PDA

View Full Version : The best version of "Dune"

stevetseitz
09-04-2004, 03:51 AM
To stoke the fire a bit I'll go out on a limb and say that the Sci-Fi channel's mini-series version of Frank Herbert's "Dune" is the best version. David Lynch's 1984 effort was a muddled mess. It had a good cast and some of the Lynch's ideas had potential, but dated special effects, distracted direction and lackadaisical editing crippled the production. Even if some mythical 8-hour director's cut exists, if the stuff in the theatrical version was the cream, the rest was better left on the cutting room floor.

HorseradishTree
09-04-2004, 01:32 PM
I'd have to disagree. Lynch's was the best in my opinion, with one of the greatest casting decisions: Patrick Stewart as Gerney Hallick (oh god, I feel horrible because I don't remember how to spell that).

Nothing beats the book, though, and if you haven't read it, shame...shame...

stevetseitz
09-04-2004, 05:07 PM
I'll agree that Patrick Stewart was a better Gurney or Gerney or however it's spelled!

cinemabon
09-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Which Sherlock Holmes did you prefer? Jeremy Brett or Basil Rathbone. I don't think age has anything to do with it either. It's a question of who has hit the mark in a way that reflects the essence of the material. In that case, Jeremy Brett.

In the case of Dune, the remake has many elements the film was missing. Despite David Lynch's efforts, his hands were tied by a very constricting budget, as was the television mini-series, with one exception. Visual effects have improved. (Remember the scene in the film version where there is a conveyor belt carrying figures in miniature? Today's audience would laugh as they left the theater in numbers.)

The television series, however had more time to linger on actors acting... and that has given the television version characters more depth. While some of the performances vary between the two, the Paul Atreides in the television version was able to work with and develop the character to a greater degree. Since he is the main character, I would have to side with the television version. Also, Vittorio Storaro's cinemaphotography was brilliant (Reds, Apocalypse Now, The Last Emperor, etc.). Using short sets with front projection, he was able to make us believe the film was shot in Arabia, when the entire project was shot on a sound stage. Extremely well done.

I did like the score from the film, but I believe the television version made up for it during the battle sequence which had a beautiful march by Graeme Revell (Daredevil, The Saint).

tabuno
09-04-2004, 07:28 PM
David Lynch's version of Dune was spectacular for its creepiness and the graphic depiction of depravity. The scene on the water planet was intimate and touching (something missing in the Sci Fi Channel's version). Instead the Sci Fi version was a watered down, more mundane and unappealing version for me personally. However, I must admit that the Children Dune and the extended sequels thereafter were magnificant and I commend the Sci Fi Channel for producing an excellent expanded movie experience that extends beyond Dune - I truly enjoyed the subsequent movies.