PDA

View Full Version : The 40 Year-Old Virgin (2005)

hengcs
08-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Director: Judd Apatow
Cast: Steve Carell, Catherine Keener

Well, I guess I was one of the contributors who help make it to the top box office for this weekend. So, why did I watch it? Because the "meta" ratings from BOTH IMDB and rottentomatoes are very good, despite the large number of voters ...

What is commendable ...
-- Expectedly, the film has some good moralistic lesson ...
-- The jokes are NOT too vile, but rather tastefully done ...
-- The supporting cast are good ... and the film seems "real" ...

What is problematic ...
-- Frankly, I do not think it is that funny or comical ... I think the rest of the audience do not find it that funny or comical too
(i.e., judging by the occasional, rather than continual, laughter; judging by the "type" of laughter as opposed to really hilarious roar ...)

Conclusion:
Well, I guess I set my expectations too high ...
it is just a watchable film (esp. during this weekend) ...
I will not give it as high a rating as some critics do ...

wpqx
09-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Well I found lots of moments in the film funny. Unlike you, I wasn't really feeling any sense of "realism" there. There could have been more accuracy in many things, such as the life of a dork, and at least get some of the action figures right. The point is that in the writing it seemed more of a film where they were certainly laughing at rather than with Andy, which I suppose we were supposed to do as well.

There was comedy, and I didn't really spot a moral lesson. Anyone who thinks the film is perfect or a masterpiece should be fired as a critic, but it is certainly a well made film, and certainly entertaining. Perhaps it is the whole foreign element hegncs that doesn't go over well with you. The theater I was in was quite enjoying it, even though the films been out for over a month now.

arsaib4
11-25-2005, 01:33 AM
I don’t think anyone has called it a "masterpiece" but I’m still very surprised by the high ratings from the likes of Ebert, Foundas, Dargis, Denby, Winter, etc. Forget "realism," most of the humor is sitcom-ish and thus quite predictable. I realize that it’s a broad comedy so we have to take certain things in stride but it wore out its welcome pretty quickly. Paul Rudd and the always wonderful Catherine Keener do their best, though. Perhaps The Wedding Crashers was the way to go.

hengcs
11-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Yup, I agree that "The Wedding Crashers" is the best comedy of the year.
A golden Globe for it?
ha ha ha

arsaib4
11-25-2005, 10:02 PM
If it's that good, then I'm sure it'll get in with the "Best Musical/Comedy" category that they have. The 40 Year-Old Virgin will also make it since it was popular with both critics and the audiences.