PDA

View Full Version : A Moment To Remember (2004) (Korea)

hengcs
05-17-2005, 03:53 PM
hee hee ... given that I am an Asian, I have to admit it is a very Asian melodrama ... (be it Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc)
If you like Asian TV melodrama, you will like the movie ...
;)

Well, it starts off with the typical comedy/humor in courtship ... and it ends with the typical tear jerking romance ...

So, what makes it good?
-- I guess the cast helps to make it believable, and the movie does not waste too much time on any event or episode ... which may drag the plot down ...
-- While the story is not exactly original or novel (at least in Asia), it does have some cryptic/philosophical lines ...
e.g., To forget easily is a gift ...
e.g., I met you when I was forgetful, and I left you when I became forgetful ...
e.g., Forgiveness is about giving your hate just a little room in your heart ...
-- I also like the line/question in the last scene ...
* no spoiler *
e.g., Is this ******?

What may be weak?
-- Since the last half of the movie is grounded on an important event ... the audience have to buy what happens ... that it is indeed plausible albeit uncommon ... if you refuse to believe what happens ... then everything is kind of ridiculous ...
-- Also, due to editing (as opposed to the director's cut), the audience may find a few events not convincing nor well explained ...

Conclusion:
In essence, it is just a simple story that is well told ...
;)

oscar jubis
05-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by hengcs
hee hee ... given that I am an Asian, I have to admit it is a very Asian melodrama ... (be it Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc)

*Can't do any research without at least the director's name.
*Wishing to learn from you regarding the characteristics that identify a melodrama as "very Asian"?
*Was it made to be broadcast on television?

hengcs
05-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by oscar jubis

*Can't do any research without at least the director's name.
*Was it made to be broadcast on television?
*Wishing to learn from you regarding the characteristics that identify a melodrama as "very Asian"?

ha ha ... sorry ...

(1) The director is John H. Lee.

The imdb site is here ...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428870/

The DVD is here ...
http://us.yesasia.com/en/prodRvListPage.aspx?pid=1003977890&section=videos&code=k&

(2) Nope ... it was not made for TV ...

(3) hee hee ... I was trying to be *naughty* ... and also do some stereotyping ... please do NOT take offense if you happen to be a fan of Asian melodrama (cos I am a fan ... ha ha ha) or take anything too seriously ...

It is so difficult to explain, but "when an asian sees one, he or she knows it" ... ha ha ha ...

some stereotypes include
(i) there has to be lots of tears
e.g., people will get terminally ill
e.g., the main protagonist will die
(ii) there has to love/romance
-- it is either an "undying love" that is plagued with obstacles ...
-- or it is an "unrequited love" that will wrench the audience hearts ... i.e., no matter how hard he or she tries, it is useless ...
(iii) it has to have a sad ending (at least "75% of the time) or leave you to infer (i.e., in suspense -- it can go either way) ...
Note: nowadays, the director pre-empt by filming 2 editions of the ending, so that they can poll the audience and decide on a happier or sadder ending ...
(iv) in sum, it usually has everything
-- i.e., drama + romance + family + friends + suspense + etc etc etc

** As another example, my American friend was chuckling that day when he saw this scene ... and he commented it was so Asian (without me even asking or suggesting)
i.e., two lovers (who have fallen out over some misunderstandings but are trying very hard to reconcile) will happen to walk past each other in opposite directions without seeing the other party ... wrenching the audience hearts once again ...

HA HA HA ;PPP

Some recommendations of "recent" TV drama are ...

(1) Korean TV drama

-- Autumn In My Heart ... this Korean drama help pave the way ...
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003286794/section-videos/code-k/version-all/

-- Winter Sonata ... this Korean drama has taken Japan by storm ...
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1001830323/code-k/section-videos/

(2) Japanese TV drama

-- Beautiful Life
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1001810148/code-j/section-videos/

(3) Chinese TV drama

-- most TVB production from HK are good ...
If you want some, I will list them ...
;)

Note: However, Asian TV drama is quite different from US soap opera ... In my very humble opinion, Asian TV drama is often better than the US soap opera
-- in terms of overall plot (e.g., it is tighter and has better pacing)
-- in terms of art direction/scenery (it has more outdoor scenes and choreography)

That is why these TV drama are often shown at primetime,
e.g. Mon to Fri from 8 to 9 pm, or 9 to 10 pm for 20 episodes, 30 episodes, etc.

;)

oscar jubis
05-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Very informative. Thank you.
Some of my fave recent Asian romances are WKW's In The Mood for Love and two films directed by Jin-ho Hur from South Korea: A Fine Spring Day and Christmas in August. I don't think these would qualify as "melodrama" though. These Asian melodramas you describe seem to have a lot in common with the Latino melodramas, mostly made in Mexico. Going back to Jin-ho Hur...I am a huge fan. His films are more melancholic than sad, the pace is slower than melodrama, and there are more wide and long shots. I wonder if you are familiar with this director.