PDA

View Full Version : A REVIEW: Carlos Sorin's "Intimate Stories"

Chris Knipp
04-18-2005, 05:02 PM
[Mentioned by arsaib4 on the Favorite Films 2005 (1st quarter) thread http://www.filmwurld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1273 where he gave it a B, and also by Oscar Jubis on his journal thread.]

CARLOS SORIN: INTIMATE STORIES
(HISTORIAS MINIMAS, 2002)

Little events in Patagonia

Review by Chris Knipp

"Not exactly the most earth-shattering entry from the Argentinean new wave," the Voice's David Ng politely commented when the film debuted recently in New York, three years after release, also noting its "abundant wisdom and patient humanism." True: humanism and patience do go together, and this film is notable for its attentive but unsentimental focus. But since the pace is truly glacial and the conclusions are flat you may want to avoid Intimate Stories -- unless the mere thought of Patagonia raises your blood pressure. You do get by some kind of osmosis a sense of what it's like to be in this remote part of the settled world, with its bare landscapes and long stretches of nothingness reaching up to the sky along a flat horizon. God was in a minimalist period when He created Patagonia.

The distributors sexed up Argentinian Carlos Sorin's modest title "Minimal Stories" by calling them "Intimate," but they're really tiny and evoke film's affinity for the short story. Not a lot really happens here, though we're made to appreciate that in the wastes of Patagonia where the events transpire a little bit goes a long way.

The people in Intimate Stories, only one of whom is a professional actor, seem wonderfully authentic and so do the sometimes seedy, sometimes gemütlich local backgrounds. These include pastry shops, restaurants, a remote compound -- if in Patagonia the word "remote" isn't already redundant -- where men eat drink and play guitars, and the tackiest TV game show you've ever seen (in such a studiously neutral movie the latter sequence seems a tad overdrawn).

There are three threads (ŕ la Amores Perros) involving three people on separate treks from the town of Fitz Roy to the town of San Julián some 200 miles away: an old gent called Justo (Antonio Benedicti) goes hitchhiking to retrieve his lost dog, a young mother (María, Javiera Bravo), has won a sweepstake and must be there to appear on a quiz show where she wins something she can't use, and a lonely traveling salesman (Roberto, Javier Lombardo) drives there delivering a cake to a lady customer whose son or daughter is having a birthday. I hope it's not revealing too much to tell you that when Roberto realizes the child's name, Rene, could be either a girl's or a boy's he has to stop midway to have the cake done over in more gender-neutral style. The luckiest chap is the oldster, who does come home with his pet. And we get to find out why the dog may have run off in the first place. We also learn the salesman's really rather shy and the housewife is, well, perhaps not too smart. There is sadness here, but it is viewed unsentimentally.

The filmmaker's previous work made thirteen years ago, Eversmile, New Jersey starred Daniel Day-Lewis as an itinerant dentist, also in Patagonia, and is said to have vanished almost as soon as it appeared.

(Seen at Cinema Village, New York City, March 24, 2005.)

trevor826
04-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Was it really only 2002, it feels like I have been championing this film for years as a great example of world cinema/foreign films.

I must admit I don't like the name change, Intimate Stories has a touch of the salacious to it whereas Minimal Stories is exactly where this film is, minimal stories about normal people, small moments that don't leave a mark on history but are a pleasure to share. No heroics, no grand adventures, none of the usual hallmarks of the majority of films but that's what makes it special.

Needless to say I love this film and it's one I always recommend to people who are looking for something a little different.

For anyone who has seen and enjoyed this, I would recommend the Armenian film Vodka Lemon which I have come to describe as Historias Minimas on ice with a touch of the surreal, in fact since I can't find any reviews of it on the site, I may well fill the gap.

Cheers Trev.

oscar jubis
04-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Nice film but not something I'd go out of my way to recommend. Historias Minimas evaporated from my memory fairly quickly. Vodka Lemon screens here this weekend. If you haven't opened a thread for it, you'll find my comments on my Journal. Do you prefer one over the other, Trev?

arsaib4
04-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Good review, Chris. I think you're pretty fair all the way through and thanks for mentioning the thread. It is unfortunate, but true, that the film doesn't compare well with some of the other recent Argentinian films.

Trevor: You'll soon realize that we aren't as lucky as you when it comes to foreign cinema. You'll have to adjust to our release dates.

Chris Knipp
04-18-2005, 11:58 PM
It is unfortunate, but true, that the film doesn't compare well with some of the other recent Argentinian films.According to one writer I read, this film has one advantage over oother films from the Argentina New Wave -- that of being less pretentiious than they; but it has the corresponding disavantage of being also less impressive. Thanks for saying I was fair. That is always my main aim. This was difficult because I think there are good things to day about Historias Minimas -- Trevor shows himself to be one of its very definite group of fans -- but ultimately like Oscar I think it rather negligible; one can't recommend everything; so for IMDb I gave it a 6/10.

arsaib4
04-19-2005, 12:35 AM
I'm not sure what the "writer" has in mind as pretentious is perhaps the last word I'd use to describe them, but everyone is entitled to their opinion which hopefully they've made after watching the films for themselves.

I missed the remark Trevor made about Vodka Lemon earlier. It did get an official release last year in the U.S. but no word on the DVD yet, although, I think one is available in the U.K.

trevor826
04-19-2005, 02:10 AM
It's great to be involved with a film forum that is so active, positive (even in disagreement) and knowlegable. Because I see myself as a film fan and not a critic I grab the opportunity to see as much as possible and judge each on it's own merits rather than as part of a movement, if I did compare then Historias Minimas would not come up to say, La Cienaga, Holy Girl, El Bonaerence etc but it is a breath of fresh air for anyone slightly jaded with cinema.

Thank you for all your responses, I am going to enjoy being part of filmwurld.

Arsaib4 I have the UK DVD of Vodka Lemon and hope you all get the chance to see it, Oscar I took a quick look at your journal, couldn't find Vodka Lemon but that's a lot of reading to get through.

Cheers Trev.

Chris Knipp
04-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Trevor, welcome, you obviously see a good range of films and have been all over the site lately which is great. I was afraid a thread on this rather obscure film would get no responses, but am pleased to have been immediately proven quite wrong.

arsaib4, agreed, pretentious is vague and, being pejorative in implication, can put one on the defensive. How about saying that Historial Minimas is more unpretentious than most? More understated, less ambitious, more neutral in its stances? I'd have to leave it there, but I would entertain the notion that something 'pretentious' can also be quite fine nonetheless -- if it lives up to its pretentions!

oscar jubis
04-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by trevor826
Oscar I took a quick look at your journal, couldn't find Vodka Lemon but that's a lot of reading to get through.

I haven't watched it yet. I'll do so during the weekend (a busy one with the Miami Latin festival still going on and our Gay & Lesbian Fest commencing). The site's search engine can help you find titles quicker.

Chris Knipp
04-20-2005, 01:06 AM
I was going to point that out too, about the search engine. This Friday I'll start seeing a few films at the San Francisco Film Festival.

trevor826
04-20-2005, 02:10 AM
I did try the search engine but only came up with this topic and one I'd posted earlier on "Art-house theaters in your area?".

Cheers Trev.