PDA

View Full Version : Red Eye, Wes Craven

hengcs
08-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Director: Wes Craven
Cast: Rachel McAdams, Cillian Murphy, Brian Cox

Again, I was one of the contributors to help make it to the second in box office this weekend ... Why? because "meta" ratings from IMDB and rottentomatoes seem very good, despite the large number of voters ...

What is commendable ...
-- It is basically a one woman and one man show ...
so, if you like them, great; if you do not, too bad ...
-- The scenes on the plane are rather compelling ...
-- Overall, the pacing is very good ...

What is problematic ...
-- In my humble opinion, the last 30 minutes or so (i.e., starting from getting off the plane, in the airport to the final apartment scene) is really "thriller for thriller" sake ... these scenes are kind of contrived because (without revealing spoilers) there could be other better alternatives/solution/plan of action ...
-- I also have a "minor" qualm about the beginning scenes (i.e., before they board the plane) ... not only are they slightly too long ... they are there basically to "convince" you how incredibly "nice" the female protagonist is ... ok ok ok ... we know ... I get it ... ha ha ha
-- Also, on the plane initially, I feel that the two of them are kind of speaking too normally/loudly such that people around them could have easily overheard them and guess what is happening ...

Conclusion:
Can watch ... the pacing is good ... but I won't give it as high a rating as some critics do ...
;)

PS: Oh yeah, if you know Colby from SURVIVOR (the TV reality show), he does have a minor role ... did you guess it? he acts as a bodyguard ...