 2005 post-Cannes Festival release, possibly in part from people whose knowledge of English is sketchy enough so that they can project whatever then like into it, and who as French people mythologize the American West, Sam Shepherd, and Wim Wenders in ways I can barely imagine.

Where'd you see this, hengcs?

hengcs
12-18-2005, 04:34 PM
sorry for the delay because i am travelling ... I still am ... ha ha

anyway, i initially thought the film was not getting anyway ... but slowly, i got to like it better only because its characters were not simplistic ... the good mother did lie, the lead did not know what he wanted, the son was lost in reaction, and the ex was just as mixed in emotions, etc ...

as i did not read any synopsis, i did not know what the film was about, so there were a few surprises
e.g.,
* possible very minor spoilers *
-- I did not expect the male singer in the beginning to be the son ... (most audience would only think it was the girl)
-- I did not know one of the ex-s was alive (I thought she was dead ... because of the girl)

technically, the cinematograhy (or transition between scenes) were great and the songs were good ... ;)

overall, i do agree with you that i do not feel much for the lead ... but i do appreciate the situations the supporting roles were in ... e.g., the kids and the ex ...

while i was not crazy over the film, i did think it was above average ... maybe because i like the title (with all its nuances) ... ha ha ha ... as to whether it will be applauded in march, i guess most audience would have to survive past the first hour ... hiaks hiaks ...

where did i watch it?

* drum roll *

singapore theater ...
;)

Chris Knipp
12-18-2005, 07:16 PM
It probably looked really good in Singapore. "Above average" nowadays isn't saying very much, though. I will stick to my view that it's a disappoinment, and largely forgettable.

oscar jubis
12-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by hengcs
as to whether it will be applauded in march, i guess most audience would have to survive past the first hour ... hiaks hiaks ...

The film will be officially a 2006 release in the US, so it doesn't qualify for awards next March. I think the distributors would have released it now if they thought the film had potential for awards.

Chris Knipp
12-18-2005, 08:14 PM
It really hasn't, alas.

hengcs
12-18-2005, 08:26 PM
to me, "above average" just means it is not a waste of my 2 hours or $8 ... hee hee ... by the way, i am not sure a typical singaporean would like it ... based on my peers, most (not all) still prefer plot driven or special effects driven (rather than mood or character driven) movies ... somehow, this film comes across as too artsy or independent ...

regarding awards, i think it is just a matter of taste ... i personally do NOT find it the Best Film of 2005. If I think it is amongst the Best Film, I will write "Highly recommended" (and it implies I do not mind watching a second time) ... but I do think it justifies 1 or 2 nominations (not necessarily a win) in other categories ... e.g., cinematography or song

by the way, it was nominated in several categories in European Film Awards 2005, not in 1 category but several ...
e.g., Best Film, Best Director, Best Cinematographer, and Best Editor
see
http://www.filmwurld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1557

;)

PS: sorry for being terse on my reviews, I usually write less to avoid spoilers, and in part because I am still travelling ... hee hee

Chris Knipp
12-18-2005, 11:32 PM
I didn't say a typical Singaporean would like it; I just said it might look good in SIngapore, mainly to you.

I jut don't see how it would qualify in any category other than perhaps cinematography. Best song would be a stretch.