PDA

View Full Version : 77th Academy Awards predictions

cinemabon
01-12-2005, 05:40 PM
An Oscar prediction – for the 2004, 77th Academy Awards

Best Picture of the Year : The big toss up – as of right now in January, the Hollywood buzz is strong for two pictures. The first is “The Aviator.” It takes place in Hollywood, and many members of the Academy actually remember Howard Hughes as well as Katie Hepburn. The second is “Sideways,” which takes place in California around many of the areas owned by the Hollywood elite. These two films are neck and neck right now. Between now and the end of February, things may change. Also "Ray" "Million Dollar Baby" "Finding Neverland" and possibly a dark horse.

Best Director: I believe Marty is a shoe-in for two reasons. One, he has a strong entry that is generally well liked this year. Two, I believe he will get the coveted Director’s Guild Award and the Golden Globe. If he does, he’ll finally take home the gold. Other strong contenders might include Clint for “MD Baby”; Marc Forster for “Finding Neverland”; Taylor Hackford for “Ray”; Alexander Payne for “Sideways”

Best Actor: There are so many choices in some great films, but the strongest contenders are Jamie Foxx for “Ray” (who may cancel himself out is he is also nominated in supporting for “Collateral”), Johnny Depp for “Finding Neverland” and Paul Giamatti for “Sideways”

Best Actress: This is the toughest choice of all. This year brought some great performances by some strong contenders. Although I know she won’t be nominated, I thought one of the strongest performances was by Catalina Sandino Moreno in “Maria Full of Grace.” The crowded field contains great performances this year by… Kate Winslet in “Finding Neverland”; Virginia Madsen in “Sideways”; Cate Blanchett in “The Aviator”; Julie Delpy in “Before Sunset”; Hilary Swank in “Million Dollar Baby”

I never try to predict Supporting catagories. They are so numerous that it’s just impossible for me.

Best Foreign Film: Two of the strongest contenders are “Strayed” (France) and “Blind Shaft” (China)

Best Documentary: Two strong contenders are “Touching the Void” and of course, “Fahrenheit 9/11” (with Moore pushing hard in Hollywood right now for a Best Pix nod, he may push himself right off the nomination list… but I doubt it. Hollywood finds it difficult to argue with talent, and Moore has it in spades)

Best Screenplay: Again, a very confusing category because I’m not certain which are adaptations of books and which are original. I know many of the movies I’ve mentioned deserve nomination in this category. I’m just too lazy to do that much research. I like “Sideways” because the script was just too damn original whether adapted or not.

Costume, Set Decoration and Set Design: This is where a film like “The Passion” could be nominated if the Academy isn’t fuming too much with Gibson. However, there will be competition from the likes of Stone’s “Alexander” and Peterson’s “Troy” because technical catagories are nominated by branches. Many members worked on the ‘epic’ films, but Gibson used mostly non-voting Italians on his, something the technical branch will remember. He could be shut out.

Sound, Visual Effects : ditto to the above category. Add “Spiderman II” to this mix. It was well liked by critics and the voting members.

Animation: There is only one film in this category that was a standout this year, “The Incredibles.” No matter how many people may have liked “Polar Express,” I believe “Incredibles” will take this category easily

Score: There were a few stand-outs here, too. James Horner for “Troy”; Jan A. P. Kaczmarek for “Finding Neverland”; Vangelis for “Alexander”; Howard Shore for “The Aviator” (although Shore has won two of the last three, it’s still a fine score); Carter Burwell for “Kinsey”; Clint Eastwood for “Million Dollar Baby” The Academy likes largest orchestras that employ many members. Look for an epic pix to take this one.

The best of luck to all the nominees. See you all Sunday, February 27th along with that wild man, Chris Rock, for what will surely be a memorable evening the first time he lets “fuck” slip past the censors.

hengcs
01-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by cinemabon
Best Picture of the Year : “The Aviator”, “Sideways”, "Ray", "Million Dollar Baby", "Finding Neverland" ...
Best Director: ...
Best Actor: ...
Best Actress: This is the toughest choice of all. ...
Best Foreign Film: Two of the strongest contenders are “Strayed” (France) and “Blind Shaft” (China) ...
Costume, Set Decoration and Set Design: “The Passion”, “Alexander”, “Troy”, ...
Animation: “The Incredibles.” ...

This is my 1 cent worth ...
;)

Best Picture
1. Million Dollar Baby -- will win
2. The Aviator -- may win
3. Finding Neverland
4. Sideways
5. Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind

There is a chance for Hotel Rwanda to be in too ...
Frankly, I hope Sideways do NOT win. I only admit that the CAST and SCRIPT are very good. But it is NOT the best film. As I have mentioned in another thread, friends from overseas will be like "huh?" "what?" "eh?!"

Best Director
1. Martin Scorsese (The Aviator) -- will win
2. Clint Eastwood (Million Dollar Baby) -- may win
3. Alexander Payne (Sideways)
4. Mark Forster (Finding Neverland)
5. Michael Gondry (Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind)

There may be a slim chance for Zhang Yimou (House of Flying Daggers) or Mel Gibson (Passion of the Christ).

Best Actor
I think this category and Best Supporting Actor are the toughest this year.

1. Leonardo DiCaprio (The Aviator) -- either him or Jamie
2. Jamie Foxx (Ray) -- either him or Leonardo
3. Paul Giamatti (Sideways) -- may win
4. Johnny Depp (Finding Neverland)
5. Don Cheadle (Hotel Rwanda)

There may be a chance for Liam Neeson (Kinsey), Kevin Bacon (The Woodsman), or Clint Eastwood (Million Dollar Baby)

Best Actress
I actually think that this is less tough than the Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor this year. ;) Hmmm ... how can you miss out Imelda Staunton (Vera Drake)? I also think that Cate and Virginia might be in the supporting category. Anyway, my picks are:

1. Imelda Staunton (Vera Drake) -- shld win
2. Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby) -- will win
3. Kate Winslet (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)
4. Catalina Sandino Moreno (Maria Full of Grace)
5. Annette Bening (Being Julia)

Best Supporting Actor
1. Clive Owen (Closer) -- shld win
2. Thomas Hayden Church (Sideways) -- will win
3. Freddie Highmore (Finding Neverland)
4. Morgan Freeman (Million Dollar Baby)
5. Alan Alda (The Aviator)

Although I prefer Alan Alda over Jamie Foxx (Collateral) or Peter Sarsgaard (Kinsey), Jamie may get nominated. I just think Jamie has TOO MUCH contorted expressions in Collateral. Likewise, Peter may get nominated instead.

Best Supporting Actress
1. Laura Linney (Kinsey) -- may win
2. Cate Blachett (The Aviator) -- either she or Virginia
3. Virginia Madsen (Sideways) -- either she or Cate
4. Jodie Foster (A Very Long Engagement)
5. Natalie Portman (Closer)

Best Foreign Film
France did not submit Strayed and I think Taiwan submitted Blind Shaft last year. The likely contenders are

1. The Sea Inside (Spain) -- either this or House
2. House of Flying Daggers (China) -- either this or Sea
3. Downfall (Germany)
4. Les Choristes (France)
5. Innocent Voices (Mexico)

There might be a chance for Turtles Can Fly (Iran) or Taegukgi (Korea)

Best Costume, Best Sets, etc
I actually think these categories are VERY competitive this year, with

1. "The Aviator"
2. "House of Flying Daggers"
3. "Phantom of the Opera"
4. "Finding Neverland"
etc.

There might be some chances for "Vanity Fair", "Being Julia", etc

Best Make Up
As above, but might include Lemony's etc.

Best Cinematography (and Best Art Direction)
This category is VERY competitive too.

1. House of Flying Daggers (Cinematography and Art Direction)
2. The Aviator (Cinematography and Art Direction)
3. A Very Long Engagement (Cinematography and Art Direction)
4. Passion of the Christ (Cinematography and Art Direction)

5. Collateral (more for Cinematography)
6. The Motorcycle Diaries (more for Cinematography)
7. Finding Neverland (more for Art Direction)

There may be a chance for Million Dollar Baby, etc.

Best Visual Effects
1. House of Flying Daggers
2. Spiderman 2
I will try to recall ... etc

Best Animation
My vote goes to "The Incredibles" too.
However, I was surprised that the People's Choice was "Shrek 2".
If there are enough publicity, "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Ghost in the Shell 2" might be nominated. But winning is tougher.

oscar jubis
01-12-2005, 07:36 PM
If Charlie Kaufman doesn't win Best Original Screenplay my wife will have to watch the rest of the show on her own.

hengcs
01-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by oscar jubis
If Charlie Kaufman doesn't win Best Original Screenplay my wife will have to watch the rest of the show on her own.

ha ha ha
there is a high chance it will win ... BECAUSE

Best Adapted Screenplay
1. Jim Taylor (Sideways) -- will win
2. Paul Haggis (Million Dollar Baby) -- may win
3. Patrick Marber (Closer)
etc

Best Original Screenplay
1. Charlie Kaufman (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)
2. Bill Condon (Kinsey)
3. Bad Education -- Since it is NOT in English, will this get overlooked?
etc

arsaib4
01-13-2005, 12:10 AM
Best Foreign Film: Two of the strongest contenders are “Strayed” (France) and “Blind Shaft” (China)

Originally posted by hengcs
France did not submit Strayed and I think Taiwan submitted Blind Shaft last year. [/B]

Correct, France didn't submit Strayed but the film wasn't eligible (according to rules for 2005--The film must be first released in the country submitting the film between October 1, 2003 and September 30, 2004). Strayed was released in August '03 in France. Instead France has submitted the rather bland and "Miramaxical," Les Choristes.

China has sent in House of Flying Daggers. Blind Shaft wasn't officially shown in China due to its content and thus wasn't eligible. Taiwan sent in Goodbye Dragon Inn last year.

*I love both Strayed and Blind Shaft and I wish they were nominated instead.

cinemabon
01-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks, Arsaib4, for the update. I guess I'll have to adjust that catagory. I also neglected to mention DiCaprio for Actor (which he may win) and the category of Cinemaphotography (where The Aviator already has the votes).

I really hope you are right, Oscar (Jubis). Eternal Sunshine was probably one of the most original scripts to come along in a while. I do not share your enthusiasm, however, for Jim Carey or his performance. Jim's tries very hard to be a dramatic actor. So did Chaplin. However, people remember Charlie for comedy, not pathos (please don't invoke the little tramp. The little tramp was pure hilarity, with a 'touch' of pathos). The same is true for Carey. While his comedy is right on the money. His drama is forced and it shows when blown up to fifty feet of visual canvas.

hengcs
01-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Writers Guild nominations ...

Best Original Screenplay
-- The Aviator
-- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
-- Garden State
-- Hotel Rwanda
-- Kinsey

Adapted Screenplay
-- Before Sunset
-- Mean Girls
-- Million Dollar Baby
-- The Motorcycle Diaries
-- Sideways

;)

cinemabon
01-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Nothing like the Golden Globes to get a feel for the community. There was a huge cheer for Eastwood when his nomination was announced, and almost nothing for Scorsese. Marty may not get the prize he covets so well for so long. That would be a shame since I feel he has delivered art more often than Eastwood has. However, many people feel this is the year for art, and Eastwood has perfected his. Clint's turn around from macho hero to artist (that's ar-teest!) is a major PR coup for the aging actor. Many feel he got passed over last year, and deserves the Oscar (again) this year. We shall see. The tension mounts. And the winner is...

hengcs
01-17-2005, 01:48 AM
There was a huge cheer for Eastwood when his nomination was announced, and almost nothing for Scorsese. Marty may not get the prize he covets so well for so long. That would be a shame since I feel he has delivered art more often than Eastwood has. However, many people feel this is the year for art, and Eastwood has perfected his.

Actually the "belief/rumor" is -- people want to credit BOTH.

So,
(1) If The Aviator is Best Film, then Clint will get Best Director.
(2) If Million Dollar Baby is Best Film, then Martin will get Best Director.

But who knows ... ha ha ha

hengcs
01-25-2005, 08:08 AM
ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Don Cheadle - HOTEL RWANDA
Johnny Depp - FINDING NEVERLAND
Leonardo DiCaprio - THE AVIATOR
Clint Eastwood - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Jamie Foxx - RAY

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Alan Alda - THE AVIATOR
Thomas Haden Church - SIDEWAYS
Jamie Foxx - COLLATERAL
Morgan Freeman - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Clive Owen - CLOSER

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Annette Bening - BEING JULIA
Catalina Sandino Moreno - MARIA FULL OF GRACE
Imelda Staunton - VERA DRAKE
Hilary Swank - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Kate Winslet - ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Cate Blanchett - THE AVIATOR
Laura Linney - KINSEY
Virginia Madsen - SIDEWAYS
Sophie Okonedo - HOTEL RWANDA
Natalie Portman - CLOSER

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
THE INCREDIBLES
SHARK TALE
SHREK 2

ART DIRECTION
THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT

CINEMATOGRAPHY
THE AVIATOR
HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS
THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT

COSTUME DESIGN
THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
RAY
TROY

DIRECTING
THE AVIATOR
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
RAY
SIDEWAYS
VERA DRAKE

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
BORN INTO BROTHELS
THE STORY OF THE WEEPING CAMEL
SUPER SIZE ME
TUPAC: RESURRECTION
TWIST OF FAITH

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
AUTISM IS A WORLD
THE CHILDREN OF LENINGRADSKY
HARDWOOD
MIGHTY TIMES: THE CHILDREN'S MARCH
SISTER ROSE'S PASSION

FILM EDITING
THE AVIATOR
COLLATERAL
FINDING NEVERLAND
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
RAY

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
AS IT IS IN HEAVEN
THE CHORUS
DOWNFALL
THE SEA INSIDE
YESTERDAY

MAKEUP
THE SEA INSIDE

MUSIC (SCORE)
FINDING NEVERLAND
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
THE VILLAGE

MUSIC (SONG)
"Accidentally In Love" - SHREK 2
"Al Otro Lado Del Río" - THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES
"Believe" - THE POLAR EXPRESS
"Learn To Be Lonely" - THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
"Look To Your Path (Vois Sur Ton Chemin)" - THE CHORUS

BEST PICTURE
THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
RAY
SIDEWAYS

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
BIRTHDAY BOY
GOPHER BROKE
GUARD DOG
LORENZO
RYAN

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
EVERYTHING IN THIS COUNTRY MUST
LITTLE TERRORIST
7:35 IN THE MORNING
TWO CARS, ONE NIGHT
WASP

SOUND EDITING
THE INCREDIBLES
THE POLAR EXPRESS
SPIDER-MAN 2

SOUND MIXING
THE AVIATOR
THE INCREDIBLES
THE POLAR EXPRESS
RAY
SPIDER-MAN 2

VISUAL EFFECTS
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
I, ROBOT
SPIDER-MAN 2

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
BEFORE SUNSET
FINDING NEVERLAND
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES
SIDEWAYS

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
THE AVIATOR
ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
HOTEL RWANDA
THE INCREDIBLES
VERA DRAKE

cinemabon
01-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Obvious shut outs:

Mel Gibson, Paul Giamatti, and Michael Moore! and Howard Shore for The Aviator

Surprises:

Clint for Best Actor? Vera Drake's Mike Leigh

Obvious Winners:

The Incredibles Animated Film

Sarcastic Winners:

Passion for Make - up? (Gibson on set: "Hey, Make up! Bring more blood!)

Many thanks to hengcs for the detailed posting. Congratulations and good luck to all the nominees. Also, the Producers Guild awarded "The Aviator" Best Picture (they're right 65% of the time) and Directors Guild prize is coming up this Saturday. They almost always pick the winner as everyone in Hollywood feels that if DGA picks the winner, then he/she deserves it.

oscar jubis
01-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Ranked according to degree of rage-inducement:

1. The Corporation missing from Best Documentary category. Also, Farenheit 9/11.

2. Eternal Sunshine of the Sleepless Mind missing from Best Picture. Also, Before Sunset.

3. (tie)Kevin Bacon missing from Best Actor for The Woodsman.
Hero not nominated, especially in Cinematography category.

5. Anne Reid missing from Best Actress for The Mother.

6. I haven't seen them but I bet the following submissions are better than most foreign film nominees: Voces Inocentes (Mexico), Turtles Can Fly (Iran), Nobody Knows (Japan) and The Keys to the House (Italy).

wpqx
01-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Can anyone explain why House of Flying Daggers wasn't nominated for best foreign language film, I thought it was in contention?

Eastwood is a surprise, although he was fantastic. I thought Paul Giamatti was a shoe in though, in fact I kind of thought he could win.

Why is Jamie Foxx up for best supporting actor? I'll assume you have seen Collateral, but he's the lead, the central and main character with more screen time than anyone else. In fact he's probably on screen 80-90& of the film.

Moore was slighted because he didn't submit his film for best documentary consideration. He went for a gamble to get a best picture nod, and he failed.

arsaib4
01-25-2005, 05:36 PM
*I don't know where to start but obviously I have no problem with Giamatti not being there.

*It seems like the academy nominated Foxx twice just to show that they aren't racially biased, and also, this way the chances of him winning one of the awards aren't as good. Julianne Moore went through this a few years ago (no she isn't black).

*I almost threw up when I heard both The Chorus and The Sea Inside were nominated, but then, I kind of expected that to happen (sorry hengcs).

*Not a biggest fan of Yimou's two films released this year so the cinematography award for Hero was enough I guess, no need to waste another nomination anywhere else for Daggers.

*Disappointed that both Ray and Finding Neverland are there. Eternal Sunshine should've been there instead.

*I'm glad that The Passion of the Christ got some technical nods, especially for cinematography which was absolutely brilliant.

I'm sure I'll think of more later on.

oscar jubis
01-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Winslet was nominated. Chances of winning: about 1 in a 1000. Giamatti's over-acting/histrionics is a major problem with his film.

arsaib4
01-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I just realized that; but yes, you're right.

arsaib4
01-25-2005, 07:09 PM
A Very Long Engagement got 12 (yes, that's right) César nods from the French so I guess we shouldn't feel too bad about the selections from our academy.

tabuno
01-26-2005, 01:46 AM
Eternal Sunshine of the Sleepless Mind will be missed at the Oscars, except for writing and actress"ing."

HorseradishTree
01-26-2005, 06:49 PM
I was hoping they'd at least give Alexander something like costume design or visual effects. Babylon was beautiful, and Gaugamela was a new way to shoot a battle. If Troy was nominated, Alexander should have gotten something. I blame the media.

Fan of Kubrick
01-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Here are my list of predictions. They are a mix of what I think should win and what will win. I skipped several categories, mostly because I hadn't seen any or enough of the nominees.

Best Picture: Million Dollar Baby
Best Actor: Jamie Foxx for Ray
Best Actress: Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby
Best Supporting Actor: Morgan Freeman for Million Dollar Baby
Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett for The Aviator
Best Director: Martin Scorsese for The Aviator
Best Original Screenplay: John Logan for The Aviator
Best Adapted Screenplay: Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor for Sideways
Best Cinematography: Robert Richardson for The Aviator
Best Editing: Joel Cox for Million Dollar Baby
Best Art Direction: Dante Ferretti and Francesca LoSchiavo for The Aviator
Best Costume Design: Sandy Powell for The Aviator
Best Original Score: Jan A.P. Kaczmarek for Finding Neverland
Best Makeup: Jo Allen and Manolo Garcia for Mar adentro
Best Sound: Scott Millan, Greg Orloff, Bob Beemer, and Steve Cantamessa for Ray
Best Visual Effects: John Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony LaMolinara and John Frazier for Spider-Man 2
Best Animated Feature: The Incredibles
Best Documentary: Super Size Me

cinemabon
02-01-2005, 10:12 PM
That clinches it for Marty. He lost the DGA Award (the bellweather for who will Best Director) to Eastwood. Clint Eastwood, denied last year for his effort, will more than likely be awarded the Oscar this year. The Academy almost always goes with the DGA winner. There have only been a few exceptions. Scorsese will have to try another year or belong to the group like Hitch or Welles, neither ever won.

"Where's your Moses Naaawwwwoooowww!"

Billy Crystal doing a bad Edward G. Robinson 'tough guy' impersonation and example of bad casting from "The Ten Commandments"

Fan of Kubrick
02-02-2005, 12:15 AM
There have been 6 exceptions... but I don't mind Scorsese losing too bad by now. In that group you mentioned, you can't forget Kubrick... he may have won a Special Effects oscar, but he belongs with Hitchcock in being denied to Directing trophy.

wpqx
02-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Ironically the only best picture nominee I haven't seen is The Aviator. So until that day, which will probably be sometime this weekend, I can't judge whether or not he deserves the award. Honestly I'm not too wild about any of the nominees. Solid craft is boring, I like innovative directors, and although Scorsese is an innovator, from I've gathered it isn't because of The Aviator.

Personally I was hoping Zhang Yimou would get a nod for best director, I kind of lost faith in Michel Gondry and Quintin Tarantino getting recognition, because their films were released too far back for the Academy to remember.

tabuno
02-07-2005, 12:05 AM
I have to agree with HorseradishTree about the Academcy nominating Troy over Alexander, perhaps it had to do with its star power? Anyway I much preferred Alexander over Troy for its more substantive portrayal and emotional conflict Alexander incorporated into its production as well as the less than obvious realism, particularly battle scenes.

arsaib4
02-10-2005, 09:45 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&e=1&u=/nm/20050208/en_nm/leisure_oscars_telecast_dc

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (Reuters) - The long walk down the Oscar aisle will be a lot shorter for some of this year's Academy Awards winners -- in fact, some will not make it to the stage.

Oscars telecast producer Gil Cates told the annual luncheon of nominees on Monday that he had major changes planned for the awards, including not inviting the victors in some categories to the stage.

Instead, Cates said they will receive their awards from a presenter parked in the audience. In other cases, all the nominees in a single category will be invited up on stage and the winner then announced.

And, finally, some nominees will get their Oscars the old-fashioned way, walking down the aisle to the stage after the envelope is opened and the name announced.

Cates said the changes for the 77th annual Academy Awards, to be broadcast on Feb. 27, were aimed both at saving time and making sure that every nominee is seen by a worldwide television audience estimated in the hundred of millions.

Many treasured Oscar moments have involved the trek to the stage, as when Italy's Roberto Benigni was named best actor in 1998 for "Life is Beautiful" and made an elaborate display of climbing over seats and people to get to the stage.

Cates, who this year, as in years past, made an impassioned plea for Oscar winners to keep their acceptance speeches short, said the main reason for the change was to "get more of the nominees seen on television."

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20050208/mdf852124.jpg

Johann
02-24-2005, 01:17 PM
The Oscars will be interesting.

My picks:

Best Picture: Ray
Best Actor: Jamie Foxx (Ray)
Best Actress: on the fence
Best Director: Martin Scorsese
Best Cinematography: Robert Richardson (The Aviator)

The rest I'll keep to myself...

hengcs
02-24-2005, 04:46 PM
3 days more ...

anyway, some of you may think i am fanatical over Oscar ... BUT that is actually wrong ... I never really follow until my stay in United States 5 years ago ... hiaks hiaks ... and I do NOT really campaign for anyone UNTIL UNTIL UNTIL ...

* drum roll *

1999/2000 - Haley Joel Osment
... but he lost to Michael Caine
I think Haley really deserves the Best Supporting Actor for that year

2003/2004 - Sean Penn
Hooray !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think he deserves to win.

And this year 2004/2005
- I am campaigning for 2 items

(1) Clive Owen
He really deserves to win the Best Supporting Actor.
He stole the show from all the other GREAT CAST!

(2) Les Choristes' Song - "Look To Your Path (Vois Sur Ton Chemin)"
The song is really VERY IMPRESSIVE, very meaningful and very well delivered.

;)

Johann
02-24-2005, 04:57 PM
You know what sucks?

In 1991 Robert DeNiro lost the Best Actor award for Awakenings to Jeremy Irons. DeNiro was incredible in that movie.

Does the Academy remember it's gaffes over the years?

arsaib4
02-24-2005, 06:33 PM
And this year 2004/2005
- I am campaigning for 2 items

(1) Clive Owen
He really deserves to win the Best Supporting Actor.
He stole the show from all the other GREAT CAST!

For quite a while I wasn't sold on Mr. Owen but the more I've seen of him the more he's impressed me with his no-bullshit attitude and his sedate mannerisms. You said that "he stole the show from all the other GREAT CAST!" I'd say the people around him are simply more popular than him, they aren't necessarily better actors. He was quite good in the otherwise mediocre King Arthur and do check him out in Mike Hodges' enigmatically morose I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.

hengcs
02-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by arsaib4
For quite a while I wasn't sold on Mr. Owen but the more I've seen of him the more he's impressed me with his no-bullshit attitude and his sedate mannerisms.

I am worried that he might not win the Oscar because

-- many voters seem to be friends of Morgan Freeman and might want to credit him after so many years of loss

-- many voters who pity Thomas Hayden Church for losing the Golden Globe might vote for Thomas

-- the Screen Actors Guild Award did NOT even NOMINATE Clive ... sigh

well, we will see in 3 days' time ... my vote still goes to Mr Clive Owen ... hee hee

arsaib4
02-24-2005, 11:05 PM

I am worried that he might not win the Oscar because

-- many voters seem to be friends of Morgan Freeman and might want to credit him after so many years of loss

-- many voters who pity Thomas Hayden Church for losing the Golden Globe might vote for Thomas

-- the Screen Actors Guild Award did NOT even NOMINATE Clive ... sigh

well, we will see in 3 days' time ... my vote still goes to Mr Clive Owen ... hee hee

You've made some valid points and it's obvious that you were quite impressed with his performance, and rightfully so. But I think the most important reason which will prevent him from winning the Oscar is that his film (Closer) isn't strong enough, or, in other words, isn't popular enough when compared to the rest. If I was forced to pick one I'd still probably watch it ahead of Sideways and Collateral but I'm not in the academy.

oscar jubis
02-25-2005, 12:20 PM
There's usually a surprise in one of the supporting actor categories and I'm hoping it's Owen over Freeman. I'm confident about my picks except fot the important best director and best film categories. This is who I think will win, NOT WHO I WANT TO WIN, which in some cases is a person or film not nominated.

DOCUMENTARY: Born Into Brothels

FOREIGN LANGUAGE: The Sea Inside

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Sideways

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

SUPP. ACTRESS: Cate Blanchett

SUPP. ACTOR: Morgan Freeman

ACTRESS: Hilary Swank

ACTOR: Jamie Foxx

DIRECTOR: Marty Scorsese

FILM: The Aviator

cinemabon
02-26-2005, 01:38 AM
Oscar, you can join me in my spit. Because, I am spitting at the screen when Marty loses to Clint (for that sentimental piece of "The Champ") and you can spit when "Sunshine" loses, because it probably got lost to all those old timers who still dominate the Academy rolls.

oscar jubis
02-26-2005, 01:58 AM
I like Clint's pic too, to be honest. But sez here it's Marty's time. Maybe I won't see him pick it up because, and I truly mean it, I will slip a dvd into the player if Mr. Kaufmann doesn't get an Oscar. I'll be thinking of you, buddy. Have the Windex handy though, just in case.

hengcs
02-26-2005, 10:18 AM
I also think that
-- Imelda Staunton (Vera Drake) should win the Best Actress Award.

I was EVEN more surprise when I realize that she is NOT that old. Yet,, she managed to convince you that she is in Vera Drake. According to some postings I have read (from some British), she really portrays the typical English women of that age at that times ...

However, all the talk are about Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby) and Annette Bening (Being Julia). Will people vote for the latter so that Annette will NOT feel bad for losing to Hilary the previous time?

Anyway, I am okay if ANY OF THE 5 win ...

Johann
02-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Well, if Marty doesn't win a trophy it might be time to take the position Luis Bunuel had:

"An Oscar? I wouldn't have it in my home".

JustaFied
02-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by oscar jubis
DOCUMENTARY: Born Into Brothels

FOREIGN LANGUAGE: The Sea Inside

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Sideways

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

SUPP. ACTRESS: Cate Blanchett

SUPP. ACTOR: Morgan Freeman

ACTRESS: Hilary Swank

ACTOR: Jamie Foxx

DIRECTOR: Marty Scorsese

FILM: The Aviator

You've nailed 'em so far, Oscar. I didn't think Cate Blanchett's performance was particularly memorable, though she is in general a fine actress so I guess it's not too undeserving.

I liked Chris Rock's opening, as well as the interviews at the Magic Johnson theater (coincidence that Albert Brooks was there, heh?).

And, when did the Counting Crows become so lame? Weren't they pretty cool like 10 years ago?

arsaib4
02-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Million Dollar Baby is the winner of the "Best Picture" Oscar. Clint Eastwood won the Oscar for "Best Director". Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman won the award in their respective categories.

cinemabon
02-27-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm happy for Eastwood and company. But that has to be one of the worst telecasts in Oscar history. Like Chris Rock said, "next year they'll drive through, pick up their Oscar and an order of fries." True to my word, I did have to clean off the front of my big screen TV. Next year, I'm going to Florida during the telecast and watch real movies on the big screen in Miami. Any good theaters there? Again with the kidding...

hengcs
02-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Best Motion Picture of the Year
Winner: Million Dollar Baby (2004) - Clint Eastwood, Albert S. Ruddy, Tom Rosenberg

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Winner: Jamie Foxx for Ray (2004/I)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Winner: Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby (2004)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Winner: Morgan Freeman for Million Dollar Baby (2004)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Winner: Cate Blanchett for The Aviator (2004)

Best Achievement in Directing
Winner: Clint Eastwood for Million Dollar Baby (2004)

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Winner: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondry, Pierre Bismuth

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Winner: Sideways (2004) - Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Winner: The Aviator (2004) - Robert Richardson

Best Achievement in Editing
Winner: The Aviator (2004) - Thelma Schoonmaker

Best Achievement in Art Direction
Winner: The Aviator (2004) - Dante Ferretti, Francesca LoSchiavo

Best Achievement in Costume Design
Winner: The Aviator (2004) - Sandy Powell

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
Winner: Finding Neverland (2004) - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
Winner: Diarios de motocicleta (2004) - Jorge Drexler("Al Otro Lado Del Río")

Best Achievement in Makeup
Winner: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004) - Valli O'Reilly, Bill Corso

Best Achievement in Sound
Winner: Ray (2004/I) - Greg Orloff, Bob Beemer, Steve Cantamessa, Scott Millan

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Winner: The Incredibles (2004) - Michael Silvers, Randy Thom

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
Winner: Spider-Man 2 (2004) - John Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony LaMolinara, John Frazier

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
Winner: The Incredibles (2004) - Brad Bird

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Winner: Mar adentro (2004/I) - Alejandro Amenábar(Spain)

Best Documentary, Features
Winner: Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids (2004) - Zana Briski, Ross Kauffman

Best Documentary, Short Subjects
Winner: Mighty Times: The Children's March (2004) - Robert Hudson, Robert Houston

Best Short Film, Animated
Winner: Ryan (2004) - Chris Landreth

Best Short Film, Live Action
Winner: Wasp (2003) - Andrea Arnold

oscar jubis
02-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Scorsese is the Susan Lucci of film directors.
You've got a friend in Miami, bon. Come on down!

arsaib4
02-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Damn it, hengcs! You type faster than me I guess...

JustaFied
02-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Quick comments:

Can't argue too hard against "Million Dollar Baby" as Best Picture, and Eastwood deserves his Best Director award, and Swank too for Best Actress. As for Morgan Freeman...this might have been more of a gift from the Academy for his many years of great work.

As stated earlier, nothing particularly remarkable in my eyes about Blanchett in "The Aviator". I would have preferred to see it go to Madsen for "Sideways", but maybe because I remain a strong supporter of that film (possibly the only one left on this web site).

Wonderful to see Charlie Kaufman get the Original Screenplay award for "Eternal Sunshine". His first one...it should have come five years ago with "Being John Malkovich". Loved his line, "No I don't want any more time, I'm ready to get off this stage". LOL.

Glad to see Payne and Taylor win for Adapted Screenplay for "Sideways". These guys have now written four interesting, provocative movies, and I'm glad to see them finally getting credit for it. Looking forward to their continued contributions in the future...

wpqx
02-27-2005, 11:13 PM
I was rooting for Sideways all night. By the end though it was really obvious it didn't have a chance. I really didn't care what won best picture though, I liked MDB as much as Sideways, and would have been content with the Aviator taking it as well. Plus I knew that Finding Neverland and Ray didn't have a chance. The director race on the other hand was bullshit. They are just determined to keep a competitive Oscar away from Scorsese, he was the best this year. I mean he really did the best job as a director.

hengcs
02-27-2005, 11:20 PM
What I like about the 77th Oscar?
- Sean Penn's defense of Jude Law !!!
hiaks hiaks hiaks ;PPP
- The song from The Motorcycle Diaries, delivered by Antonio.
- "Interviewing" people who have NOT watched the "best films" nomination ... ha ha ha

What I did NOT like about the 77th Oscar?
- I definitely do NOT like Beyonce's rendition of the song from Les Choristes! Can't the academy invite the kids from France? or at least use a kid from America ... the essence is totally lost.
- The beginning "pre-recorded" sequences about movies:
It is neither humorous nor enlightening.
- I do NOT mind the "aisle" presentation, but I do NOT like the "all on stage" segment.
- Overall, I thought Chris Rock was boring ...
- Finally, NO surprises ...

SinjinSB
02-27-2005, 11:42 PM
That's by far the closest the academy and I have come to agreeing on picks. I would have picked Don Cheadle, but Jamie Foxx was my second choice...that's the only of the major categories we differed on.

The show itself wasn't great. I like Chris Rock as a stand up comedian, but thought he was a bad choice for host. Why is Beyonce doing so many of the songs? It seemed very rushed and nothing was very entertaining to me.

Sean Penn needs to lighten up...it was a joke, not particularly funny, but a joke none the less.

arsaib4
02-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by SinjinSB
The show itself wasn't great. I like Chris Rock as a stand up comedian, but thought he was a bad choice for host.

I agree. Billy Crystal brings the "inside stuff" that Chris Rock simply can't but I still expected a bold performance with some controversial material but it wasn't there. I was disappointed.

arsaib4
02-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Yup, that's true. Wasp, the British film which won the "Best Short - Live Action" Oscar yesterday is available in its entirety online. High Bandwidth is required for proper viewing. I just finished it and I must say that the British can still pull out all the stops when it comes to kitchen-sink realism. Wasp is a fine effort. Here (http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=130231) it is.

Also available is one of the nominees from the same category. This one called 7:35 de la mañana (7:35 in the Morning) from Spanish filmmaker Nacho Vigalondo. I haven't seen this one yet but I plan to. It's available here (http://735am.com).

Enjoy!

hengcs
03-01-2005, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by arsaib4
"Best Short - Live Action" Oscar yesterday is available in its entirety online. ... Enjoy!

wow ...
THNKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i will watch when i am free ...

hengcs
03-01-2005, 07:11 AM
Hey,
I did NOT know about this story ...
So, I just want to share with the rest ...

It has to be TRUE because CNN also announced this today ...
;)

Cross posted from IMDB ...

by - hugobolso
----------------------------------------------------------
One of the biggest winner was Jorge Drexler. His story could be a Hollywood movie.

A uruguayan wealthy doctor (a little selfish) and musician prooves luck and have success in Spain as singer and composer, then director Walter Sallez ask for a song to his movie, for the motorcycle diaries, his song has success and it's nominated.
Then the villian (Gil Cates) do not counts him for the ceremony, because consider the Uruguayan very few know. That's make anger the singer and all the latin community. Gael Garcia Bernal decline the opportunity to be there. Antonio Banderas only accepted to sing with Drexler aprooval. Director Walter Salles who said that latin aren't darlings in Hollywood made a strong letter to the producer.

And finally the revange that typical Hollywood Ending. After the counting crows and extremely correct Beyonce Salma Hayak presented the song al otro lado del rio enphatise that the song was the first nominated totally in spanish and that was chomposed and original sang by Jorge Drexler with Antonio Banderas and Santana in the duet. The duet has nothing to do with the song, however Banderas and Santana as gentlemen made the best they possible could and more.

Finally the last moment Prince anounced the Award. And the Oscar goes to Jorge Drexler, all the Academy was delighted specially the latin comunity (Santana, Banderas, Hayeck. Because the revange is sweet he his acceptance speech was singing his song.

And if there is a looser is Producer Gil Cates, who not allowed to sing the song the man who though he was totally unkwown, proove that he was wrong when the Academy awarderd the artist.

This could not be a typical Hollywood movie?

----------------------------------------------------

I wrote:
thanks for the info!

Now, I think I can guess why the French kids are NOT invited to sing the song from Les Choristes. Anyway, although Beyonce is a good singer, she did NOT deliver the essence of the French song.

Also, I think Josh could have sung BELIEVE alone.

BY THE WAY, does anyone have the translation of the song from The Motorcycle Diaries?

hengcs
03-01-2005, 07:35 AM
More on the news ...

In fact, the Spanish-language press has been abuzz this past week with the scandal of Jorge Drexler's dissing at the hands of Gil Cates. After Drexler was informed that he himself was far too much of a nobody to sing his own song, he suggested several more famous alternatives, all rejected: "I proposed Caetano Veloso; they offered me Enrique Iglesias," he told the Argentinean daily Clarín. Drexler also floated the possibility of giving the song to Beck or Beyoncé Knowles (who, had she sung the Spanish-language song, would have made it a trilingual night; she performed both Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Learn To Be Lonely" from Phantom of the Opera and the French-language nominee from Les Choristes, not to mention a tepid duet with Adult-Contemporary heartthrob Josh Groban).

The producers' decision to serve up "Al Otro Lado del Rio" with extra cheese also rankled the star of The Motorcycle Diaries, the Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal, who had been scheduled to introduce the performance of "Al Otro Lado del Rio," but who instead boycotted the ceremony entirely. Walter Salles, the Brazilian director of the film, issued a press release calling the choice of Banderas "not only ethically, but aesthetically unacceptable." There's a long tradition of Oscar winners using the bully pulpit to espouse one cause or another, but Drexler's musical protest was unusual in its objection to the purely aesthetic crime that is the Oscar ceremony itself.

The press release by the director is here ...
http://noticias.uol.com.br/ultnot/2005/02/26/ult1817u2966.jhtm

oscar jubis
03-01-2005, 04:05 PM
BY THE WAY, does anyone have the translation of the song from The Motorcycle Diaries?

Provide a link to the lyrics and I'll translate into English.
By the way, I disagree with you regarding Cates' decision. It's his job to make the show interesting and entertaining, and I would rather watch an unprecedented Santana/Banderas duo than Dr. Drexel. Then again, I'm happy he got to sing a bit of his song onstage.

hengcs
03-01-2005, 07:59 PM
I think there are 2 parts to this:

(1) Respecting the original singers for their rendition of the songs (that is why the songs were nominated!) ... and to regard the original singers as "nobody" ... now they have to see it being "mutilated" by others ...

-- (the song from Phantom of the Opera)
That was why Minnie Driver was mad

-- (the song from The Motorcycle Diaries)
That was why the latino community was upset, and Gael Garcia Bernal decided to boycott the ceremony
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000005/nest/16208568
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000005/nest/16208427

-- (the song from Les Choristes)
Apparently, few (if any) understood Beyonce's French ...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372824/board/nest/15319187
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000005/nest/16220253

- (the song from Polar Express)
Apparently, Josh alone suffices!
;)
again http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000005/nest/16220253

(2) If they have invited these original singers, and they could NOT show up for whatever reasons, I am fine with it!
;)

SO MUCH ABOUT ratings and viewership (by the producer Cate) ... yet most people think his suggestions did not work ... there is quite substantial bashing all over (on the net, on TV, in conversations with friends, etc) ...
e.g.,
-- Chris Rock ?! apparently, the ratings were 5% lower than LAST YEAR ...
-- awarding at the isles and making all nominees stand on a row
-- getting SUPPOSEDLY bigger stars (Beyonce?!) to sing ...

Did it work? Frankly, in my very humble opinion, having watched the Oscar for the last few years ... it was the MOST boring one I have seen ...