PDA

View Full Version : Finding Neverland

hengcs
11-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Well, I like the film.
;)

It definitely seems like an art film rather than a commercial film. But who knows, with so many people "craving" for Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet, it might just turn out to be a commercial success!

What I like about the film?
------------------------
-- Definitely the performance. I like these 4 people -- Johnny Depp, Kate Winslet, Radhal Mitchell, and Freddie Highmore.
-- There are a number of rather touching scenes.
-- The mood of the movie is never too down, in fact it is quite funny, especially with the "cute" lines written for Michael Llewelyn Davies.
-- There are a number of "food for thoughts" issues ...

What may be weak?
----------------------
-- I do not know to explain this. Although there are a number of rather touching scenes, there are times whereby one may feel that the flow of the story could be better. It is kind of mechanical.

Conclusion: GO WATCH it, mainly for the performance!!!
;)

cinemabon
12-25-2004, 08:13 PM
This is one of a group of "catch up" films I've been trying to see in the theaters (the list has about six titles left). I was especially intrigued by Depp's performance, comparing it to last year's "Pirate..." movie.

I have to admit that Johnny Depp should remain in consideration for this year's Best Actor Oscar. He is literally in every single scene of the entire film. Depp's performance can be sumarized as sympathetic yet distantin keeping with the core of Barrie's character. While this film only touches on one summer in the life of Sir James Barrie, I found Depp's Scottish accent genuine and consistant throughout. In regards to its factuality, there was nothing I could find in his biography to back the assertions made in the film (the infidelity of his wife, his relationship with Mrs. Davies or the influence of their children).

Based on the play by Allan Knee called, "The Man who was Peter Pan," the story revolves around an accidental meeting in a nearby park between the widow, Sylvia Davies, her three boys, and James Barrie. Estranged by his wife, Barrie then forms a platonic relationship with Davies, offering her support by helping raise her children. The boys inspire Barrie to write his famous play/novelette "Peter Pan."

Regardless of the fact this film was release a month and a half ago, I believe Academy members should take a quick look back and regard Depp's performance as one of this year's best.

oscar jubis
12-27-2004, 01:11 AM
The film sanitizes and simplifies the relationship between J.M. Barrie and the Davies kin to create above-average family entertainment. At the multiplex, I walked past families with small kids lined up to watch the crass, vulgar Meet the Fockers. Way to go Mom and Dad!! Hope they've already seen Finding Neverland.

The weakest aspect of the film is the photography. Did anyone notice the extremely shallow focal length? A couple of times, even the character speaking was temporarily out of focus. Was it meant to evoke the state of photographic technology circa 1909?

I'm a Depp fan and his fine here, playing a role not challenging enough to merit a nomination. I bet he won't get an Oscar nom no matter how strong the Miramax muscle. It's Freddie Highmore, as Peter, who impressed me. Highmore and Depp will reunite for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.