PDA

View Full Version : Not quite

Chris Knipp
12-22-2004, 05:10 PM
I agree that Clive Owen was the strongest actor in the movie, but I disliked the movie and would not give anybody an Oscar, though I'm not making up Oscar lists yet. The year isn't even over. Will write more about Closer later.

hengcs
12-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Let me talk about these 4 ...

I know a lot of people are rallying for Thomas Hayden Church (Sideways). I agree that his performance is very good.
-- But frankly, the amount of screen time he had with Paul made me feel that he is more like another LEAD actor rather than a supporting role.
-- He did NOT steal every scene. Some others are more compelling in certain scenes.

As for Jamie Foxx (Collateral)
-- While his performance is good, there are occasional times whereby one feels that his contorted facial expression is a bit "acting"/coerced rather than genuine.

Why did I really like Clive Owen (Closer)?
-- Despite Clive Owen's lesser screen time, he literally stole EVERY scene that he appeared. And he is performing opposite other just as powerful actors/actresses.
-- At the end of the movie, he will stick in your mind for a while.

I guess Million Dollar Baby will be showing much later, so I am not sure about Morgan Freeman.

Chris Knipp
12-23-2004, 08:55 AM
I get your point. It's a bit silly to say Church is a "supporting actor" in Sideways. I should think that the four characters in Closer are on an equal basis too, though, the way it's written. But I also agree that Clive Owen stands out. I liked Julia too, though she's more recessive than usual, which is what's good about her performance. But Owen was the strongest.

I have recently rewarched Sideways and am convinced Paul Giamatti has turned out a near-perfect piece of acting. Church is a good foil, but technique-wise, Giamatti is the man.

I am sad that critically The Life Aquatic is getting virtually trashed. Bill Murray has never been better. This is a superb vehicle for Murray.