PDA

View Full Version : Corpse Bride

Johann
09-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Tim Burton's new animated film is outstanding.
Definitely Oscar-worthy- a total cacophony of coffins and creep.
Saw it last night at a preview.

Victor van Dort (voiced by Johnny Depp) is enveloped in a bewildering world where he raises a dead bride from her grave (by saying haunting vows), and she is committed to him. She is voiced by Helena Bonham-Carter.

Emily Watson voices Victoria, the woman Victor should really be with, but he becomes a willing member of the undead and their ilk, and vows to become a dead husband, to leave the real world behind.

The stop-motion animation (exactly like Burton's "Nightmare Before Christmas" and "James and the Giant Peach") is finely and minutely glorious.

His characters' faces are so funny and expressive that I was grinning from ear to ear from begin to end. (Christopher Lee's instantly recognizable voice as the Pastor booms from the speakers). Burton has struck gold with this one- it makes you wanna say "stick to the stop-motion Tim! You are a pioneer!".

The musical numbers are awesome- especially the one with the dancing skeletons. Danny Elfman sings (!) as the lead Skel, and by God, Burton honors Disney's Fantasia or the pink elephants from Dumbo.

He aimed high and he delivered a masterpiece of whimsy and wonder. There seems to be no stopping Burton now and we're all better for it.

The theatre was full of people and everyone went home yapping enthusiastically about this great movie.

Bravo Tim.
Another marvelous gift from your unique mind..

tabuno
09-18-2005, 10:12 AM
I am eager to see this movie, but my wife doesn't want to go. I needed the additional inspired post to keep my faith up. Thanks.

Jeff
10-03-2005, 01:59 PM
I liked some of the designs but didn't enjoy it much. Maybe I'll see it again.

oscar jubis
10-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas is a family favorite, so Chelsea, Dylan and I were eagerly awaiting Burton and Elfman's return to macabre stop-motion puppetry. I can't avoid evaluating Corpse Bride vis a vis the older cult fave. The premise that fuels the plot is at least as flamboyant, if not more so: a milquetoast wanders into a cementery as he practices his wedding vows and accidentally marries a rotting corpse. She takes him underground, where skeletons, ghouls, and zombies lead a happier, more convivial existence than the living. Their colorful, merry realm is an inversion of the gray, stifling world of the living. But what to do about the living bride-to-be who's not at all like her despicable, money-hungry parents?
Corpse Bride is a triumph of production design and voice acting (Burton's paramour Helena Bonham Carter is particularly delightful), and the script is fast and witty. On the other hand, music is an important aspect of the film and Elfman's score provides only a single memorable number (the one with the jazz band and the dancing skeletons Johan mentioned). The brilliant synchronicity of music and visuals, and the wonderful singing and melodies of The Nightmare Before Christmas are sorely missed.

hengcs
10-04-2005, 09:23 PM
It was good but it did not wow me away ...
;)