The Audience Award
- The President's Barber

Akira Kurosawa Award
- Steven Spielberg
- Yoji Yamada

pmw
10-31-2004, 04:28 PM
hengcs,
did you attend the festival? Ive always wondered about this one but never really gotten a firm grasp on what it's central purpose is.

Im a little suprised the Hou Hsaio Hsien film didn't play as Tadanobu Asano seems to be the most popular dude in Japan as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the info.
P

hengcs
11-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Hi pmw,
Unfortunately, I did not attend the festival. I am presently based in San Francisco, CA. I have however watched some of the films, e.g. Kekexili. This film garnered the Special Jury Prize.
;)

I will post my feedback a few days later. Kind of busy this week.

As for the purpose of the Film Festival, I guess I cannot speak for the organizers. But I think the purpose of most countries' International Film Festival will include the following:
-- most countries want to expose their citizens to films beyond that of Hollywood.
-- in any country, there are likely movie buffs like us who want to watch movies that seldom make it to commercial screening.
-- finally, it may want to reward Asian films and Japanese films, by having different categories of award.

Noteworthy, I have recently attended the Mill Valley Film Festival -- they happened to screen about 6 to 7 Oscar Best Foreign Film category submissions. wow ...
;)
I will post my reviews some time next week too.

arsaib4
11-01-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm happy to see that the actor from Schizo got an award. I was lucky to see this film at Toronto.