PDA

View Full Version : Monster-In-Law and The Aging Factor

tabuno
05-15-2005, 12:46 AM
I don't really want to go into depth regarding the newly released Monster-In-Law starring Jennifer Lopez and Jane Fonda, except to explore the "aging" factor. Jane Fonda, age 67, portrays a former television host, whose age has become factor in her career. What is remarkable about this romantic comedy is the prominence of the effects of age on the female body and how much of it is shown on screen. This may be one of the most daring explorations of the aging female body on screen in a comedy that I've ever seen. The question that is raised is "how much can a movie, particularly, a comedy be ruined by the revealing or for most of American cultural norms the detraction of the "ugly" elderly female body?" Or is Jane Fonda's performance one of her gutsy attempts to really make the movie audience become less concerned with our looks as we age?

The film industry in particular has been very sensitive to the ideal look on its actors and especially its actresses on screen. "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" change that somewhat. And now we have Monster-In-Law. Is the film industry moving incrementally in a more enlightened direction and will the movie going audience going to accept it or condemn it?