PDA

View Full Version : Svoi (aka Us) (aka Our Own) (2004) (Russia)

hengcs
03-09-2005, 04:40 PM
I am so glad that I finally managed to watch this movie.
I only have one word -- WOW!

Go CATCH the movie!
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it ...
But on a BIG screen ... it does make a difference ...

In Moscow International Film Festival 2004, the movie has garnered the following awards
- Best Film
- Best Director
- Best Actor
Apparently the male actor was also nominated for the Best Actor in European Film Academy Awards.

I do not like to read synopsis, because they usually give the beginnings of the movie away. So, I shan't write a synopsis here.

So, what do I like about the movie?
-- The movie is very consistent about challenging the audience to think about who is US and who is THEM! The director has done it either subtlely (e.g., choice of characters, their vocation/background, etc) or very laudly (e.g., who are we protecting ourselves against? us or them?) The line is often very vague.
-- The ENTIRE cast is commendable, be they lead or supporting.
-- The cinematography is great too, giving the story a tint of old grayish texture.
-- The movie has a very realistic feel, be it the locations, the scenes, the acting, but most importantly, the way people behave! It is a nice movie that portrays human genuinely.
-- Definitely the pacing, it has its fast and slow moments. But regardless of the situation, audience would be eager to know what happen next or how the movie will end.
-- Few if any mention, I definitely like the sountrack and music! oh ... the Russsian music?! ... hee hee
;)