PDA

View Full Version : Ken Loach's A Fond Kiss: A Review

Chris Knipp
01-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Star-crossed lovers with authentic accents

[SEE THIS AND OTHER RECENT RELEASES REVIEWED BY CHRIS KNIPP AT: http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/viewforum.php?f=1]

Ken Loach's very touching, realistic A Fond Kiss (actually "Ae Fond Kiss"; it's a phrase from a Robert Burns poem) is a Glasgow star-crossed lovers story. A blonde lady called Roisin (Eva Birthistle) teaches music in a state-supported Catholic school. She and Casim (Atta Yaqub) meet and fall in love. Casim grew up in Glasgow but has Pakistani Moslem parents. He breaks out of an arranged marriage and lives with Roisin. For living out of wedlock Roisin's moved out of the Catholic school, where she's a favorite of students, before end of term. Casim's family uses every wile to lure him back to the arranged marriage, but he and Roisin stay together and say a gently ironic pledge of loyalty to each other. They know (and we know) it's not going to be easy.

A little rough-hewn like its Glasgow environment, A Fond Kiss is simple and sincere. The principles are non-actors. In the wake of Mike Leigh's polished little gem, Vera Drake, we're aware of the rawness of this effort, but it has a freshness and emotional validity Leigh's techniques sometimes lose. There's a surprising amount of flesh in Casim's and Roisin's encounters: Loach may be socially conscious, but he isn't averse to being sexy. There's not the wit and the sophistication of the 1985 Frears/Kureishi collaboration My Beautiful Laundrette, which still stands as perhaps the classic British cross-cultural love story and also one of the most novelistically complex films in English of the past two decades.

Maybe A Fond Kiss has its emotional impact for just that reason: it sticks firmly to the saga of Casim and Roisin: all external events and characters are seen exclusively in relation to them, though the emotional pain felt by Casim's parents at "losing" their son is vividly shown. Laundrette shone at treating a gay love story within the context of other, straight, experiences, such as the world weary gloom of Omar's Papa, and the burgeoning capitalism of other relations. Loach's film has a thicker patina of authenticity: the Glaswegian accents are sometimes near-impenetrable and you can follow better when the Pakistanis are talking in Urdu with subtitles. It's an essential point that Casim's English is as Glaswegian as Roisin's, and a slicker actor couldn't have acheived that.

The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw noted "an unfashionable streak of optimism" running through A Fond Kiss while Philip French spoke of "an unusually romantic and non-political mode." True, on both counts, but "non-political" doesn't mean the social aspects of the situation aren't deftly and completely outlined for us. A BBC critic called Kiss "believable, intelligent filmmaking but quibbled that "considering the makers' pedigree, Ae Fond Kiss... is more of a peck than a smacker." US critics have given the film a fair rating, noting its cultural balance, but with reservations about the technical competence of the piece. All this is a bit unfair, because roughness has its virtues as polish has its faults. This is one of Loach's sunniest, most moving efforts; it's also one of the year's most emotionally real film experiences. It's a shame that due to limited release it won't be seen in theaters by more of the US public. Watch for it on dvd.

(Shown at Quad Cinema in New York in late November and early December 2004.)

oscar jubis
03-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Chris Knipp
Casim grew up in Glasgow but has Pakistani Moslem parents.

I think it's important to point out that Casim and his sisters were born in Glasgow. And that the father's strong convictions stem from painful experience: watching his twin brother killed by Hindus just prior to his coming to the UK and the racist prejudice inflicted on him upon arrival in Scotland.

For living out of wedlock Roisin's moved out of the Catholic school

Quite even-handed on the part of Loach and his regular writer Paul Laverty to create a situation in which the white female is also constricted by her own culture/religion's traditions. One is left to wonder whether racism also plays a part in the priest's decision not to grant a seal of approval to Roisin.

A Fond Kiss is simple and sincere.

I'm not sure it's so simple. Notice how Casim's decision is complicated by the fact that his behavior/decisions derails the arranged marriage of his sister Rukhsana, a marriage she ver much wants.

The principles are non-actors.

Except for Eva Birthistle as Roisin, who's pursued acting since 1997.

There's a surprising amount of flesh in Casim's and Roisin's encounters: Loach may be socially conscious, but he isn't averse to being sexy.

And the physical intimacy between Roisin and Casim is very much their own.

Laundrette shone at treating a gay love story within the context of other, straight, experiences, such as the world weary gloom of Omar's Papa, and the burgeoning capitalism of other relations.

I'm glad you bring up My Beautiful Laundrette. I bet several people reading this haven't seen it (hard to believe it's been 20 years). But it's equally relevant to bring up two more recent films starring Om Puri: East is East, and the kureishi-penned My Son the Fanatic. The former is to a large extent the same basic story as Ae Fond Kiss... given a more comedic treatment.

the Glaswegian accents are sometimes near-impenetrable and you can follow better when the Pakistanis are talking in Urdu with subtitles.

Glad to confirm the obvious: The dvd has English subs. Laverty's script is just as good as his previous efforts for Loach.

It's a shame that due to limited release it won't be seen in theaters by more of the US public. Watch for it on dvd.

As far as I know, this film only played in NYC and L.A. I know it didn't open in Chicago and Miami. Shame indeed. It's obvious you recommend it, but I may like this picture more than you Chris. Having seen all the other films I mention in this post and the similarly-themed French films like Lila Says, this one felt overly familiar to me at first. But Loach and Laverty found some new angles. Its major virtue perhaps is its even-handedness.

Chris Knipp
03-15-2005, 11:28 PM
I guess I should have said "was born and grew up in Glasgow" instead of just "grew up in Glasgow." I could have pointed out that Glasgow is working class compared to Edinburgh which is more professional class; but one can't say everything. I was writing somewhat after the fact, some time post-viewing, so this is not my freshest and most informed review.

From what you say here, I don't know why you say you like the movie more than I. "Found some new angles. . .its major virtue perhaps is its even-handedness" are not such raves. As I said, of all the movies I saw back east in December and January it was the one that moved me the most and seemed the sweetest and the most real. Maybe I expressed myself badly, and this is a case where I need an explicit rating system. I'm trying to be clearer about how I rate a film now.

Haven't seen all the other similarly themed movies you allude to and/or name, but is that a disadvantage? Not always....I wouldn't have to say like you that Ae Fond Kiss seemed "overly familiar to me at first." Watching a huge number of movies can follow the law of diminishing returns, as we see sometimes by testimony on this site, not that I would accuse you of that. What one can say is that to write a good review it's best to know the field well, but the problem is to have the full background knowledge and still at the same time to keep one's freshness of viewpoint. This is also a rule for any viewing of movies. If they lose their freshness or all start to seem alike, there's no point. Viewed with attention, though, a similar film can be totally different, don't you think? Directorial style, quality, feeling, culture -- any one factor can change everything about the result. (Don't take these statements as criticisms of your remarks. And I do hope people will see the dvd. Since this is not an intensely visual and beautifully filmed movie, less will be lost in the small format than in say, 2046 or House of Flying Daggers or Undertow.)

My Beautiful Laundrette I think is a very important and brilliant film. When I say Ae Fond Kiss is "simple," I don't mean that the issues in it are simple, but that the way it's put together is simple and a little rough -- though that works fine. Needless to say living in a mixed relationship isn't the least bit simple. It's the approach to presenting this situation that is simple, but that does not mean simplistic. To me "simple" is not pejorative. Simplicity is admirable, when it works anyway. However this lacks the richness and cinematic complexity of My Beautiful Laundrette, and is not as fine a film. However it may have a sense of reality and a directness of emotional impact that Laundrette lacks.

oscar jubis
03-16-2005, 06:56 PM

Haven't seen all the other similarly themed movies you allude to and/or name, but is that a disadvantage? Not always....I wouldn't have to say like you that Ae Fond Kiss seemed "overly familiar to me at first."

Indeed. Images from East is East and Lila Says (which I just watched at the fest) kept popping into my mind. Ultimately though, the Loach film achieved distinction for several reasons, among them: the characters of the Catholic priest and Carim's sister Rukhsana bring an added perspective not found on any of the films I mentioned.
Often folks tell me: "I liked such and such film" and I have to say something along the lines of: "if you liked that film, check out _____, which deals with a similar theme/topic but it's better because..."

I do hope people will see the dvd. Since this is not an intensely visual and beautifully filmed movie, less will be lost in the small format than in say, 2046 or House of Flying Daggers or Undertow.)

Yes! This film works well on home video.

It's the approach to presenting this situation that is simple, but that does not mean simplistic. To me "simple" is not pejorative. Simplicity is admirable, when it works anyway. However this lacks the richness and cinematic complexity of My Beautiful Laundrette, and is not as fine a film. However it may have a sense of reality and a directness of emotional impact that Laundrette lacks.

You're probably right. This matches my recollection of the Frears film, which I saw twice ages ago.

hengcs
03-16-2005, 09:04 PM
US critics have given the film a fair rating, noting its cultural balance, but with reservations about the technical competence of the piece. All this is a bit unfair, because roughness has its virtues as polish has its faults. This is one of Loach's sunniest, most moving efforts; it's also one of the year's most emotionally real film experiences. It's a shame that due to limited release it won't be seen in theaters by more of the US public.

I have recently travelled an hour just to catch this movie.
I would rate it as GOOD to VERY GOOD, but not excellent.

As most of the commendable things have been highlighted by you people, I shall skip it. I find it good on 2 accounts:
-- Its simplicity and realism.
-- Maybe its sense of humor.

So, why do I NOT think it is excellent, but only good to very good?

Well, I think the director was rather "one dimensional" or "bias" in his portrayal of Casim's family. To some extent, he even portrayed them as scheming and spiteful. However, there are BETTER ways to portray exactly the SAME set of events to spark DILEMMA, which the director failed to do so.

The director simply portrayed everything that the older generation did as ridiculous or unbelievably passe (e.g., comparing qualifications, marrying cousins, the dogs & sign board, etc.)

Noteworthy, I find that there is insufficient screen time (or script time) that was written to depict the bond (if any) between the family and Casim to make us feel his dilemma. Instead, only "words" are mentioned (as opposed to anecdotes): e.g., the sister's marriage was affected; or his father had such a horrible past; etc. These, however, do NOT translate to any emotional connection with the audience!

In a way, the director seemed very keen to salute the CORRECTNESS in rebelling against tradition, religion and the "older generation" -- or more simply, INDIVIDUAL's freedom and right!!!

In my very humble opinion, being an Asian, who comes from a multi-racial society, the issues about inter-racial marriages/inter religion (only for some religion) are often very intricate and the line between right/wrong is often more vague than is portrayed.

hengcs
03-16-2005, 09:10 PM
(deleted)

arsaib4
03-16-2005, 09:25 PM
I like the reserve praise Chris has rendered in his review. He was moved by the film and I admire that he mentioned it, but more importantly, he has also acknowledged the film's shortcomings alongside with it. This is a very "simple" film, much better than the cartoon-ish East is East but comes no where close to the Prasad/Qurieshi effort My Son the Fanatic starring the inestimable Om Puri. Simple? We've seen the ups-and-downs of romance on several occasions and we shouldn't look at it differently just because the pair in intercultural. In many films involving a relationship between a White woman and a Brown/Black man, cultural issues do come into play and again it's nothing new. I've always admired the research Loach does for his films whether it's about Irish railway workers or illegal Mexican employees and once again, the scenes involving Casim's parents are very believable. Performances are uneven however, especially his older sisters seems wooden in her scenes with Roisin. Loach has put his lonely woman against an another world w/out much support. We always hear about her friends and family but don't actually see them. Didn't she consulted others when she was heartbroken on a couple of occasions? Loach also couldn't restrain himself and went for the cheap shot at the Catholic church by bringing in a stick figure who already seemed pissed at something or another, I thought it wasn't the right way to handle this sequence.

I would've liked to see Loach start the film where Ae Fond Kiss ended. It'd be interesting to see how both of them tolerated their differences and their families and how they just adjusted to the society around them. That would certainly require better performers (especially male). Too bad Loach can't go with a project with someone like Casim's sister getting involved with a White male. Britain is still a hotbed for racial/cultural violence and what recently happened to Theo van Gogh (in Holland) is fresh on everyone's minds.

Chris Knipp
03-18-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm glad a discussion is starting up. Ae Fond Kiss brings up many issues and its direct emotional impact helps do that. On the other hand Hanif Kureishi is a very very good writer, witty, knowing, sophisticated, ironic, rich in his allusions. To me My Beautfiful Laundrette is like a novel, working on so many levels, and sly and knowing it its handling of all its characters. A very fine cast and good images add to the rich effect; this was one of those amazing early Daniel Day Lewis performances, and the other actors in Laundrette are equally fine, several distinguished. Many droll moments, but also a touching and original ones, especially in the fresh treatment of a gay cross-cultural relationship. Loach doesn't have as good or as multilayered a script, or as talented a cast. But ... as Ive said more than once, the very simplicity gives the film an edge. Both hencgs and arsaib4 have good comments. We have to bear in mind that Loach is a more socially conscious director than Stephen Frears or anyway a markedly less commercial one. That has a lot to do with the differences of quality and effect.

Howard Schumann
03-21-2005, 10:17 AM
AE FOND KISS

Directed by Ken Loach (2004)

Ae fond kiss, and then we sever; Ae fareweel, alas, forever! - Robert Burns

Roisin Hanlon (Eva Birthisle) is a spunky young Irish woman who teaches music at a Glasgow Catholic school. She is still married but no longer lives with her husband, a situation that will later affect her tenure at the school. After a fracas at school in which a young Muslim girl is being chased by bullies, she meets and begins a relationship with Casim Khan (Atta Yaqub), a Pakistani disc jockey in Glasgow clubs who plans to open his own club. Ae Fond Kiss is the third in the Glasgow series by director Ken Loach and screenwriter Paul Lavery (My Name is Joe, Sweet Sixteen). It is much lighter in tone than his previous films and avoids scenes of poverty, drugs, and urban decay, characteristic of many of his other films. Though Ae Fond Kiss is basically a romantic drama, it has a great deal to say about issues of class, race, and religion and does so in a very forthright manner.

Casim, a second-generation Pakistani, is very close to his parents, Tariq and Sadia (Ahmad Riaz and Shamshad Akhtar) and his two sisters, Rukhsana (Ghizala Avan) and Tahara (Shabana Bakhsh). Rukhsana is expected to marry Amar, a scientist from a prominent family in an arranged marriage, while Tahara rebels against her parents wishes for her to become a doctor and plans on studying Journalism at the University of Edinburgh. His relationship with Roisin is opposed by his family who has arranged a marriage between him and a Pakistani girl and have built an extension to the family home for them to live in.

The relationship between Roisin and Casim becomes more intense when they travel to Spain for a short vacation. Near the end of the trip, however, he tells her that he is engaged to marry in nine weeks, a marriage arranged by his family that cannot be canceled. Roisin feels betrayed by Casim's revelation and seems unable to understand how torn Casim is between his devotion to his parents and his growing love for her. Newcomer Birthisle does an excellent job in portraying a tough-minded independent woman who is willing to stand up to social pressure and be true to her deepest feelings. "It will break their hearts, destroy them," Casim says talking about having her meet his Muslim family. ‘What about your heart, and my heart?’ Roisin replies.

Casim tells her that he has personally seen the racism directed towards his family and believes that adherence to his culture's values is the community's best hope for survival. Nonetheless, he tells his mother to cancel the arranged wedding and decides to move in with Roisin even though he knows the ramifications it will have in the community. Things start to get tough for Roisin as well. She learns that she is in line for a full time position at the school if she can gain the approval of her parish priest (Gerard Kelly) but he has other thoughts. In a scene that will make you duck to avoid the flying sparks, he berates Roisin for 'living in sin" with a non-Catholic while still married and refuses to give his approval unless she leaves Casim.

To complicate matters further, Casim's sister Rukhsana visits Roisin and also asks her to leave him. Roisin, however, tells her that she loves her brother and Rukhsana replies, "I know but for how long? I do not know how typical Casim's family's reaction is to his relationship with a "goree" (white girl) but Loach shows them without any willingness to give an inch. One wishes that there was a solution that would make both parties happy but such is not the case. The parents will not acknowledge that their children are living in a different world or encourage them to make their own choices. On the other hand, Roisin can only see the problem in terms of her own needs and desires. Ae Fond Kiss may not be Loach's best work but it is very real and involving and one of the few that ends on an optimistic note. Though the story of star-crossed lovers has been told before, it has rarely been related with as much honesty, insight, and beauty.

GRADE: A-

oscar jubis
03-21-2005, 10:57 AM
I also liked this film very much. One correction below.

Originally posted by Howard Schumann
In a scene that will make you duck to avoid the flying sparks, he berates Roisin for 'living in sin" with a non-Catholic while still married and refuses to give his approval unless she leaves Casim.

Roisin is not married. She's divorced. The priest is following Catholic dogma to the letter. She needs a seal of approval which basically means that she's a "good catholic". According to the church, a good catholic cannot have sex with a person if not married to him/her. Once you get married in the church and divorce you may not do so again unless you request an annullment and your request is granted. The course of action the priest suggests is for 1) Roisin to stop living with and having sex with Casim, 2) to request an annullment and if granted, 3) to have him convert to Catholicism so they can get married in the church and raise their kids as Catholics. "The faith of our forefathers is not for the faint-hearted" he states. Of course there are some priests that would have stamped the form for her, but they'd be deviating from church doctrine. Many do, or at least de-emphasize some of it. The church has lost a lot of members to Protestantism, most notably in Latin America, which doesn't seem to bother this one: "You go home, you kick him out and get married. And if you're not prepared to do that, I suggest you go and teach the Protestants."

Howard Schumann
03-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by oscar jubis
I also liked this film very much. One correction below.

Roisin is not married. She's divorced. The priest is following Catholic dogma to the letter. She needs a seal of approval which basically means that she's a "good catholic". According to the church, a good catholic cannot have sex with a person if not married to him/her. Once you get married in the church and divorce you may not do so again unless you request an annullment and your request is granted. The course of action the priest suggests is for 1) Roisin to stop living with and having sex with Casim, 2) to request an annullment and if granted, 3) to have him convert to Catholicism so they can get married in the church and raise their kids as Catholics. "The faith of our forefathers is not for the faint-hearted" he states. Of course there are some priests that would have stamped the form for her, but they'd be deviating from church doctrine. Many do, or at least de-emphasize some of it. The church has lost a lot of members to Protestantism, most notably in Latin America, which doesn't seem to bother this one: "You go home, you kick him out and get married. And if you're not prepared to do that, I suggest you go and teach the Protestants." My understanding is that she was not divorced. You cannot get an annulment if you are already divorced. it is either one or the other. The only way an annulment makes any sense is that she was married but never divorced. If she was divorced, the only way she could remarry in the Catholic church would be to get a special dispensation from the heirarchy. Otherwise, she would have to do what Charles and Camilla are doing, marry in a civil ceremony and have a reception at the church.

Chris Knipp
03-21-2005, 12:54 PM
These technical Catholic issues are no doubt important, but the more important thing, isn't it, is that Roisin gets pushed out of her teaching job where she's good and much loved by her students, because she's living with a man she's not married to, not to mention a non-Christian -- and the fact that the couple is going to have trouble just being a couple because of society's attudes and families and coworkers of both partners. Or am I wrong? I wish you'd put more emphasis on the personal crisies as shown in specific scenes and moments, that's what the film is made of. This would include the very vivid confrontation of Casim with his father when he makes it clear he isn't going to go into the arranged marriage, and several of the intense conversations between Casim and Roisin.

oscar jubis
03-21-2005, 03:04 PM
I know as a matter of fact that an annulment post-divorce is possible. Out of us five kids, my youngest sister is the only one who married in the Catholic Church. She is the only one who is divorced. Her ex-husband wants to marry a girl who insists on a Catholic wedding. He has completed the application for annulment of his marriage with my sister, five years after their divorce. I consulted the practicing Catholic in my family, my mother, and she assured me annulment is possible after divorce, and just as difficult to obtain. Apparently there are only three avenues: marriage not consumated, marriage under duress, and married while mentally ill. My former brother-in-law is lying to the church, by the way, so sis simply refused to fill out the forms sent to her rather than expose his deception. She is planning on conversion to Judaism if her current relationship ends in marriage. If Roisin was still married, the priest character would have explored the possibility of reconciliation with her husband before anything else.

trevor826
04-17-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't mind admitting that I'm surprised how much debate this film has caused, I personally thought it was a kop out especially for a Ken Loach film, it's actually a slight sugar coated multicultural romance that gently skirts over any major issues. Don't forget this was post 9/11 with an ongoing war in Iraq, Bush and Blair doing their best to spread fear amongst the masses (something that Blair is still doing with a general election coming up). Muslims I know and even non Muslims who just happened to be the wrong colour were receiving more and more abuse.

I expected Mr Loach to dig a little deeper and provide something for people to be able to talk about, maybe my expectations were too high but I left the cinema dissapointed. It says it all when my wife enjoyed it more than I did, she loves Rom coms and in the end that's pretty much all this was.

Cheers Trev.

arsaib4
04-17-2005, 06:19 PM
I think we're in agreement on Ae Fond Kiss. I remember we had a few exchanges on the other board where you brought up similar issues in regards to this film; it was hard to ignore a Ken Loach release here but I also expected more.

Howard Schumann
04-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by trevor826
I don't mind admitting that I'm surprised how much debate this film has caused, I personally thought it was a kop out especially for a Ken Loach film, it's actually a slight sugar coated multicultural romance that gently skirts over any major issues. Don't forget this was post 9/11 with an ongoing war in Iraq, Bush and Blair doing their best to spread fear amongst the masses (something that Blair is still doing with a general election coming up). Muslims I know and even non Muslims who just happened to be the wrong colour were receiving more and more abuse.

I expected Mr Loach to dig a little deeper and provide something for people to be able to talk about, maybe my expectations were too high but I left the cinema dissapointed. It says it all when my wife enjoyed it more than I did, she loves Rom coms and in the end that's pretty much all this was.

Cheers Trev. Sometimes a good romantic comedy is better than a film that tries to tackle major issues. All his films cannot be social commentary. Give the guy a break. I thought this was a highly enjoyable film with relationships that were believable and emotionally affecting.

trevor826
04-18-2005, 02:45 AM
The thing is the timing was perfect to take this subject and use it in a positive way and get people talking, this was a Ken Loach and he is the director who could have done it.

I'm not a Ken Loach fan but he's not usually one to back off on matters of importance, Catholic woman, Muslim man the perfect match to confront a number of issues.

Howard Schumann
04-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by trevor826
The thing is the timing was perfect to take this subject and use it in a positive way and get people talking, this was a Ken Loach and he is the director who could have done it.

I'm not a Ken Loach fan but he's not usually one to back off on matters of importance, Catholic woman, Muslim man the perfect match to confront a number of issues. Just curious -- what direction do you think the film should have been steered toward and what issues needed to be tackled that weren't?

hengcs
04-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by arsaib4
I think we're in agreement on Ae Fond Kiss. I remember we had a few exchanges on the other board where you brought up similar issues in regards to this film; it was hard to ignore a Ken Loach release here but I also expected more.

Add me to it ... (i.e., I agree with Trevor and arsaib4 that i expected more) ...

Originally posted by Howard ... (to trevor?! to arsaib4?!
All his films cannot be social commentary. Give the guy a break. I thought this was a highly enjoyable film with relationships that were believable and emotionally affecting.

Hmmm, I am not sure about others, but I do not need a social commentary.

All I felt that was "weak" was the lack of portrayal (and screen time) to immerse the audience into the family's thoughts and behavior. As a result, there was so much cheering and hooray for the two ... and little empathy for the family.

The audience can never feel the depth of the family's side of the story because only a few statements of what had happened were exchanged. instead, the audience were allowed to witness the entire emotions/thoughts of the two main protagonists.

e.g., There could be something about how the sister's marriage had been affected and annulled, even though she was not at fault. Instead, they only wanted to show how unscrupulous she was to drive Roisin to witness the "no spoiler" scene ...

e.g., There could be some effort depicting how the years of toiling (by his parents) to build a respectable family was "destroyed" instantly by their "great romantic" act ... in simple words, even if the family were to accept them, the community at large would despise them ... in essence, the community was just as harsh and threatening ...

instead, everything that might be viewed as "proper/traditional" from the family's perspective was ridiculed at ... i do NOT object to the humorous take ... but in a way, if you have read my earlier comments, the director has failed to even hint at the slight possibility that some "old/or outdated/or backward/or superstitious" parental advice may have some grounds ... such as the need to match education level, the need to NOT confuse marriage with courtship (e.g., he/she may accept each other now because they are so blinded by love (like most courtships) that they believe they can surmount ALL problems, but after marriage, or years of living together, the diversity and/or the social pressure may set in and split them apart, etc) ...

doesnt this sound familiar? like most couples who are madly in love during courtship and believe they can survive all odds, but eventually still end in divorce?!

in sum, i think it is an above average movie, but i have no problem with missing it either ...
;)

trevor826
04-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Don't forget this was post 9/11 with an ongoing war in Iraq, Bush and Blair doing their best to spread fear amongst the masses (something that Blair is still doing with a general election coming up). Muslims I know and even non Muslims who just happened to be the wrong colour were receiving more and more abuse.

There has always been and undercurrent of rascism, most of it so stupid I would redefine it as Colourism, 9/11 gave the racists both open and closet the ideal opportunity to "have a go" at anyone who in their eyes didn't look quite right. Friends and people I know well were scared to walk down the street without the threat of verbal or even physical abuse, these problems and the whole plight of the war were swept under the carpet for the film which did disappoint me especially with a director of Ken Loach's calibre.

In the UK multi-cultural relationships are seen far more often on TV than they are in real life so to me it just seemed like nothing special, it also took as much notice of reality as the soaps do avoiding anything too political.

Howard, I'm glad you enjoyed it for the light romantic drama that it was.

Cheers Trev.

Chris Knipp
04-19-2005, 12:08 AM
It's a little film and doesn't have the usual Loach bite, but I have to be true to my emotional reaction that Ae Fond Kiss was touching. Don't think you can blame it for not being about global topics, even granted Muslim's post 9/11 plight is a serious issue, that would be another movie.

But I mentioned My Beautiful Laundrette which I always cite as a great film about color, race, and sexual preference that's funny, charming, and emotionally valid while dealing with Pakistanis and the English and showing a family on many levels and with several significant plots; it's far richer than Ae Fond Kiss, almost as rich as a good social novel, without being a political or social treatise. That's my idea of a far better movie, but that fact doesn't make me want to say Ae Fond Kiss is a disappointment, because I responded to the couple. True, the family's situation could have been represented better, as older family members are better represented in Laundrette.