PDA

View Full Version : Alexander (2004)

hengcs
11-29-2004, 02:21 AM
Hmmm ... I am surprised that no one has posted on this movie.
Okay, I know many critics have bashed it.
So, let's try to find a few good things that are worth mentioning.
;)

What is good?
----------------
- Definitely the choreography of the opening and ending credits! It is very well choreographed, with a very nice blue hue and imagery. The English letters/characters backed by the Greek letters/characters are nice too!
- The second battle (i.e., with the elephants) and what happened to Alexander at that battle.
- The performance of Jared Leto as Hephaistion.
- One can feel a lot of effort put into the production.

What may be weak?
------------------------
- I believe Oliver Stone tries to add humanity and drama to the movie by having more dialogues and interaction (as opposed to an action flick). However, the effort does not always deliver. Somehow, one would not feel anything for most of the characters. It is sad that one would feel anything when some of the main characters died.
- Again, there is a lot of effort in the battle scenes. However, given the recent avalanche of "computer generated" epic battle scenes, there are no surprises anymore.
- Somehow, I think the character of Hephaistion is "lost" in the movie. One fails to understand why the two were bonded, or what important role he played in Alexander's life.
- I also did not like the portrayal of Alexander's wife, Roxane. It just did not come across well.

In sum, I think there is a lot of effort.
;)

cinemabon
11-29-2004, 12:02 PM
SEE "FAVORITE FILMS" CATAGORY