PDA

View Full Version : Wong Kar-Wai and Tran Anh Hung

Howard Schumann
02-14-2005, 09:56 AM
CHUNGKING EXPRESS (Chong qing sen lin)

Directed by Wong Kar-Wai (1994)

"If memories could be canned, would they have an expiration date?" - Cop 223

Hong Kong director Wong Kar-Wai's Chungking Express is a breathless tour de force that will leave you feeling exhilarated. Shot in the Kwaloon section of Hong Kong with a hand-held camera using impressionistic images, jump cuts, and stop-action camerawork, Wong vividly captures the kinetic energy of the city - its people, music, fast food cafes, and nightlife. Chungking Express is a quirky romantic comedy about chance encounters, lost opportunities, and the loneliness of city life where people never seem to communicate with each other directly. The film consists of two loosely connected stories involving different cops who have just broken up with their girlfriends. In the first sequence, most of the action takes place at a fast food stand called Chungking Express and little police-related activity is shown except for some choreographed shootouts.

He Zhiwu, Cop 223 (Takeshi Kaneshiro) tells himself at the beginning of April that he will wait thirty days for his girlfriend May to come back to him before seeking another relationship. In mourning, he eats only from cans that have an expiration date of May 1st, his birthday. On May 1st, he eats thirty cans of pineapple (her favorite food) and jogs so "there will be no water left for tears" but it doesn't bring May back. His only connection is with a sturdy blonde played by veteran actress Brigitte Lin wearing a platinum blond wig. Unknown to him, she is a heroin smuggler on the run after a failed drug deal. They meet and go to his apartment but she simply passes out and he decides to move on. In the second episode, another lovelorn cop known only as Cop 633 (Tony Leung Chiu Wai) is in love with a stewardess and buys her a Chefs Salad from the same food stand every day.

When she dumps him after he brings her fish and chips, he becomes interested in Faye (Faye Wong), an endearingly goofy counter girl who works for her cousin at the same snack bar. Faye develops a crush on him and sneaks into his apartment when he's not there, rearranging his furniture, removing traces of his old girlfriend, decorating and cleaning while dancing around the house to the music of the Mamas and the Papas. Their relationship has a playful quality to it though they both maintain their distance. After she reappears after having been away for one year, she asks him where he wants to go and he replies "Wherever you want to take me". Chungking Express will take you wherever you want to go and it is a giddy ride -- full of style, substance, and self-reflective humor. In the hands of Wong Kar-Wai, alienation never seemed as much fun.

GRADE: A

VERTICAL RAY OF THE SUN (Mua he chieu thang dung)

Directed by Tran Anh Hung (2000)

In Tran Anh Hung's lovely tone poem The Vertical Ray of the Sun, three sisters Lien (Tran Nu Yên-Khê), Suong (Nhu Quynh Nguyen), and Khanh (Le Lhanh) on the eve of memorial dinners for their departed parents reveal previously hidden details to each other about their marital infidelity. It is the end of summer in Hanoi and the atmosphere is languid. These are not the mean streets of Saigon in Tran's Cyclo but the elegant abode of Hanoi's artists and intellectuals, devoid of urban decay, intimately bathed in color and pastoral beauty. The opening scene sets the mood. The youngest sister, 19-year old Lien slowly awakens in the apartment she shares with her brother Hai (Quang Hai Ngo). As Hai does push-ups, lien stretches, her graceful Tai Chi movements beautifully choreographed to the rhythm of The Velvet Underground.

They joke about the fact that outsiders see them as a couple as they walk hand-in-hand through the markets, but Lien does nothing to discourage this perception and is shown crawling into bed with her brother each night. The sisters operate a café and the conversation is as steamy as is the food they are preparing for the annual memorial dinner for their departed mother. Cinematographer Mark Lee Ping-Bin who filmed Flowers of Shanghai and In the Mood for Love washes the scene in a glow of different shades of green as they joke and tell stories about their longing to fry the male anatomy in garlic. The discussion veers to a discussion of their mother's possible infidelity with a fellow student but they are reluctant to admit that their parent's relationship may have been less than ideal.

Gradually we also learn about the sisters' marital problems. Suong is married to Quoc (Chu Hung), a botanical photographer. Since they had a miscarriage four years prior, he has had a secret life with another woman in the remote Bay of Halong. In one meditative scene in a boat with an old fisherman, Quoc sums up the meaning of the film, "One should live where one's soul is in harmony, where it is in accord with its surroundings". When he is away on trips visiting his second family, Suong carries on an affair with Tuan (Le Tuen Anh) out of a need to feel loved and wanted. Khanh's husband is Kien (Tran Manh Cuong), a writer who is working on finishing his first novel.

After finding out that his wife is pregnant, he almost betrays her in a Saigon hotel, but remains faithful. Lien, meanwhile, naïve about sexuality, has a boyfriend and thinks she is pregnant simply because she had sex one time. The family deals with these problems together, viewing them as an opportunity for forgiveness and growth rather than confrontation. Vertical Ray of the Sun is a sensual experience that unfolds in its own time, a pace geared to an Asian timetable not a Western one. It is a film of ineffable beauty but can be confusing on first viewing with multiple characters, frequent jump cuts, and time discontinuity.

Individual scenes stand out in memory: Khanh singing a traditional Vietnamese song alone in the garden and Kien's loving discovery of her secret (how gratifying it is to see a romantic scene between married couples); Lien's slow dance in her apartment to The Velvet Underground, her long black hair glistening in the sun; and Lien's playful seduction of Hai interrupted by his request for boiled sweet potatoes. Though concerned with extramarital affairs, the film is not about infidelity but the intrusive effects of modern society on Asian family life. In Vertical Ray of the Sun, he has created an antidote -- an aesthetic picture of a Vietnam unsullied by the memory of war, a culture of nature and tradition, encompassing the Buddhist value of compassion and the Confucian ideal of harmony. It may exist, however, only in his vision.

GRADE: A-

silverheart
02-14-2005, 05:37 PM
I haven't seen VERTICAL RAY OF THE SUN but I pretty much adore Wong Kar Wai and I loved Chungking Express and it actually got me addicted to "California Dreaming ". =)

xx

Howard Schumann
02-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by silverheart
I haven't seen VERTICAL RAY OF THE SUN but I pretty much adore Wong Kar Wai and I loved Chungking Express and it actually got me addicted to "California Dreaming ". =)

xx Thanks for commenting. California Dreaming is ok but after the eight time, I would have rather heard something else. It's still a wonderful film.

arsaib4
02-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Good reviews, Howard. I still consider Chungking Express WKW's best film; it certainly is his most dense, narratively complex work although I haven't seen 2046 yet. Did you just see these films?

Howard Schumann
02-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by arsaib4
Good reviews, Howard. I still consider Chungking Express WKW's best film; it certainly is his most dense, narratively complex work although I haven't seen 2046 yet. Did you just see these films? Yes I saw them last week. Normally, I don't save my reviews. I just watch a film then write about it, then try to share it. Thanks for your kind remarks.

Chris Knipp
02-19-2005, 05:41 PM
I urge everyone if possible to see the new 35 mm. print of Days of Being Wild, now some 14 years later finally given general release in the US, and which I may prefer as purer and more hauntingly beautiful both visually and emotionally, though Chungking Express is charming and was what put Wong on the map in this country through Tarantino's Rolling Thunder reissue. I think it's J.Hoberman who wrote Days of Being Wild was when Wong Kar Wai first became Wong Kar Wai. It also stars an important film actor who still looked very young then, and is now no longer with us--Leslie Cheung, who committed suicide in 2003. It's also got Maggie Cheung and Andy Lau in it; but Wong's films normally have a bevy of big stars.

As for the repeated pop song, that's a Wong trademark, though it may be more grating in Chungking Express than in Days of Being Wild or Happy Days or In the Mood for Love, I don't know. Days of Being Wild has the cute little plays with dates for romantic effect too, as does CKE. What's less known than these seems to be As Tears Go By, which needs a revival. If you "adore" Wong, as I do too, you can't pass up any of his mature works.

Howard Schumann
02-19-2005, 06:36 PM
There's a new DVD release of Days of Being Wild here in Canada but I have seen no theatrical release mentioned. I may rent it next week.

Chris Knipp
02-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Well, you could, maybe it will be the new print with good subtitles, and you can see it onscreen later if it comes. Have you watched Fallen Angels yet? What about Ashes of Time and As Tears Go By?

oscar jubis
02-19-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm hard pressed to come up with a director working consistently at such high level. I've seen all his feature films. Ashes of Time, 2046, Days of Being Wild and In The Mood for Love are my favorites. But I would have difficulty presenting evidence that these are better than the rest, including Chungking Express_basically a throw-away quickie shot during a break in the post-production of Ashes of Time.

Chris Knipp
02-20-2005, 01:19 PM
I would agree that you have to see all of them; there are differences, but no 'best.' I haven't seen 2046 yet. What's the best way to get it, Oscar? -- you always seem to know.

oscar jubis
02-20-2005, 03:05 PM
There are at least two different Asian releases (of 2046) available on the web. If you want one shipped to your home, just let me know (it's available on NTSC all region so no prob). I still have hope for theatrical distribution. Wong has a segment called "The Hand" in the 3-part anthology Eros which is coming to US theatres real soon. I let an Argentine critic named Socorro, whom I met at the fest, borrow my copy. Who knows when or if I'll get it back.

trevor826
04-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Howard, I'm sure I've already thanked you for your review of VERTICAL RAY OF THE SUN (Mua he chieu thang dung) one of my favourite films, the problem is sometimes your reviews are so good they leave little room for further comment. A case in point is your review of XIAO WU which I read on IMDB.

With Wong Kar Wai I can never decide if CHUNKING EXPRESS or IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE is my favourite, depends on my mood I suppose but again another excellent review, if I hadn't seen and didn't already own both films on DVD, I would definitely make the effort to find them.

Cheers Trev.

Howard Schumann
04-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by trevor826
Howard, I'm sure I've already thanked you for your review of VERTICAL RAY OF THE SUN (Mua he chieu thang dung) one of my favourite films, the problem is sometimes your reviews are so good they leave little room for further comment. A case in point is your review of XIAO WU which I read on IMDB.

With Wong Kar Wai I can never decide if CHUNKING EXPRESS or IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE is my favourite, depends on my mood I suppose but again another excellent review, if I hadn't seen and didn't already own both films on DVD, I would definitely make the effort to find them.

Cheers Trev. Thanks again. You are very kind. I just saw 2046 and don't know quite what to make of it. My first impression that it is over stylized with not too much to say but I may have to see it again.

Chris Knipp
04-20-2005, 02:25 PM
"Over stylized with not too much to say" would have to be applied to all of Wong's oeuvre, but I happen to be a great fan and couldn't possibly pick a favorite, though my most recent favorites are Days of Being Wild seen in the new print with new better subtitles at Film Forum in January -- amazing and looking even better than it did when it came out -- and 2046, which I got a DVD of and have watched a number of times. It may take some time to digest, and I find that except for maybe As Tears Go By, they profit from endless viewings and never grow stale. There are several books on Wong, one just on Happy Days which I found too academic and STephen Teo's World Directors series Wong Kar Wai which seems quite useful, if you want to read descriptions and interpretations of his varous movies.

Howard Schumann
04-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Chris Knipp
"Over stylized with not too much to say" would have to be applied to all of Wong's oeuvre, but I happen to be a great fan and couldn't possibly pick a favorite, though my most recent favorites are Days of Being Wild seen in the new print with new better subtitles at Film Forum in January -- amazing and looking even better than it did when it came out -- and 2046, which I got a DVD of and have watched a number of times. It may take some time to digest, and I find that except for maybe As Tears Go By, they profit from endless viewings and never grow stale. There are several books on Wong, one just on Happy Days which I found too academic and STephen Teo's World Directors series Wong Kar Wai which seems quite useful, if you want to read descriptions and interpretations of his varous movies. Thanks for the insights. I am still digesting the film 2046 and will have to perhaps see it again before I can write on it. (or maybe not)

Chris Knipp
04-20-2005, 03:01 PM
As you know, I like to write about films that are in theaters or about to come to them, so I'm waiting for that for 2046. I'm not implying it doesn't 'mean' anything, but I can understand your finding it seems to have 'not much to say,' though nevertheless I'd think it has as much to 'say' as In the Mood for Love, and given the accumulated 'meanings' of Wong's work over time, in a sense it embodies more of them in being the sort of 'culmination' of his Sixties romance sequence.

Howard Schumann
04-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Chris Knipp
As you know, I like to write about films that are in theaters or about to come to them, so I'm waiting for that for 2046. I'm not implying it doesn't 'mean' anything, but I can understand your finding it seems to have 'not much to say,' though nevertheless I'd think it has as much to 'say' as In the Mood for Love, and given the accumulated 'meanings' of Wong's work over time, in a sense it embodies more of them in being the sort of 'culmination' of his Sixties romance sequence. Well, I'd like to hear what you will have to say about 2046. I wasn't a big fan of In The Mood For Love so any carry over won't weigh too heavily with me. I will give it a fair shot however as I do every film I review.

Chris Knipp
04-21-2005, 12:03 AM
There is a thematic carry-over from In a Mood for Love, but that one is not my favorite either. I prefer Days of Being Wild, Fallen Angels, Chungking Express, Ashes of Time, Happy Days...2046 also relates thematically to Days of Being Wild, I believe.

oscar jubis
04-21-2005, 06:43 AM
Check out this analysis of 2046 by Stephen Teo, author of a book on WKW published by the British Film Institute: www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/05/35/2046.html

Howard Schumann
04-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by oscar jubis
Check out this analysis of 2046 by Stephen Teo, author of a book on WKW published by the British Film Institute: www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/05/35/2046.html Thanks very much.

Chris Knipp
04-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I already mentioned Teo's book on the previous page, you know, and it has a whole chapter on 2046 with a more extended discussion or it. Teo's good, I think but he tells you almost too much here in this Web piece. I'd recommend in this case to see the movie before you commit this to memory.