PDA

View Full Version : Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabit (2005)

wpqx
10-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Well claymation films aren't too common, which makes the few features delivered special events. In fact I don't think a full length claymation film has been made since Nick Park's last, Chicken Run over six years ago. Well Park, and claymation are back, and so are it's two best known characters Wallace and Gromit. Seeing them in mainstream American theaters, I was doubtful how it would play out. I was delighted to find that faith was kept, and not a single thing about the film was "Americanized".

The film got the October release because of it's somewhat comical horror plot, the curse of the were-rabit is basically a giant bunny let loose on the town's vegetable supply. Seeing how they're soon having their annual Giant Vegetable Tournament, this is quite the catastrophe. Lady Tottington (Helena Bonham Carter) is the animal loving host, whose character is just as ugly as one might expect seeing the previous pictures, and therefore certainly Wallace's type. The other "star" of the film is Ralph Fiennes who plays Victor the rabit hunting Lord attempting to marry Tottington.

The dynamic duo are still inventing, Gromit is still the brains of the outfit, and they're earning a living by protecting the town from pests eating vegetables. They do it humanely, so not surprising Totty (as she tells Wallace to call her) takes quite a shine to them. That's as much plot as necessary, but along the way you get some parodies of Frankenstein, King Kong, The Wolf Man, and possibly even a Ben-Hur.

The picture is more entertaining than one might expect. It isn't necessarily a laugh fest, as none of the W and G movies are. It is however entertaining, and there are certainly moments, and if you leave the theater wanting cheese, then you know it got to you.

Grade B +

cinemabon
10-15-2005, 10:32 PM
I have to say I love English wit and humor, dry sherry and all. This film is full of it, wit that is. For having nothing to say (like Snoopy in Peanuts), Gromit is hysterical with his whimsical asides and wanting expressions. The film is a great mix of the age old animated formula invented at Warner Brothers: put something in for the kiddies and the adults (such as Lady Tottington's holding up the melons. Ahem!)

The English more or less poke fun at themselves, being obsessed with gardening and their royalty (bearing a striking resemblence to the current occupants of the palace). I loved the tribute to King Kong at the end, especially in light of its release in just under six weeks.

This film is a must see for fans of comedy, puns, and the double entendre. I would give it an A-.

oscar jubis
11-08-2005, 12:47 PM
The premise is amusing although less is at stake than in Aardman Studios previous Chicken Run. Anyway, I'd take Wallace & Gromit over Charlie and Snoopy anyday. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit's 130,000 hand-positioned frames are packed with visual gags, pop references and puns. Great voice work by Helena Bonham Carter (Corpse Bride) as Lady Campanula Tottington. Fun for everyone.